Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: excessive heat from head pipes  (Read 2108 times)

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

• CVO1: 14 CVO Road King
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Street Glide
excessive heat from head pipes
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »

cvo street glide, head pipe is burning my leg and summer hasn't even hit yet. I put a FM ceramic coated 2/1/2 head pipe on it and it got worse. I am having a S.E cam installed now(didn't want to void warranty based on all the posts here) with a dyno tune which I hope will help. any other suggestions?? The dealer said they had 1 guy complain and they heat wrapped his head pipe and they haven't heard from him- so it must of worked??!!??

Cam is done and heat at head pipe is much better- new problem - dealer said they couldn't dyno it because the SE mufflers where to restricting, said if I changed the mufflers they would do the dyno then - they said it tuned good though. seemed ok performance wise on the way home but it had just rained. Tired of throwing money at it - but am thinking of the Krome Werks 4.5 inch mufflers. Any thoughts - opinions?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:25:46 PM by bdv77 »

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
Re: excessive heat from head pipes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »

Based on my understanding, by installing the FM pipe (deleting the cats) you've already technically voided your powertrain warranty.

I have a 19 CVO SG, too, and figured the cats were the heat culprit....

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »

Something else is going on. I put the fm 212 pipe on my m8 amd it got considerably cooler. You may be running too lean, check the tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »

cvo street glide, head pipe is burning my leg and summer hasn't even hit yet. I put a FM ceramic coated 2/1/2 head pipe on it and it got worse. I am having a S.E cam installed now(didn't want to void warranty based on all the posts here) with a dyno tune which I hope will help. any other suggestions?? The dealer said they had 1 guy complain and they heat wrapped his head pipe and they haven't heard from him- so it must of worked??!!??
according to dealer who sold me the bike after market head pipe will not void warranty as long as you buy the HD tuner.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »

according to dealer who sold me the bike after market head pipe will not void warranty as long as you buy the HD tuner.

Your dealership lied to you, just like many dealers have to many others over the years when they wanted to sell someone modifications.  The catalytic converter is required by the US government, and the US government forced H-D to sign an agreement to void the warranty of any 2017 and later bike with illegal modifications.  Changing internal parts like cams, unless they are part of a street legal and EPA approved kit, is also a violation that will result in your powertrain warranty being void.  If you have the bike tuned with anything other than a street legal and approved tune, you guessed it, voided warranty.  You need to research this subject yourself and don't rely on people trying to sell you illegal mods for your information.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »

Your dealership lied to you, just like many dealers have to many others over the years when they wanted to sell someone modifications.  The catalytic converter is required by the US government, and the US government forced H-D to sign an agreement to void the warranty of any 2017 and later bike with illegal modifications.  Changing internal parts like cams, unless they are part of a street legal and EPA approved kit, is also a violation that will result in your powertrain warranty being void.  If you have the bike tuned with anything other than a street legal and approved tune, you guessed it, voided warranty.  You need to research this subject yourself and don't rely on people trying to sell you illegal mods for your information.

Jerry

LOL!!

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »

UPDATE! Fuel Motto said if I heat wrap the head pipe it voids their warranty as the contained heat might cause it to crack. Am not going to heat wrap. Hope a proper tune takes care of the excessive heat.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »

Something else is going on. I put the fm 212 pipe on my m8 amd it got considerably cooler. You may be running too lean, check the tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KRISPY is correct.   The HD tuner is designed to keep the vehicle within EPA requirements.  If you have no Cat in your headpipe then the flow characteristics are different and the bike is running lean.    A good tune with a Non EPA tuner should cool it down but as others have pointed out, in the US, your warranty is voided as part of the EPA settlement.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »

Based on my understanding, by installing the FM pipe (deleting the cats) you've already technically voided your powertrain warranty.

I have a 19 CVO SG, too, and figured the cats were the heat culprit....
Very true, as its not an EPA approved Head Pipe.

That may be true at the dealer you bought the bike.  At a different dealer, if they see the after market head pipe and report it to Harley Davisons then your warranty is voided.

Your issue may be you are running to lean with the fuelmoto head pipe.  The HD tuner probably can not add enough fuel for a headpipe with out a cat.  That is an EPA approved and compliant tuner. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »

Here's what I did to make mine run cooler and not void the warranty:
Add the fan assisted to the oil cooler, I added instruction and pictures for my 18 but others have added comments for the 19's, see link below.
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114956.msg1479493#msg1479493

Added "Mighty Might" Love Jug fans

Run Ethanol Free gas 89 octane, bike runs better on this instead of 93 octane w/Ethanol.
Use the app "Pure Gas" to find filling stations near you with Ethanol free fuel.
For a real kick add 8 Oz (per tank) of Blendzall 485 Gold Label Octane Boost...WOW what a difference.
" Ideal for converting pump gas to racing fuel. Racetrack results and dyno tests verify increased horsepower and lower operating temperatures. Contains 5 oz. of Blendzall #460 Racing Castor."
Approx $40 per gal.

Added a heat shield on the fuel line to help prevent vapor locking when running Ethanol fuels, stop and go traffic in FL is brutal.
https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/page/3/?s=heat+shield

The second mouse gets the cheese.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »

What do the plugs look like?  Any sign of detonation? 

I'd suggest getting the bike tuned, and then if problem exist.  Address it then.  You are running on a starter calibration.  Who really knows where that is at?  Yes, a head pipe should cool it down, but an untuned ignition table will create heat faster than anything else in the exhaust port and the exhaust pipe.  This can cause detonation because of the heat build up and then it can pull more timing and make the problem worse.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »

Jerry
----------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what you find funny about my post, care to enlighten me?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »

What mufflers are you running? If you are running SE muffs with cats then I believe you could still be within Harleys EPA parameters, if not, then no warranty could be void.

Did you get the cam and dyno tune done yet? Let us know the outcome of your heat issue. Like others have said with a good catless headpipe and a quality tune your heat issue should be resolved.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »

What mufflers are you running? If you are running SE muffs with cats then I believe you could still be within Harleys EPA parameters, if not, then no warranty could be void.

Did you get the cam and dyno tune done yet? Let us know the outcome of your heat issue. Like others have said with a good catless headpipe and a quality tune your heat issue should be resolved.

Cam is done and heat at head pipe is much better- new problem - dealer said they couldn't dyno it because the SE mufflers where to restricting, said if I changed the mufflers they would do the dyno then - they said it tuned good though. seemed ok performance wise on the way home but it had just rained. Tired of throwing money at it - but am thinking of the Krome Werks 4.5 inch mufflers. Any thoughts - opinions?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »

Any non HD parts in the powertrain will void the warranty, including pipes.  HD tuner cannot tune correctly for a catless head pipe, it is outside the parameters.  Might as well get it tuned with an aftermarket tuner, that's why it is running too hot.

Fan would be the second option.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bdv77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.