Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.  (Read 23123 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »

XXXX.XX different ways to do it, most work great. Have used the way Chip does for years with 100% success, 0 front compression. In the event of a total disaster(trailer roll over) don't make a chit how you got it strapped, gonna be a mess.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »

Do what works for you, but....

I would never secure a bike by strapping to the fork legs.  The forks are held in place by the fender and the pinch bolt on the axle.  Tightening straps that would separate the fork lowers seems like an incredibly bad idea.

I would never secure a bike by strapping to the engine guard.  That guard flexes way too much, and is only secured at the top by a single bolt.

I use a Rampage lift.  The Ultra got strapped to the Rampage's sled via two straps to the Harley fork-mounted tie-down points.  I ran soft ties over the lower tree, then down to the front tie-down points in the truck.  Two more straps with soft ties went on the downtubes to the rear tie-down points on the truck.  Two more straps went from the rear passenger board mounts to the rear tie-down points.  Suspension gets compressed no more than 1-1/2".  The bike won't budge if it's strapped like this.

Again, not saying that the pictured way won't work, just that I wouldn't do it that way.

Cool, I guess my method of tying down a bike doesn't meet your approval.
Guess what? I don't care what you think. I have read enough of your post to know NO ONE knows as much about ANYTHING as you.
May have been all that pooping while you were on the I-Pad. Don't know, don't care, but for the record, your opinion on anything carries no credibility for me.

I would never secure a bike by strapping to the fork legs.  The forks are held in place by the fender and the pinch bolt on the axle.  Tightening straps that would separate the fork lowers seems like an incredibly bad idea.
I would never secure a bike by strapping to the engine guard.  That guard flexes way too much, and is only secured at the top by a single bolt.

Thousands of bikes have been delivered to Harley Davidson dealers strapped to a pallet from the fork leg. The same applies to the engine guard. Clearly you know more about strapping a bike than Harley Davidson. Well at least in your world you do. Thankfully most of us don't live in your world.

Tightening straps that would separate the fork lowers seems like an incredibly bad idea.

Speaking of opinions about "incredibly bad ideas" I think trading "an orange & black 'CUSE7 with a really nice motor" for a BMW is a better example of an incredibly bad idea. We know those SEUC's are not perfect but it appears those BMW's have faults also.

The stock GTL seat sucks.  The stock speakers suck. 

Wait, what do we believe? Above you list things that suck on the BMW, below you tell us a different story. Besides being a motorcycle expert I'm thinking you may also be a politician.

There's just nothing bad about this bike. 

I have seen many Harley's straight from the factory tied down like mine so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
I trailered a Beemer home once. I threw a blanket down to protect the trailer, laid the bike on it's side and tied it down with a truck strap from Harbor Freight. All while pooping from my I-phone. (but no video's)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

GC it is a K&L chock. K&L makes quality heavy duty equipment. I have two I use on the Aluma. (use 1 when towing the Harley and 2 when towing the scooters.
See link below,
http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUIPMENT/KLMC10RUNIVERSALWHEELCLAMP.aspx

SBB

Thanks for the link Chip. Looks like I have three or four options for one that can mount almost flush to the wall.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

Thanks for the link Chip. Looks like I have three or four options for one that can mount almost flush to the wall.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.
Putting a nice bike in a cheap chock can lead to trouble.
Let us know what you decide!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »

I use the frame. I loop duplicate soft ties around the frame under the tank (two per side), I crank it down but make sure not to over-compress the fork. I do the same thing on the back usually finding a spot around the passenger peg supports, again doubled up. If I have to remove the bags to accomplish this, I do. I'm not an expert, just cautious, haven't dropped one yet.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »

I use the frame. I loop duplicate soft ties around the frame under the tank (two per side), I crank it down but make sure not to over-compress the fork. I do the same thing on the back usually finding a spot around the passenger peg supports, again doubled up. If I have to remove the bags to accomplish this, I do. I'm not an expert, just cautious, haven't dropped one yet.

OWL

I think the frame is a great place. If I was shipping the bike I would have three sets with the third tied to the frame.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »

Saw some 2014's come into the dealer a couple of months back and they were tied down to a bracket attached to the downtubes just above oil filter.  What does HD use to attach to the frame?  Never trailered my Limited but do have a 5x10 dovetail trailer with attached ramp so interested in the info.  SBB info is how the service manager at my local dealer suggested except he did not use the front strap to the chock and engine guard straps.  Both good suggestions for a $40k bike.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:40:54 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »

Don't know, don't care, but for the record, your opinion on anything carries no credibility for me.
But boy you sure spent a lot of effort responding to me.....Took the time to hunt down other posts and everything.

:pepper: :pineapple: :pepper: :pineapple: :pepper: :pineapple: :pepper: :pineapple:

I'm truly touched that I'm so important to you.  PM me your address and I'll get you a personalized 8x10 glossy of me.
The best you've had is the best you know.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »

8X10 Glossy's of Dikheads are easy to find on the net. Thay all look the same.  :nixweiss:  :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »

GC it is a K&L chock. K&L makes quality heavy duty equipment. I have two I use on the Aluma. (use 1 when towing the Harley and 2 when towing the scooters.
See link below,
http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUIPMENT/KLMC10RUNIVERSALWHEELCLAMP.aspx

SBB

I've got a couple K&L chocks mounted in my enclosed trailer.  I mounted them in a way that allows quick removal for the times that require I use my trailer for something other than hauling bikes (which is often)...  K&L makes a quality wheel chock...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »

But boy you sure spent a lot of effort responding to me.....Took the time to hunt down other posts and everything.

Your right, I did spend a little time quoting some of your post.
It wasn't intended to offend you, heck I could have mentioned installing the tensioner backwards, but didn't.
The purpose of all the followup was to let others that may be clouded by your supreme knowledge to take it with a grain of salt, after all it is the internet.

And Jimmy, your right!
See you and that beautiful bike in the Valley!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:01 AM »

Your right, I did spend a little time quoting some of your post.
It wasn't intended to offend you, heck I could have mentioned installing the tensioner backwards, but didn't.
The purpose of all the followup was to let others that may be clouded by your supreme knowledge to take it with a grain of salt, after all it is the internet.
Never said anyone was wrong, never said anyone was screwing up.  All I said what was I do and why I do it that way.

If people can't handle different opinions they might want to keep theirs to themselves.

BTW, you might also want to include buying a CVO in your list of mistakes I've made.  Could have saved myself a pile of money getting the Beemer a year ago.
The best you've had is the best you know.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »

WOW!

BigLew

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »

I have had members ask a couple questions about the tie down point on the forks.
There was concern the strap would rub on the paint.
The key is to keep the strap flush up against the back side of the forkleg.
No twisted straps or lapped over straps just a flush against the forkleg works every time.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »

Thanks for the post, I an going to modify my tie downs after seeing your post.  I have always did the one thru the fron wheel and the 2 off the fender, but did not add the 2nd points off the guard or frame.   The tie down I use on the back is to pull the back tire straight back, I have found that when I angle my rear straps, the bike has moved left to right.   There we 2 times this happend to me, 1 in atlanta not sure what happened to the road there and somewhere on my trip to Montanna.  I was glad I only had 1 bike in the trailer.

2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 21 queries.