Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worn Cam ensioners  (Read 2087 times)

hd-51

• 2 eagles 1 garage
Worn Cam ensioners
« on: March 18, 2004, 01:59:40 PM »

Here is a picture of a cam chain tensioner off my 2001 SERG with only 38000 miles, be warned to have ours checked often. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Worn Cam ensioners
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 02:38:23 PM »

Great pictures - thanks for posting.  It's my understanding that there have been fairly recent changes in the design and/or materials used for the tensioners because of this problem in earlier TCs.  Can anyone confirm who is more knowledgeable than me?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:12:51 PM »

Wow, got all the way down into the metal on the one.  Not good.

There has been improvements however, gear drive will totally elimanate this problem all together.  Woods makes cams for the 103" motor that uses stock heads but is gear driven cams.  I've got a thread on it, on this board.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 10:33:36 PM »

The one on the right show kinda strange pitting, is it a material change due to the pitting? If it is pitting, cause?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 10:50:52 AM »

Anybody else have information or knowledge on this?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 11:37:49 AM »

I put a new cam in my '01 dyna last season at 17,500 miles and those shoes on my cam tensioners were just as wasted (one was to the metal). Obviously I replaced them and got a recommendation from the guy doing the work to go for the gear drive by S&S. However I did not  (at the time the bike was apart I already had over 2k invested in upgrades and was not prepared to drop another $700 at that time). I will be adding a gear drive to my SEEG and eventually to my dyna (in a couple of seasons when it's time to do the top end) and the main reason is dependabilty/relyability. I have ridden 2 scooters with the gear drive installed and both did have a noticable wine that my dyna doesn't have, so there is some trade off!!
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

REDEAGLE13

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 06:46:27 PM »

Man- I wish I would of heard your advice.  Just had everything replaced in the cam cone, because those tensioners exploded in there.  Took out oil pump, cams, chain, needle bearings, etc......  I have a 2000 SE roadglide, only 34000 miles on it.  Glad you caught yours.

Redeagle13

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.