Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Glare Professional Products  (Read 33764 times)

RedFXR2

Re: Glare Professional Products
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2008, 04:30:11 PM »

Okay, since the Glare folks are still here, maybe they will address my completely legitimate questions.  Let's set the stage:

...most importantly the paint is UV protected which other products will not do. This is important because once the UV damages the paint underneath the Clear Coat your paint is gone!
Perry Stevens
Chemical Division
Glare Products

it works, and the fact that it comes with a 5 warranty of protection and shine, ...Glare, it contains NO acrylic ( makes paint crack), polymers or synthetics (plastics), or carnuba ( which actually eats through clearcoat).

So according to Glare folks, Glare eliminates UV damage which destroys the paint under the clear coat, and Glare contains no ingredients that conventional waxes do, that destroy the paint and clear coat.

Now, my personal experience scenario:

Last January I traded in my 1997 Lexus.  11 years of weather, washing, waxing, sun, ice, dew, some salt spray, some road salt, an occasional frisbee bounce, somebody sitting on the fender, leaning against it, all the elements of wear (I have two kids at home if that tells you anything).  I waxed it periodically with Meguiar's but I was far from anal.  When I traded it the paint still looked fantastic, and not one drop of Glare had ever touched it.  Now my question to Glare is this: Why should I spend a lot more money on something that takes a lot longer to apply, when in my experience, NOT using it worked out just fine?   Let's say it does do something that other waxes don't.  How long would I have to keep the car to realize that?

I've already described my experience with Glare in the other thread.  All that work and money and I was left wondering why I bothered?  It wasn't any shinier than conventional waxes and seemed to wash off at the first touch of clean water and a soft sponge.

My bike, on the other hand, is hardly exposed to anything like the elements I described above on my car.  It sits in a garage, under a cover, never sits outside, never ridden in rain, rinsed off if ever a speck of dirt gets on it.  I imagine this is fairly typical of HD owners.  So when would the typical bike owner get the benefit of the supposed increased durability and paint protection?  How long under those ideal conditions would it take for Glare usage to be justified?

Not trying to be a hard case, but I need to see some justification for the expense and effort that applies in the real world.

And then:

I think the whole 5 year warranty is it what truly inspires confidence in a product, that and I don't have to worry about reapplying product every other month to achieve shine.

But I just traded a car that saw no Glare after 11 years and the paint looked great.  IMO, conventional treatment far outlasted your 5 year warranty.  And I didn't apply conventional wax any where near once a month.  More like every nine months to a year.

And I've already pointed out that most bike owners pamper their machines.  These bikes don't see harsh weather or day in and day out outside weather exposure.

So I repeat:  For how long, and how often, according to you, would a person have to use conventional wax to destroy their paint and clear coat?  Using conventional wax products only periodically, How long would it take for UV rays to destroy the paint under the clear coat?  Hint--it must be a lot longer than 11 years in all weather exposure conditions.  A heck of a lot longer for a bike kept garaged, under a cover, and never ridden in much of any weather.

[edit to add]  I would add that I would expect answers to my questions to be specific.  Say, '30 conventional wax jobs over five years and your clear coat is gone'.  Or 'UV will destroy paint uner conventional wax in 3 years'.  Something like that.  I keep hearing about all these lab tests, so certainly you have this information.  Don't just tell me that my 11 year old car would have looked better if I had used Glare. ::)

[second edit]  I just went out to the garage and looked at my bottle of Meguiar's.  It clearly states that it provides protection againist UV rays.  You say:

... and most importantly the paint is UV protected which other products will not do.

So are you saying that Meguiar's is making false claims?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:36:52 PM by RedFXR2 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

Don't just tell me that my 11 year old car would have looked better if I had used Glare. ::)
I'm afraid you just answered your own questions right there Mike.  I'm no Glare expert, but I found it to be very difficult to apply (according to instructions), but the results have been very rewarding... :)...especially on the black paint.  Yowsa!  Deep, deep spectacular shine... :-*...seems to last very well with only light touch ups.  :2vrolijk_21: jmho.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »

I'm afraid you just answered your own questions right there Mike. 

Yeah, but that's a cheap answer, and I want them to know that I know that.

Hey, I know some folks here like the stuff and fine with me.  I just don't get the justification for the hype.

If somebody is going to say that their stuff is better than everyone elses, then they need to say why.  Not just say it's better.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »

Yeah, but that's a cheap answer, and I want them to know that I know that.

Hey, I know some folks here like the stuff and fine with me.  I just don't get the justification for the hype.

If somebody is going to say that their stuff is better than everyone elses, then they need to say why.  Not just say it's better.

Glare is like a new religion. It's faith-based, no substantiation needed. Either you believe in Glare or you don't. ;)

:indian_chief:

RedFXR2

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »

Glare is like a new religion. It's faith-based, no substantiation needed. Either you believe in Glare or you don't. ;)

:indian_chief:

Then I guess that makes me a Glare agnostic.  I need proof.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »

Shame on you guys for going from chicks in bikinis to on-topic in this thred! >:(

RedFXR2

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »

Allow me:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

Shame on you guys for going from chicks in bikinis to on-topic in this thred! >:(

Uh Oh.  :nervous: Busted.  :apple: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »

Well said 103!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

Let me clarify . . . . HOT CHICKS IN BIKINIS . . . . just in case that Fired00d guy gets any funky ideas. :nervous:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »

Let me clarify . . . . HOT CHICKS IN BIKINIS . . . . just in case that Fired00d guy gets any funky ideas. :nervous:

Come on don't you want me to google something for you?? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

One thing that might make some difference, and I've not researched this subject...when did car manufacuturers, or painters in general stop using lacquers and go to clearcoat.  The guy at work who does touch up painting for us says there is a HUGE difference in the durability.  I'm just taking his word, not as gospel, but as someone who has been doing this type of thing for the past 30 years or so.  It does seem that the clearcoats are more vulnerable to impacts, etc.

It doesn't matter much to me, 'cause I pray to the Glare gods daily...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RedFXR2

« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »

...when did car manufacturers, or painters in general stop using lacquers and go to clearcoat.  It does seem that the clearcoats are more vulnerable to impacts, etc.

Looks like lacquer was replaced by enamel in the 1960's and then by enamel/clearcoat in the 80's.  for increased durability.

When domestic development resumed after World War II, acrylic lacquers gave the OEM and refinish industries a quantum leap forward. Lacquer offered an exceptionally fast drying time compared to the early enamels. This translated into a significant productivity increase on assembly lines which facilitated automobile manufacturing to meet the high post-war demand. The acrylic lacquer formulation also brought an even greater expanse to available color formulations. Within a couple of decades, methods of using acrylic resins in enamel paints were developed and the age of technology was upon us.

Enamels outperformed the lacquers by eliminating the buffing required after drying to achieve a high-gloss finish and also provided an improved resistance to UV damage.
They also benefited users by both retaining durability and outpacing the speed of the earlier application methods. The use of catalysts, which began shortly after the introduction of acrylic enamels, boosted performance up to 50 percent over lacquers. PPG has often had a hand in the development of new generations of OEM and refinish technology. An area in which they made a significant contribution during the 1970s was in primer systems. PPG pioneered cationic electrodeposition to combat the debilitating effects of corrosion on automobiles. This OEM landmark was responsible for largely negating the impact of rust on a vehicle’s expected lifespan.

As automotive production finish techniques rushed into the ‘80s, paint development advanced with the introduction of the basecoat/clearcoat process. The interaction of purpose-driven processes and complementary catalysts led to the greatest advancements yet in finishes. This method resulted in greater durability, chip resistance and very high gloss. Application methods also advanced, allowing OEMs and refinish operations to realize the benefits of better quality products, easier handling application, and the always critical improvement in speed on all levels

http://www.ditzlerautopaint.com/history.html

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:07:32 AM by RedFXR2 »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:02 AM »

MMMMM Well, I completely lost track of where this thread was going.... heading .... turning .... evolving .... etc.  But I have used the Glare product and was happily impressed. 

Unfortunately, I don't have the strength, energy to wash and clean bikes as often as they need it, and they usually don't display their best foot forward at all times, but when I do clean them up, that Glare polish base really helps a lot. 

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »

Polishes are about like motor oils when it comes to brand loyalty.  In today's market, it is hard to buy a bad polish/wax..  I use Zaino myself, but that's just me.

ME TOOOOO!!!!

I have been using Zaino myself for years. It is not cheap but it just doesn't get any better!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.