Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Newbie Rider Fails Motorcycle Class Riding Test  (Read 8960 times)

blondeharleygrrl

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Newbie Rider Fails Motorcycle Class Riding Test
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:09:29 AM »

Friday's class went well.  We had introductions, watched educational videos, and were divided into working groups to answer workbook questions.  Saturday we were on the Nighthawk 250s most of the day.  Then an hour or so of study and videos.  Sunday we were on the bikes all day except for about an hour of calssroom which included the written test.

I did really well riding both days until the test.  I had stage fright testing infront of 11 classmates and spectators.  I failed my riding test.  I failed the "S" curve that we had to make inside a box.  I went outside of the box.  (I thought thinking or being outside the box was a good thing, lol).  On another curve test I went too wide.  

The test consisted of four maneuvers.  I failed two.  I failed to do the "S" (almost figure 8) turns inside a box.  I failed the emergency stop because my timing was off.  I shifted to 2nd gear, got up to the correct speed, but anticipated the cones where my front tire had to be inside (so they said - disagree.  Second try all my classmates clapped and I thought I had succeeded, too), and my timing to complete the stop was off.

My one instructor (there were two) said he was surprised....I did so well during the practice.  I don't recall the points I lost, but I believe we were allowed up to 25 and I had  33.

Swerving, cones, riding over obstacles, lane changes - everything else I'm great at.  D*mn curves.   >:(

I passed the written test.  That doesn't help me.  I don't get my motorcycle license at the end of the class.  I'll have to practice everything on the V-Rod and go to the DMV for both the riding and written test.  

I am disappointed.  Two of my classmates also failed the riding test.    

I spoke with a couple of HOG chapter members today.  One man in his fifties said that he had been riding Harleys for years without a license.  He is self taught.  He decided one day to get his license.  He failed the driving/riding test 3 times even though he'd been riding for years.  He said I should not feel bad.  Just practice, practice, practice.  He said I should get my learner's permit and ride.  The more street experience you have, the better you'll be.  Go to a school parking lot and simulate/practice the DMV tests.

I was disappointed, but feel assured that many people struggle with the riding test.  I'm ready to practice.  I'll be out on the V-Rod today.  I'm getting my learner's permit.  Friends say not to be in a rush to test again either.....get the permit, practice and enjoy riding.

I'd appreciate any advice!  Have a great week!  Julia

I love to ride the rod!  V-Rod that is!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Newbie Rider Fails Motorcycle Class Riding Tes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »

Sorry to hear about the test Julia.  Your friends are right though.  Go to a parking lot and practice.  I don't know if it's available to you, but you could practice where you did your class since the lines are already on the ground.  Some people just get nervous when taking tests, so practice till you're comfortable before going for your road test.  One more thing, just keep looking at where you want to be when turning, don't look down...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »

You will be fine.  Just keep practicing like Ernie and your friends said.  You will learn something different each time you ride.  The more you are able to ride/practice, the better you will be.  Keep us updated on your progress.  Good luck!  (My wife failed the Rider's Edge course the 1st time, got her a 250 Suzuki to practice on,  passed the 2nd time, and now rides a Fatboy).

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »

When I took the MSF course, my class did OK at the "S" box after doing it a few times in practice.  Then on Sunday afternoon (it was summer, hot as He!! and we were all really tired) we couldn't seem to stay in the box no matter what.  The more we tried, the worse we got.  My instructor told us something to the effect that we were going to ride the course for real in about an hour and we had to pass the riding test to pass the course.  We stopped practicing, got off the bikes and sat in the shade for rest.  When we took the range for the final test, most of us did just fine.

I told the instructor that, to me, that experience was valuable as part of the class itself.  That we learned that our skills and concentration went down as we got tired.

Don't know if any of this applies to your experience, but as other have said, don't give up or get disappointed.  Undoubtedly you have learned much in the course, regardless (I'm a big believer in the MSF) so practice on your own.  If possible, find out exactly what your local DMV will have you do--many of them don't mirror the MSF range maneuvers, and practice those specific skills.  Or, maybe you could re-take the MSF course.  Maybe they'll let you enroll at the next earliest oportunity since you are a repeat student.  And ernie is right on about looking where you want to go--don't stare at the boundary lines of the box--that trick works like magic.

The emergency stop thing also reminds me of my course experience.  The instructor made me do that twice, saying I went in too slow at first.  So the second time I hit second gear and kept accelerating--I went into the stop zone really hot and successfully hauled the bike down to a stop.  The instructor told me later that he was about to jump out of the way because he had never had a student go that fast on that drill.  I told him I wasn't about to fail the class for going too slow. ;D  

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:59:14 AM »

Back in '99 I had a similar experience.  Took the class did very well and failed the test.  I almost decided to quit, but my buddie drove me to the local dealer where my first HD was sitting the showroom.  I bought the bike and rescheduled the MSF test.  They let you retest once.  I passed it no problem and have bought three more HDs: Deuce, FLHRCI, and the 2007 Blue SERK.  Those courses are grueling.  As another posted, it is important to realize that at the end of a long riding day, your skills diminish.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

twincam

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »

Julia, It is ok to fail a test, sometimes you get nervous, just keep your head up!! practice, and keep on trying untill you get it right!!! the next time you will know what to expect!!! good luck !!!! twincam ;) 8-)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »

I have faith in you blondeharleygrrl. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

With your drive and spirt I know you will do well with pratice. Hang in there! 8-)

blondeharleygrrl

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re-Test
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »

Hi everyone,

The Honda MSF instructor told me that they don't allow a free re-test.  I'd have to pay the $250.00, complete the course again, and then test at the end.  He said I did so well during the practice that he was surprised at my failure.  My timing was off.  I definitely have turning/curving issues.  

The course was well worth the $250.00.  I'm very happy that I took it.  I have the confidence to ride now.

I'm not hot about paying the $250.00 again to take the course over in order to re-test with MSF.   I will find out what the DMV requires and practice on the V-Rod, then take the test in the spring with a crotchrocket.

I'm told the DMV test is much different than the MSF test.  The MSF test did not have cones to swerve, which DMV test does.  (And of course, I'm great at that, lol).  

I'm not the most patient person, lol.  I can't put the V-Rod away until passing this test.  I'm confident that I won't drop it so long as I'm careful, practice, and have HOG chapter friends coach me.

You all have been so helpful.  Thanks for the advice.  It helps to hear experiences that others have had testing.  Makes me feel like less of a failure! :-/

Julia

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »

Here's some advice,

Quit typing about failure and go practice.
Find (rent) borrow a small bike to do the test.
Don't waste a lot of time waiting, just go do it.
I can tell you didn't just fall off the riding turnip truck so PRACTICE and go take the test.
If you don't pass the first time there then get pissed and get determined to pass.
You don't sound like a girl that takes no very well.
Show them!

I want to hear about you passing the test, the rest is just whining!
And you don't strike me as a whiner either.
You can do it!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:30:23 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 11:28:29 AM »

FWIW, I have two guys among the riding acquaintances who don't have a license (and haven't had for years and years) specifically because they don't want to take the DMV riding test on their big bikes and won't ride a little bike.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 11:41:57 AM »

From my experiences, the DMV test is easier than the MSF test.  Most of the time, if you can drive throught the city to get to the DMV, you passed the test.  My friend had a test scheduled in the pouring rain and was the only one that showed up.  They handed him his license.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

blondeharleygrrl

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Silver-Black, oh no you did NOT......
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »

just tell me to quit whining. [smiley=furious3.gif]  

I am NOT whining.    

You're right, I don't like being told no.  I am driven.  I am a perfectionist.  I don't like to fail, and yes, I am pi**ed off now and agree it's time to stop talking about failure.

I can ride my V-Rod, and to me that's the most important accomplishment.  I'll practice, be coached by HOG chapter friends, and take the test again when I'm ready.

I had a difficult time grasping outside-inside-outside when taking on a curve.  The ending "outside" I took the curve too wide.  My braking into the curve and rolling out of the curve was fine, although the instructor said I could "roll out" a little faster.  This error will take some time to fix because I'm not sure where or how I can practice it.  I'll see if I can practice at the Honda facility when classes aren't in session, or maybe I can draw a chalk outline in a parking lot somewhere.

I'm good at keeping my head and eyes up - searching head.  I understand looking where I want to go.  

I'll keep you posted.  Julia

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 12:02:19 PM »

One other thought to consider Julia.  It sounds as if you will be practicing for the exam rather than for any general riding experience (and that's ok to get the license behind you).  But it might be worth a trip to visit the DMV site to make sure they give the same exam.  

I know that around here one of the MSF sites have a test that is entirely different than what the DMV does.  If, right now, you are practicing for the exam might be worthwhile to make sure you are practicing the exam you'll actually be taking.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »

Having taken both the MSF course at the same facility as BHG, and the Georgia DMV test, they are very different, and they don't let you on the course for practice, at least not in Cobb county.

But then again, the MSF courses hve been revamped. We did not ride "in the box" for our test.  We did that for the Experienced Riders Course, just not the RSS course.

Cheers!

cigarmike

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

FWIW, I have two guys among the riding acquaintances who don't have a license (and haven't had for years and years) specifically because they don't want to take the DMV riding test on their big bikes and won't ride a little bike.

I too never had a Motorcycle class license, I only got one within this last year when our Governator Arnold wrecked his bike and they made a big deal out of it, saying anyone without the proper license will have their bikes towed.....couldnt imagine my CVO on a hook for some reason. I took the course, thinking, it would help me pass the written test easier, and I was told, I wouldn't have to take the riding test at DMV on my hog if I did, sounded logical enough to me. So I would ride up in my CVO, get off, and jump on those little midget racers, 175's at this school. lol, Im just a litle big for these puppys, Most of these bikes were beat up with broken signal lites, dented tanks etc. It was a full class, so the instructor felt since I was the most experienced rider, that I should take the bike with the wobbily front wheel, and bent handle bars. , lol, someone had smashed this one up good into a wall he said, and pointed out the marks to the class, one girl quit right then. So I got up-graded to the bike with only bent handle bars and no wobbily front wheel. I didnt fit too well, on this thing, my knees hit the handle bars, and was like riding a mini bike for me.

The first day, they did the walking drills etc. I got muscle cramps in my legs , lol, what a joke Im thinking, then the slow speed drills, my bent handle bars made it almost impossible to make a right turn in the s curve and figure 8,... but I did it. I barely passed the test. talk about losing confidense, (Of course, I did get deductions for trying to pull the front wheel off the ground and speeding which didnt help). Im not going to lie, the turning inside a box was hard on this pocket rocket, 1/3 of the this class failed. but I was in a class that had some no experienced riders in it. Long story short, I learned a few tips that help me riding, but after the test was done, and we all got our results, I jumped on my CVO, and did the test course at neck break speed, and aced it including the figure 8 etc. The instructor got pissed at me, yelling that the insurance wouldnt cover me blah blah blah, lol, he rides a honda, so I gave him a break.

Problem with a permit, you cant ride at night Julia, and you cant have a passenger, at least in cali its that way, so ernie zap cant ride with you :(
Id look on craigs list or ebay, buy a cheap 175, or 250 if I were you, practice, take the test at DMV, (unless you feel the school would help you again?), and after passing the test, sell the little bike. No matter what, in the test, focus on keeping your head up and looking where you want to go!!! Good Luck !!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.