Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Fan powered oil cooler  (Read 21595 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fan powered oil cooler
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »

What I was referring to was the fan specs showing the fan was a 24v fan that moved a LOT of air. That's what did not make sense so I cross referenced the part number and found another data sheet that show the same part # and 2 different set of specs:

http://www.cooltron.com/uploads/Cross%20list%20-%20Cooltron%20vs%20Orion.pdf

FD6025B12W11-81 ★    40.20 CFM   6,600 RPM  47.00 dBA
FD6025B12W11-81    8.80  CFM   1,800 RPM  19.10 dBA

The only difference I found was the one marked with a "★"  had Auto Restart Protection (not sure exactly what that means).

So one is an anemic low RPM fan that does not move a lot of air and the other is a high RPM fan that is much noisier but moves more air. I have no idea why they use the same part # for 2 different fans.

I am not sure which one is used in the Koobs Sky kit but I am sure someone here on the forum has one that can share the actual part #'s.

BTW - you can buy 1-2 engineering samples of almost any manufactured product. I am sure I can get a couple of these fans with 1 phone call to the manufacturer.

MikeV

Mike, I posted this part number on another forum last year.. I'm pretty sure I transposed the numbers correctly. I still have the exact fans Millan sells in his kit and will double check the part number tonight and post... In fact, I'll take a picture and post......

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

cvobiker,

Thanks, I am sure you posted the #'s correctly. I found incorrect info on a data sheet stating that this fan was 24v which unfortunately added a bit of confusion to the ongoing drama. On another sheet it was posted correctly as 12v but 2 different sets of parameters for the same part #.  :nixweiss:

As far as the Big Sky, it sounds like Milan upgraded the fans to perform better than previous models. I would like to hear from someone who has it installed with the latest higher RPM fans how it performs. Strictly by the numbers, the claimed amount of air movement should make a difference - now we need to hear from someone that has it to verify.

Either way, I pretty much decided to go with the one from Enigma Concepts. It has the all chrome / billet look I wanted and the parade fan hidden behind the horn makes it a nice low profile package. From what I have read so far it performs very well and the company is great to work with. I had a nice long chat with one of the designers yesterday and he answered all my questions and then some. As soon as they have the bracket done for my bike I will placing my order.

Thanks,

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

admccrea

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

My name is Milan and I'm the owner of Big Sky Fan. And yes I violated the forum rules. I started making these kits couple of years ago when I overheated in Sturgis. Over the last 2 years I have upgraded to better fans and now are using ones that put out 48CFM and spin at a the rate of 8000 RPM. But because of the cost of the fans, E-Bay fees, Pay-Pal fees, shipping costs there is unfortunately nothing left for advertising, so yes I violated the rules here. I'm a one man shop and hopefully one day I can afford to advertise my kit. Till then word of mouth will have to do. So Moderators if you feel you need to ban me I understand.
I sincerely apologise for breaking the rules.
Milan

Milan,
doesnt see, like there is enough room behind the the stock oil cooler to add your kit.  How does the installation work?

:nixweiss:

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »

If you go the web site there you will find a installation page. It explains how the fans are installed.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/
Thanks MIlan

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »

I have had your fans on now for two years. I cant say anything bad about them. They arent built for a dramatic cool down but I do notice when I see I am hitting traffic, I turn them on and they dont allow the bike to become any hotter while plugging thru traffic. Once I am rolling again I turn them off and let nature do its thing. These people forget that a good tune is the most critical thing to keep your bike cool, so when they bitch your product isnt cooling their bikes down, it mostly because they expect your product to fix something that its not designed for.
When my fans quit working I will be replacing them with your product again. Good product and good price.
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »

:stupid:  i have them also,  no problems  cooling my build as listed.  hey  John!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »

cvobiker,

Thanks, I am sure you posted the #'s correctly. I found incorrect info on a data sheet stating that this fan was 24v which unfortunately added a bit of confusion to the ongoing drama. On another sheet it was posted correctly as 12v but 2 different sets of parameters for the same part #.  :nixweiss:

As far as the Big Sky, it sounds like Milan upgraded the fans to perform better than previous models. I would like to hear from someone who has it installed with the latest higher RPM fans how it performs. Strictly by the numbers, the claimed amount of air movement should make a difference - now we need to hear from someone that has it to verify.

Either way, I pretty much decided to go with the one from Enigma Concepts. It has the all chrome / billet look I wanted and the parade fan hidden behind the horn makes it a nice low profile package. From what I have read so far it performs very well and the company is great to work with. I had a nice long chat with one of the designers yesterday and he answered all my questions and then some. As soon as they have the bracket done for my bike I will placing my order.

Thanks,

MikeV

Mike,,

There are people here saying they work. I'd like to hear more from them in regards to their success ;D.. I tested these fans and even attempted to log some temp data reflecting before and after effects of what the oil temp gauge was telling me.. I simply used a white board marker (blue) and marked the spot on the gauge face at its hottest spot while going through down town Napa on a 95 degree day.. Stopped and had lunch, glass of wine and on return trip back, an hour latter and the fans on, when i started the engine, the oil temp gauge was dead on the same spot.... and i noted this same situation on several other rides. I challenge any of you saying they are working for you to to the same thing.. If you're honest with yourself,, you will see the same results.. and thats no bull... These fans do not work.. plain and simple.. take my word or go spend your spend your money, it's a free society. But just be honest about it.  :2vrolijk_21:

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »

I have a better idea...why doesnt he put a screaming eagle logo on it and charge another two hundred dollars, like the rest of harley's junk, and i am sure you will like it better. nothing better than a yuppie with a check book ( i guess thats as honest i can be). Personally there is only one thing better than taking benjamins from crotch rockets riders that think their bike is fast and that is yuppies with their screaming eagles that think their cvo's are fast.....we have had many a good laugh over it while we sipped our glass of beer and smoked a doobie. .................Used a marker ....lol give me a break.......buy a honda goldwing its more your style. Than you can sit around and sip your wine and bitch about people that actually try to better themselves with a contribution.
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »

Well well this thread has become interesting....

For me, I like to ride to work but the 45 mile trip brings me through a 15 mile traffic choke point typical of NYC. The bike runs hot in traffic and starts acting up if don't keep moving. Sure I can split lanes but not always given the narrow road and heavy commercial traffic.

So I am left needing a way to cool the scoot down or loose out on an extra 90 miles a day of road time. I'm halfway through my TTS VTune runs (interrupted by winter and snow) but I am hoping once they are done it will keep the bike running cooler. If not a good oil cooler is in my future cause I get pretty punchy crammed in on the commuter trains for 90 minutes twice a day...

That being said there's nothing wrong with making smart choices when that checkbook has to come out. This way you don't burn your hard earned benjamins buying the same thing two or three times cause you didn't do your homework. Heck, forget the marker, I'd use a IR temperature probe or FLIR imager if I had one handy to make sure I got it right.

MikeV
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:23:56 PM by MikeV »
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

In my case I have noted different scenerios on oil temps with just the HD unit and I ran just the bottom unit for a short time but when I added the top fan it made a noticeable difference. I agree there is nothing that will totally cure heat issues completely but any help is welcome and the CAOCS  unit does work and so I will keep it in place until something better comes along.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

Rooster,

Do you think the top unit alone would make a difference?  That would make a nice mini parade fan if sold separately.

MikeV

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »

I honestly don't know. I didn't try it that way only the other. I think they compliment each other working together.

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

actually there is a solution that does  cool the oil.  i had them before on another bike It was a 116 jims stroker at 11.1 compression  never had a problem cooling the oil. ,  Its the dual jag oil coolers from bob woods,  750.00  and you have to remove hard lowers but they do work as they are out in the air flow,  but are kinda ugly , But function over looks.  they do cool oil down to 195 t0 200 degrees with no effort,  hmmm   may be put  two    big . sky fans on  each of  these for in town,  But ive been thinking its cheaper to buy two  10 row coolers from jag,  Also the jagg rep stated their oil filter adapter out flow harleys adapter and that makes a difference  in cooling .  Their adapter is kinda pricey though .  On the new build i have shown  i just sarted using redline 20-60  so we'll see what difference  that adds
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:28:30 PM by timtoolman »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

actually there is a solution that does  cool the oil.  i had them before on another bike It was a 116 jims stroker at 11.1 compression  never had a problem cooling the oil. ,  Its the dual jag oil coolers from bob woods,  750.00  and you have to remove hard lowers but they do work as they are out in the air flow,  but are kinda ugly , But function over looks.  they do cool oil down to 195 t0 200 degrees with no effort,  hmmm   may be put  two    big . sky fans on  each of  these for in town,  But ive been thinking its cheaper to buy two  10 row coolers from jag,  Also the jagg rep stated their oil filter adapter out flow harleys adapter and that makes a difference  in cooling .  Their adapter is kinda pricey though .  On the new build i have shown  i just sarted using redline 20-60  so we'll see what difference  that adds
I have used the Jag adapter on a previous bike and had to readjust it a couple of times as it wanted to twist with the filter other than that worked good.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

I have used the Jag adapter on a previous bike and had to readjust it a couple of times as it wanted to twist with the filter other than that worked good.

Jagg sells a small locking adapter to eliminate that problem.  For some (stupid) reason they don't include it with the oil filter adapter though.  They make you discover there's a problem (as they did) then buy the extra small part to fix it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.