Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?  (Read 104215 times)

REGGAB

Re: Glare Polish - Snake Oil?
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »

Well, I'm a believer in how well it holds up.....just finished over a couple of thousand miles ride and the bugs just wipe right off the fairing.  That's worth the effort/expense to me.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Yessir, Spyd.  The stuff is good!  Real Good........but it's like crack!  I keep wanting mine to shine more.  Then I go without seeing it for awhile, and when I finally do see it.......WOW!  The rush comes back!  Even after 8 months since the last application. 

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUI W/ SE103 & SE 6 SPEED
    • CVO2: 2003 FLSCTI
The Best Polish?
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »

I have used the Mequiars, Mothers, Liquid Glass and several others and depending on the severity of the paint problem most work real well. My question is who has time to wax their bike every time after they ride or even once a month. I found a product called Bullet Polish. It comes as a concentrate that you mix with a gallon of distilled water. Every time my wife and I come home from a ride we go over them with Bullet. It's great on paint, windshields and chrome. The best part is it also cleans my LCD TV screen,computer monitor and sunglasses. I have use Bullet for over 4 years and I find I only have to wax my Ultra about once every 6 months. My wifes Heritage is an '03 with 61K miles on it and the factory black looks great.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »

Polish is not the same as WAX!! Polish it once and leave it. If you put another coat on it you will remove the first. Wax is the only thing that you can put several coats on and build up a deeper shine with. Polish does just what it says but it will not add any depth to the paint.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »

Polish is not the same as WAX!! Polish it once and leave it. If you put another coat on it you will remove the first. Wax is the only thing that you can put several coats on and build up a deeper shine with. Polish does just what it says but it will not add any depth to the paint.

I wonder with a base coat of Glare, is there any advantage to adding an insurance coat of actual wax on top? Would this be a good or bad thing?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »

Sealer, polish, wax can only protect what the painter did. If you've got a fantastic paint job then a coat of Turtle wax will look as good as anything out there. If you've got a chitty paint job then nothing is going to make it look like anything more than a shiny chitty paint job. When I read threads like this, it occurs to me that if I took a so so paint job, went at it with a commercial grade rubbing compound (buff buff buff), followed by sealer (buffed) followed by polish (buffed), followed by wax (buffed) I would have buffed the damn thing so much that my elbow grease is what made the damn paint look good. You guys can chit on me all you want but I say a top notch paint job (that means when it was delivered to you it had been buffed sealed, polished and waxed) should only require a coat of Turtle wax every six months 

YES, this chit is snake oil in my opinion

B B 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »

Bla Bla Bla about perfect paint jobs.

This is a CVO site with a thread about what else?  :o  The Harley Davidson paint jobs on our bikes and the wax we use to make them shine.

Do our Harley's have perfect paint?

Ok, we know that answer. So if someone has perfect paint and has paid the price to get it, use the cheap chit if you like.
(to me that's like wearing a $5 helmet cause you have a $5 head)

On my Harley Davidson's, Ford Motor Company, Haulmark and John Deere equipment I use Glare.

I like the results and I like how the Glare makes these toys easy to clean.

And until something better comes along and 103T uses it on his toy's, I'm not changing.
 ;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »

I don't know squat about polishes and waxes, but I know shine when I see it and Q's 02 Purple SERK shines like 10,000 diamonds. I asked him what he used and he said he had gone the whole A-Z route with the Glare products.

And that's my $0.02 on the subject

B  B

^^^^  :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :beerchug:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »

You guys can chit on me all you want

B B 

103, I changed my mind on this subject after I found out all the steps involved.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »

I can't help you if you want to take the easy way out.  Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved.  But, really, it's not that tough.  And once you've tried the best, you'll throw out the rest. ;)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved. 

Some evenings I go out to the garage and decide, tonight's going to be a tour pak night.
Then there's fairing and lower nights.
Over a course of time everything gets done, sometimes over and over.
And that's a good night!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »

I love drinking the snake-oil.  It's theraputic for me also, especially on the Black paint.  I've had good luck with the paint on my Harleys....the white & silver FLSTN has origonal paint that looks great after all these years & miles.  I think the paint on the CVO's has always been one of their stronger points.  jmho.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »

I can't help you if you want to take the easy way out.  Detailing my bikes and making them look their absolute best is therapeutic for me, so I don't really GAS how long it takes or how many steps are involved.  But, really, it's not that tough.  And once you've tried the best, you'll throw out the rest. ;)

Actually, I think it boils down to what you think looks good.  If you want to spend the time and excessive money that Glare costs, and you think it makes your bike look great, then that's the best for you.  Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.  I wax my bikes with Eagle One twice a year and detail spray them after every ride, and I've always been complimented on how nice my bikes look.  Each to his own I always say.  :)

:devil:  

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »

Actually, I think it boils down to what you think looks good.  If you want to spend the time and excessive money that Glare costs, and you think it makes your bike look great, then that's the best for you.  Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.  I wax my bikes with Eagle One twice a year and detail spray them after every ride, and I've always been complimented on how nice my bikes look.  Each to his own I always say.  :)

If you want to spend the time
You'd rather be riding? Well hello, so would all of us.
But late at night, when it's raining or snowing or freezing outside are perfect times to clean and wax a bike.

excessive money that Glare costs,
Amazing, owning 60 to 70K dollars or more in bikes and people use the inexpensive stuff.
Just like I said earlier,
(to me that's like wearing a $5 helmet cause you have a $5 head)

you think it makes your bike look great,
No thinking there, it's a fact. All the bikes look great. Nancy's bike was voted best of show so others must feel the same.

Personally, I find riding my bike more therapeutic than sitting in the garage polishing it.
That's a no brainer. My 09 SEUC has 48K miles on it, and it's always cleaned and polished.

So I guess as always it's "different strokes for different folks"

excessive money that Glare costs
With the value of the bikes you have and you complain about the excessive cost of glare, I have had my Monday morning laugh.
Thanks, I needed that!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »

I knew somone would twist my comment and turn it into me saying that I liked polishing more than riding.  Thanks for not disappointing me! ::)

You might actually spend more time waxing than I do!  Once a year with Glare and I'm good to go! :huepfenlol2:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »

You'd rather be riding? Well hello, so would all of us.
But late at night, when it's raining or snowing or freezing outside are perfect times to clean and wax a bike.
Amazing, owning 60 to 70K dollars or more in bikes and people use the inexpensive stuff.
Just like I said earlier, No thinking there, it's a fact. All the bikes look great. Nancy's bike was voted best of show so others must feel the same.

That's a no brainer. My 09 SEUC has 48K miles on it, and it's always cleaned and polished.

So I guess as always it's "different strokes for different folks"

With the value of the bikes you have and you complain about the excessive cost of glare, I have had my Monday morning laugh.
Thanks, I needed that!

SBB

Like I said Chip, whatever floats your boat, trips your trigger, or spins your prop.  It's all subjective.  I've know many a people win best in show for their bikes and never used a drop of Glare, so that assumption is not necessarily true.  I've used Glare before and found that Eagle One will give me the same shine and appearance. I found out that I don't need to spend the money that Glare costs to have a great looking bike.   Not saying Glare isn't good, but it's, IMO, hyped up, and is really no better than most quality waxes/polishes on the market today.  Like I said before, whatever you decide to use is going to be fine with you.  :)

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.