Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Fan powered oil cooler  (Read 21548 times)

admccrea

Fan powered oil cooler
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

Hey Guys,

I know there are alot of threads on oil coolers and I have been searching them all morning.  I remember finding a fan powered oil cooler but it is not the Ultra Cool.  Any help finding the other oil cooler would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Andy

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fan powered oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »

If you come across the Big Sky Fan,, dont waste your money,,, appositely worthless. There are a few threads on this forums discussing this product. do a search on Big Sky Fan and you should find a few threads. If i come across any i'll post them here

admccrea

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

I checked out the Big Skey Fan, not really what i am looking for.  The cooler i an looking for was round wit a copper coil inside and a fan on when end drawling air accross the coil.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »

I believe the one you are looking for is from Enigma Concepts Inc. Their website is under construction currently but I talked to them just the other day. They call it CAOCS 1. It is two parts one is as you described with a fan in one end blowing across and out the other end and the other part is another fan behind the horn cover. I posted some pictures of it installed on my bike here is the link http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54574.0
 I would be glad to answer any questions you have . I am happy with their product, very good people to work with.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »

Rooster, You have had this cooler on for a while now. Is there a big difference in your oil temps? I'm considering this unit. Doesn't take away from the lines of the bike and with the fans should work at any speed. Big review in the N.C. Full Throttle mag this month. Any more information or opinions would be appreciated.
thanks,
Ben :nixweiss:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:47 AM »

The fan comes on at about 165 on the gauge in my fairing. Warmed up running temp is 225 and so far have not seen it go over 232 in town bumping through the lights where it use to rise up to 245 or more depending how long you have to set. I have had it for just one thousand miles so far and outside temps not over 75. At about 70 outside after going through the lights and getting on the freeway and a few miles down the road have watched the oil gauge drop as low as 210. I will say my motor runs cooler with this setup than before so it was a good investment for me. I don't think any product is going to give you a 30 or more degree drop overall but in some circumstances it gets close. It is set up to let your motor warm up properly before coming on. And keep in mind I have a Jim's 131. They have installed these on sidecar bikes and Trikes and have seen great results on them.

admccrea

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »

Thanks Rooster, your original post is the one that I remembered.  I am going to check these guy out.  I have heat problems when running in stop and go traffic, I hope this is is the answer.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

Thanks Rooster, your original post is the one that I remembered.  I am going to check these guy out.  I have heat problems when running in stop and go traffic, I hope this is is the answer.
x 2 Thanks Rooster

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »

If you come across the Big Sky Fan,, dont waste your money,,, appositely worthless. There are a few threads on this forums discussing this product. do a search on Big Sky Fan and you should find a few threads. If i come across any i'll post them here
Why do you say its worthless? Have you tried it?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

admccrea

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

How was the installation?  do you have a t-stat or did you use a switch?

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »

This is nice, unfortunately the fans together only put out 48CFM where the Big Sky Fans put out 96CFM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150466346078&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

koobs i'm curious do you have any posts on this site that don't promote Big Sky?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »

Actually I do have a post about a Harbor Freight horn. :bananarock:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

Why do you say its worthless? Have you tried it?

obviously you forgot this thread...  got back and refresh your brain..   :confused5: :confused5: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54215.15

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »

I remember and I guess the answer is no you havent tried it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »

If it quacks like a duck then it must be a duck... 

Kinda makes you wonder if there isn't some vested interest in a product when 30+ of your posts are promoting that product... just sayin'.

Oh well... anyways... I guess our members can take your posts for what they are now. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »

so its just a coincidence that you joined advrider long enough to promote bigsky and then never logged in again?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »

I have heard complaints about some fans blowing to much hot air on your right leg. I can feel it but it is not overwhelming. There is a small t-stat mounted on the oil filter adapter. For me the only thing that cools better is the pouring down rain unless you can find a way to blow refrigerated air. ;D I am not affiliated with this company at all, I am just happy with their product on my bike.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »

I smell a rat............
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »

Just a Rooster here.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »

dont think keats was reffering to you rooster

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUI W/ SE103 & SE 6 SPEED
    • CVO2: 2003 FLSCTI
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »

Check out www.ultracoolfl.com. I had a HD Super Premium oil cooler on my Stage 1 103 and in traffic during Daytona Bikeweek the oil still got to 300 degrees. I use Mobil 1 V Twin 20w50 as well. The Ultra Cooler lowered oil temps in traffic to where it rarely goes above 250 degrees. www.ultracoolfl.com.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »

I remember and I guess the answer is no you havent tried it.

yes,,, i guess you could say i was fortunate enough that i didn't try your product, but it is a mere fact that i tried the exact same fan's x 2 (part number match to a witches tit) that you sell and I  respectively will tell anyone thinking of trying this arrangement to stay a mile away from them because they are worthless for cooling down a hot Harley engine. PERIOD!!!! And to be honest with you,,,,, they wouldn't cool down my Dual Core Computer running at idle.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:12:05 PM by cvobiker »

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »

dont think keats was reffering to you rooster
that would be correct..........
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »

yes,,, i guess you could say i was fortunate enough that i didn't try your product, but it is a mere fact that i tried the exact same fan's x 2 (part number match to a witches tit) that you sell and I  respectively will tell anyone thinking of trying this arrangement to stay a mile away from them because they are worthless for cooling down a hot Harley engine. PERIOD!!!! And to be honest with you,,,,, they wouldn't cool down my Dual Core Computer running at idle.  
Just curious about the fans you used. Since you didnt buy the kit, where did you get the part #? I cant find it listed anywhere.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »

that would be correct..........
It's Ok, no ruffled feathers here. I know there is no absolute cure but some help is good for me. At least I don't watch the oil temp just keep on climbing as it did before.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »

I have heard complaints about some fans blowing to much hot air on your right leg. I can feel it but it is not overwhelming. There is a small t-stat mounted on the oil filter adapter. For me the only thing that cools better is the pouring down rain unless you can find a way to blow refrigerated air. ;D I am not affiliated with this company at all, I am just happy with their product on my bike.

I'd say that I'd rather have hot air on my leg versus hot oil in my engine....

It's a compromise... bigger cubes = more heat = hotter oil... you can add capacity and a good cooler.

The ultracool is on my short list once I get the scoot back from the stealer.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:06 AM »

Just curious about the fans you used. Since you didnt buy the kit, where did you get the part #? I cant find it listed anywhere.

The crap that i tried is Cool Tron 9204  FD6025B12W11-81 ---- daaaa... same part number on the back of your stuff... And im dead serious about trying to cool my computer with these... i didn't have any thing else to do with these $14 paper weights, so what the hell tried them on my computer... (yes my PS does have a 12V output  :2vrolijk_21:) and guess what  :o  they didn't cool down my hot dual core processer..  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:  Im sorry,, i'm sure these 2 inch square fans are good for something, but they sure are not intended to cool a Hot Harley or a Dual Core Processor.. I'm thinking they may be help cooling a low powered lab test equipment, but thats about it..  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:35:01 AM by cvobiker »

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »

cvobiker,

I looked up that fan part number and the fan is rated for 40.25 cfm which is plenty of air flow for a 60mm fan and would do fine as a CPU cooler. The problem is that fan is rated to do that at 24v not 12v so no it is wonder why they performed so poorly for you. If that is indeed the part number from koobs's kit they are the running at half voltage.

http://www.cooltron.com/uploads/Cross%20list%20-%20Cooltron%20vs%

Something does not make sense here...

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »

cvobiker,

I looked up that fan part number and the fan is rated for 40.25 cfm which is plenty of air flow for a 60mm fan and would do fine as a CPU cooler. The problem is that fan is rated to do that at 24v not 12v so no it is wonder why they performed so poorly for you. If that is indeed the part number from koobs's kit they are the running at half voltage.

http://www.cooltron.com/uploads/Cross%20list%20-%

Mike,   Read my post....my pwr supply has a low amp 12 v source, the computer is a large tower with fan options all over the box. Ended up installing three six in fans. I'm not a cfm expert but can tell you the two inch fans don't even come close in comparasion to the bigger fans I used. I don't doubt they have plent of air flow, but they are intended for small space, such as electronic and or lab test equipment. Not a Hot Harley Engine...or a large computer tower box

MikeV
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:59:29 AM by cvobiker »

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

The crap that i tried is Cool Tron 9204  FD6025B12W11-81 ---- daaaa... same part number on the back of your stuff... And im dead serious about trying to cool my computer with these... i didn't have any thing else to do with these $14 paper weights, so what the hell tried them on my computer... (yes my PS does have a 12V output  :2vrolijk_21:) and guess what  :o  they didn't cool down my hot dual core processer..  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:  Im sorry,, i'm sure these 2 inch square fans are good for something, but they sure are not intended to cool a Hot Harley or a Dual Core Processor.. I'm thinking they may be help cooling a low powered lab test equipment, but thats about it..  :2vrolijk_21:

First of, that is not the right part # as the fans in the kit are 12V not 24V. Second, you cant just buy 2 of the fans used in the kit. They are rated at IP55 and you can only buy them at a quantity of 200. They aren't built till you order them. So unless you bought the kit which you already said you didn't, or you have 198 fans laying around, you didn't use the same fan.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

First of, that is not the right part # as the fans in the kit are 12V not 24V. Second, you cant just buy 2 of the fans used in the kit. They are rated at IP55 and you can only buy them at a quantity of 200. They aren't built till you order them. So unless you bought the kit which you already said you didn't, or you have 198 fans laying around, you didn't use the same fan.

spoken like the vendor of the product.

so i ask are you a representative of big sky?

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »

What I was referring to was the fan specs showing the fan was a 24v fan that moved a LOT of air. That's what did not make sense so I cross referenced the part number and found another data sheet that show the same part # and 2 different set of specs:

http://www.cooltron.com/uploads/Cross%20list%20-%20Cooltron%20vs%20Orion.pdf

FD6025B12W11-81 ★    40.20 CFM   6,600 RPM  47.00 dBA
FD6025B12W11-81    8.80  CFM   1,800 RPM  19.10 dBA

The only difference I found was the one marked with a "★"  had Auto Restart Protection (not sure exactly what that means).

So one is an anemic low RPM fan that does not move a lot of air and the other is a high RPM fan that is much noisier but moves more air. I have no idea why they use the same part # for 2 different fans.

I am not sure which one is used in the Koobs Sky kit but I am sure someone here on the forum has one that can share the actual part #'s.

BTW - you can buy 1-2 engineering samples of almost any manufactured product. I am sure I can get a couple of these fans with 1 phone call to the manufacturer.

MikeV

Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »

"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

A lot of the threads just feel like they are; but this one really is about hot air.   Oy vey.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

well since koobs has yet to answer the question.....
if he is not bigsky then he's doing them a major disservice by being here acting like he is. maybe we should contact bigsky and tell them someone is here ruining their name?

and if he is bigsky then he's violating the rules of this forum.

guess its no wonder he wont answer the question
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:35:58 PM by Fired00d »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »

Not to start anything or get off topic BUT,
Since you keep your bike in the basement and no more than you ride it,

I'd let my motor melt down like a nuclear explosion

Then you would probably burn your own house down in the explosion.
Then we would hear Mrs. d00d say like thousands of us on the site have said,

It's d00d's fault!

:huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

just sayin, , , ,

SBB
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:38:21 PM by Fired00d »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »

How was the installation?  do you have a t-stat or did you use a switch?
Install was pretty straightforward. Had to remove the oil cooler. No thermo, comes ready to plug into aux switch. Thermo would be nice, but only time I turn mine on is in slow moving/sitting traffic. Lowered mine better than 20 deg, if you can believe guage. BTW.....my temp sender comes right off the cooler output?????
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »

It is a shame because regardless of whether or not it is a good product the shill method employed here is such a put-off I will drop this company from consideration. It speaks volumes about the honesty integrity of the business and it's owners.

I still need an oil cooler for my CVO Softail Convertible. I think the H-D oil cooler is the one I am leaning to but I really want a fan solution preferably with a thermostat (for the fans, not the cooler). Any suggestions?

MikeV

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »

My name is Milan and I'm the owner of Big Sky Fan. And yes I violated the forum rules. I started making these kits couple of years ago when I overheated in Sturgis. Over the last 2 years I have upgraded to better fans and now are using ones that put out 48CFM and spin at a the rate of 8000 RPM. But because of the cost of the fans, E-Bay fees, Pay-Pal fees, shipping costs there is unfortunately nothing left for advertising, so yes I violated the rules here. I'm a one man shop and hopefully one day I can afford to advertise my kit. Till then word of mouth will have to do. So Moderators if you feel you need to ban me I understand.
I sincerely apologise for breaking the rules.
Milan

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »

Milan,

forgoing the previous posts for a moment. if you would like to participate here and promote your product we only ask you offer a 10% discount to the members.

as you have noticed we dont have any advertising here. if you make no sales then that 10% offer costs you nothing. if you did sell to a member here you wouldnt need to pay an ebay fee.

your choice to stay or go just gotta play by the rules

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »

Check out www.ultracoolfl.com. I had a HD Super Premium oil cooler on my Stage 1 103 and in traffic during Daytona Bikeweek the oil still got to 300 degrees. I use Mobil 1 V Twin 20w50 as well. The Ultra Cooler lowered oil temps in traffic to where it rarely goes above 250 degrees. www.ultracoolfl.com.

I have the UltraCool on mine also, works well and I had a serious overheating issue before installing it, now, like you, my oil temps rarely (if ever) get over 250, norm is around 235.  I had a small problem with it leaking but they were quick to send a new unit to replace it once I told them about it.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »

Milan,

forgoing the previous posts for a moment. if you would like to participate here and promote your product we only ask you offer a 10% discount to the members.

as you have noticed we dont have any advertising here. if you make no sales then that 10% offer costs you nothing. if you did sell to a member here you wouldnt need to pay an ebay fee.

your choice to stay or go just gotta play by the rules

I dint realize you dont have advertising fees. My mistake. I only did what I did because I cant afford the high fees most forums require. I will read the rules and make sure I do things right in the future. I will be glad to offer a 10% discount to anyone on this forum. In fact in order to redeem myself for violating the rules I will offer a 15% discount, where I basically break even on the kit, for the next 30 days. I really appreciate the second chance to participate.
Thank You Milan

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »

The part number and the fans I have is identical to the part number you sell, IP55 and all.  And where did you get 24V,, my discussions talks 12v. Don't know who your vender is, but there are several posts on other forums pointing where to to buy these. Never the less Millan, these fans do not serve purpose of cooling a hot Harley engine... PERIOD....I stand behind that, because I tried it. This is a free society, you can sell what you want (for the most part) and people can buy what they want.. And i can say what i want, therefore I'm here to tell members of this forum, i tried this set setup and it simply did not do a thing to cool my hot Harley engine in heavy traffic. If the members here want to take my advice and save $75? fine, if not its their choice. Now I'm done with this fan issue, I've got other things in the pot and much bigger things to try....

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »

What I was referring to was the fan specs showing the fan was a 24v fan that moved a LOT of air. That's what did not make sense so I cross referenced the part number and found another data sheet that show the same part # and 2 different set of specs:

http://www.cooltron.com/uploads/Cross%20list%20-%20Cooltron%20vs%20Orion.pdf

FD6025B12W11-81 ★    40.20 CFM   6,600 RPM  47.00 dBA
FD6025B12W11-81    8.80  CFM   1,800 RPM  19.10 dBA

The only difference I found was the one marked with a "★"  had Auto Restart Protection (not sure exactly what that means).

So one is an anemic low RPM fan that does not move a lot of air and the other is a high RPM fan that is much noisier but moves more air. I have no idea why they use the same part # for 2 different fans.

I am not sure which one is used in the Koobs Sky kit but I am sure someone here on the forum has one that can share the actual part #'s.

BTW - you can buy 1-2 engineering samples of almost any manufactured product. I am sure I can get a couple of these fans with 1 phone call to the manufacturer.

MikeV

Mike, I posted this part number on another forum last year.. I'm pretty sure I transposed the numbers correctly. I still have the exact fans Millan sells in his kit and will double check the part number tonight and post... In fact, I'll take a picture and post......

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

cvobiker,

Thanks, I am sure you posted the #'s correctly. I found incorrect info on a data sheet stating that this fan was 24v which unfortunately added a bit of confusion to the ongoing drama. On another sheet it was posted correctly as 12v but 2 different sets of parameters for the same part #.  :nixweiss:

As far as the Big Sky, it sounds like Milan upgraded the fans to perform better than previous models. I would like to hear from someone who has it installed with the latest higher RPM fans how it performs. Strictly by the numbers, the claimed amount of air movement should make a difference - now we need to hear from someone that has it to verify.

Either way, I pretty much decided to go with the one from Enigma Concepts. It has the all chrome / billet look I wanted and the parade fan hidden behind the horn makes it a nice low profile package. From what I have read so far it performs very well and the company is great to work with. I had a nice long chat with one of the designers yesterday and he answered all my questions and then some. As soon as they have the bracket done for my bike I will placing my order.

Thanks,

MikeV

admccrea

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

My name is Milan and I'm the owner of Big Sky Fan. And yes I violated the forum rules. I started making these kits couple of years ago when I overheated in Sturgis. Over the last 2 years I have upgraded to better fans and now are using ones that put out 48CFM and spin at a the rate of 8000 RPM. But because of the cost of the fans, E-Bay fees, Pay-Pal fees, shipping costs there is unfortunately nothing left for advertising, so yes I violated the rules here. I'm a one man shop and hopefully one day I can afford to advertise my kit. Till then word of mouth will have to do. So Moderators if you feel you need to ban me I understand.
I sincerely apologise for breaking the rules.
Milan

Milan,
doesnt see, like there is enough room behind the the stock oil cooler to add your kit.  How does the installation work?

:nixweiss:

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »

If you go the web site there you will find a installation page. It explains how the fans are installed.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/
Thanks MIlan

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »

I have had your fans on now for two years. I cant say anything bad about them. They arent built for a dramatic cool down but I do notice when I see I am hitting traffic, I turn them on and they dont allow the bike to become any hotter while plugging thru traffic. Once I am rolling again I turn them off and let nature do its thing. These people forget that a good tune is the most critical thing to keep your bike cool, so when they bitch your product isnt cooling their bikes down, it mostly because they expect your product to fix something that its not designed for.
When my fans quit working I will be replacing them with your product again. Good product and good price.
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »

:stupid:  i have them also,  no problems  cooling my build as listed.  hey  John!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »

cvobiker,

Thanks, I am sure you posted the #'s correctly. I found incorrect info on a data sheet stating that this fan was 24v which unfortunately added a bit of confusion to the ongoing drama. On another sheet it was posted correctly as 12v but 2 different sets of parameters for the same part #.  :nixweiss:

As far as the Big Sky, it sounds like Milan upgraded the fans to perform better than previous models. I would like to hear from someone who has it installed with the latest higher RPM fans how it performs. Strictly by the numbers, the claimed amount of air movement should make a difference - now we need to hear from someone that has it to verify.

Either way, I pretty much decided to go with the one from Enigma Concepts. It has the all chrome / billet look I wanted and the parade fan hidden behind the horn makes it a nice low profile package. From what I have read so far it performs very well and the company is great to work with. I had a nice long chat with one of the designers yesterday and he answered all my questions and then some. As soon as they have the bracket done for my bike I will placing my order.

Thanks,

MikeV

Mike,,

There are people here saying they work. I'd like to hear more from them in regards to their success ;D.. I tested these fans and even attempted to log some temp data reflecting before and after effects of what the oil temp gauge was telling me.. I simply used a white board marker (blue) and marked the spot on the gauge face at its hottest spot while going through down town Napa on a 95 degree day.. Stopped and had lunch, glass of wine and on return trip back, an hour latter and the fans on, when i started the engine, the oil temp gauge was dead on the same spot.... and i noted this same situation on several other rides. I challenge any of you saying they are working for you to to the same thing.. If you're honest with yourself,, you will see the same results.. and thats no bull... These fans do not work.. plain and simple.. take my word or go spend your spend your money, it's a free society. But just be honest about it.  :2vrolijk_21:

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »

I have a better idea...why doesnt he put a screaming eagle logo on it and charge another two hundred dollars, like the rest of harley's junk, and i am sure you will like it better. nothing better than a yuppie with a check book ( i guess thats as honest i can be). Personally there is only one thing better than taking benjamins from crotch rockets riders that think their bike is fast and that is yuppies with their screaming eagles that think their cvo's are fast.....we have had many a good laugh over it while we sipped our glass of beer and smoked a doobie. .................Used a marker ....lol give me a break.......buy a honda goldwing its more your style. Than you can sit around and sip your wine and bitch about people that actually try to better themselves with a contribution.
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »

Well well this thread has become interesting....

For me, I like to ride to work but the 45 mile trip brings me through a 15 mile traffic choke point typical of NYC. The bike runs hot in traffic and starts acting up if don't keep moving. Sure I can split lanes but not always given the narrow road and heavy commercial traffic.

So I am left needing a way to cool the scoot down or loose out on an extra 90 miles a day of road time. I'm halfway through my TTS VTune runs (interrupted by winter and snow) but I am hoping once they are done it will keep the bike running cooler. If not a good oil cooler is in my future cause I get pretty punchy crammed in on the commuter trains for 90 minutes twice a day...

That being said there's nothing wrong with making smart choices when that checkbook has to come out. This way you don't burn your hard earned benjamins buying the same thing two or three times cause you didn't do your homework. Heck, forget the marker, I'd use a IR temperature probe or FLIR imager if I had one handy to make sure I got it right.

MikeV
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:23:56 PM by MikeV »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

In my case I have noted different scenerios on oil temps with just the HD unit and I ran just the bottom unit for a short time but when I added the top fan it made a noticeable difference. I agree there is nothing that will totally cure heat issues completely but any help is welcome and the CAOCS  unit does work and so I will keep it in place until something better comes along.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

Rooster,

Do you think the top unit alone would make a difference?  That would make a nice mini parade fan if sold separately.

MikeV

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »

I honestly don't know. I didn't try it that way only the other. I think they compliment each other working together.

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

actually there is a solution that does  cool the oil.  i had them before on another bike It was a 116 jims stroker at 11.1 compression  never had a problem cooling the oil. ,  Its the dual jag oil coolers from bob woods,  750.00  and you have to remove hard lowers but they do work as they are out in the air flow,  but are kinda ugly , But function over looks.  they do cool oil down to 195 t0 200 degrees with no effort,  hmmm   may be put  two    big . sky fans on  each of  these for in town,  But ive been thinking its cheaper to buy two  10 row coolers from jag,  Also the jagg rep stated their oil filter adapter out flow harleys adapter and that makes a difference  in cooling .  Their adapter is kinda pricey though .  On the new build i have shown  i just sarted using redline 20-60  so we'll see what difference  that adds
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:28:30 PM by timtoolman »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

actually there is a solution that does  cool the oil.  i had them before on another bike It was a 116 jims stroker at 11.1 compression  never had a problem cooling the oil. ,  Its the dual jag oil coolers from bob woods,  750.00  and you have to remove hard lowers but they do work as they are out in the air flow,  but are kinda ugly , But function over looks.  they do cool oil down to 195 t0 200 degrees with no effort,  hmmm   may be put  two    big . sky fans on  each of  these for in town,  But ive been thinking its cheaper to buy two  10 row coolers from jag,  Also the jagg rep stated their oil filter adapter out flow harleys adapter and that makes a difference  in cooling .  Their adapter is kinda pricey though .  On the new build i have shown  i just sarted using redline 20-60  so we'll see what difference  that adds
I have used the Jag adapter on a previous bike and had to readjust it a couple of times as it wanted to twist with the filter other than that worked good.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

I have used the Jag adapter on a previous bike and had to readjust it a couple of times as it wanted to twist with the filter other than that worked good.

Jagg sells a small locking adapter to eliminate that problem.  For some (stupid) reason they don't include it with the oil filter adapter though.  They make you discover there's a problem (as they did) then buy the extra small part to fix it.

graemeD

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »

Mike,,

There are people here saying they work. I'd like to hear more from them in regards to their success ;D.. I tested these fans and even attempted to log some temp data reflecting before and after effects of what the oil temp gauge was telling me.. I simply used a white board marker (blue) and marked the spot on the gauge face at its hottest spot while going through down town Napa on a 95 degree day.. Stopped and had lunch, glass of wine and on return trip back, an hour latter and the fans on, when i started the engine, the oil temp gauge was dead on the same spot.... and i noted this same situation on several other rides. I challenge any of you saying they are working for you to to the same thing.. If you're honest with yourself,, you will see the same results.. and thats no bull... These fans do not work.. plain and simple.. take my word or go spend your spend your money, it's a free soci

I know this is old but I can't help myself.  I have been looking at oil cooler fans for some time and after reading this post I am couldn't resist.  If you stop for lunch and a wine and left you fans running, what made you think the oil temperature would drop.  If you left your engine running while you sipped your Chardonnay there may have been some evidence but as most of us would realise, if the engine is stopped, there is no oil flowing through the oil cooler.
Anyway, physics shows that air flow through an oil cooler will transfer heat so the more air flow the better.

Cheers,

GD
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 24 queries.