Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: consignment fee  (Read 8598 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
consignment fee
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »

Happy Holidays, I am still on the fence about selling my 09 SEUC. It looks like new and runs great. I has a Fulsac Stage one set up. Here is my question. My dealer will take it on consignment for 10% of whatever it sells for plus $400.00 for salesman. Also they want $142.00 for a full safety inspection before they will take it to sell. My wife and I are both on the fence about parting with it, but those 4K mile vacations are getting to be a little too much for her. They said I should ask $29,900.00 for it. What do you think about the consignment fee? Thanks in advance CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: consignment fee
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »

JMO but that is way to much to pay. I would think $1500 would be a more fair price.
Bill

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

I've sold 3 bikes the consignment route and paid 10% of selling price and never paid any other fees, just the 10%. Usually i set my selling price 5-10% above what i wanted to help cover the fee. I also had these bikes sold within 10 day's of going on the market and i attribute this to fact that dealers are good at what they do (most anyway) and they can do financing on the spot.. i dont have any problems doing the consignment route but i wouldn't pay those extra fees

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »

Set your reserve (minimum you'll take) for the bike at a price that will include all those fees or the minimum amount that will include what you think is fair or what you want to pay. That way you get what you want (for the bike), they get there fees, and hopefully the buyer gets a price they are happy/willing to pay.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

That seems high to me also. Are there any other dealers close to you to see if they may have a lower price/different policy? Sold the wife's Honda Shadow a few years ago on consignment at the local Honda Shop, after trying for months to sell for a real low price with no luck. I think people were scared there was something wrong with it. I had known the owner of the Honda shop most of my life and we also went to high school together. I took it down there he looked it over, we discussed what he thought it was worth and what he could sell it for. I told him a price I wanted out of it, which was almost two times what I paid for it. He put the price higher. Two days later he told me to come get my money he had already sold it. He made money, I made money, someone got a great little Red Honda. The Harley consignment terms sounds great for them but NOT for you. Good luck!         
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »

Thanks for the input. If I sold it for say 28,500.00 they would be making about $2850.00 plus the $142.00 safety inspection(mandatory) and the $400.00 to the salesman. I bought it there and paid $1500.00 over MSRP in the first place so I was hoping to pay just a flat fee close to what you said. I just went out and sat on it and I am still on the fence about even selling it. I have it in Cycle Trader and Craig's list and have had only two calls. Probably just the wrong time of the year. Although the dealership near me is  selling a lot of new ones.  When ever I see a Screamin' Eagle Ultra in there used it is usually gone within two weeks. I don't mind paying a commission, but at their price it is the same if I sold it myself for $25,000.00 I need to think about it some more I guess. Thanks for the support. CAHDBIKER

JMO but that is way to much to pay. I would think $1500 would be a more fair price.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »

The salesman works for them not for you.  His fees should come out of their end.  They're double dipping.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »

I agree with Twolane, the extra spiff for the salesman is double dipping.  The dealers I'm familiar with that do consignment charge a flat 10% fee with no other BS.  They will not only make an easy 10% with no investment on their part, but they will also be likely to get a commission on financing and perhaps an ESP.  This place sounds a little greedier than most.

How much would this place or another Harley shop give you to just buy the bike outright?  With the 10% plus $400 plus $140 deal, you might be able to come close to the same net just selling it to a dealer. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »

Jerry, good question on just selling the bike to the dealer. Next time I am in I will ask them. I think the $400.00 plus the $142.00 safety check fee is total B.S. also. CAHDBIKER

I agree with Twolane, the extra spiff for the salesman is double dipping.  The dealers I'm familiar with that do consignment charge a flat 10% fee with no other BS.  They will not only make an easy 10% with no investment on their part, but they will also be likely to get a commission on financing and perhaps an ESP.  This place sounds a little greedier than most.

How much would this place or another Harley shop give you to just buy the bike outright?  With the 10% plus $400 plus $140 deal, you might be able to come close to the same net just selling it to a dealer. 

Jerry

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »

Why not just list it on HD Trader, I listed mine there and sold it in hours for the full asking price, guy came a week later and picked it up. Money was in the bank 4 days before he picked up bike

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

I've done consignments with a couple dealers and they both demanded an inspection to make sure there were no problems with the bike.  The fee was 10% of sales price with a maximum charge of $1,500.  This was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't know if the same deal still goes or would go for CVOs.  The bikes I had sold in the $16k to $19k range.

I'll say this for them - they sold one of the bikes in a couple weeks for more than I'd been asking for two years with no takers.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

I've never done a consignmetn sale but the 10% seems fair, the other fees seem to be BS. I would do the 10% commission on the deal just so I don't have to run the adds and deal with looky-loos and other assorted tire kickers.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »

This consignment seems about right. Several years ago i looked at selling a bike on consignment and a local H-D dealer wanted close to $100 for a thorough inspection since their reputation was on line and they wanted 10% for their fee.
Considering the aggravation of trying to sell a bike on my own with drunk/crazy phone calls at all hours, fake checks or Identity theft and other issues. I would let the dealership have 10% to avoid problems.
The dealership also has on site financing which may help it sell quicker and the walk in traffic increases exposure too.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

BTW most dealers will be happy to finance the bike for a purchaser even if you sell it privately. $$$ in their pocket for financing.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:13:34 AM »

If the dealer finances, it legally has to run thru the dealership which in certain states mean that the dealer must "safety" the bike before selling and will be responsible for any "issues" that may come up.
Alan

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »

My dealer has talked before about a "dealer assist" program for financing if buying or selling a bike privately. Not sure what all that entails but someone else mentioned it.

Also, when I bought my EGU from a private seller a few years back, my CU wanted an inspection  done and it cost the seller $50 from a local shop. Might be a piece of mind thing for a lending institution.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »

I sold many bikes on consignment the dealer asked how much I need to get out of the bike and then they price it from there with no up charges at all, if they need some room in the pricing they will call and ask if you can move on what you need to get of of the bike. Remember the dealer has financing and warranty to offer so they make money on that also.
DND
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.