Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' Eagle® Road Glide®

Did I mess up making it my own

(1/6) > >>

lyn.husen:
Three years ago I decided I needed another Road Glide as spare for when my 2008 was down. I purchased a used 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange 1 owner with 30,000 on it. At 6’3” I had to replace the bars & seat as my knees hit the bars & seat put me to far forward. Since then I have had lifters replaced due to one shearing in the first month. So total upgrades are as follows:
LA Choppers 16” bars
Dakota Digital Gauges
After market Stereo
V&H power duals
V&H HO slipons
Dragos 580 Cam for the 110
Custom Dynamics Contrast Cut Airhorn
Progressive Monotubes
Ohlins Rear Shocks
Power Vision Target Tune w/Wideband02 Sensors
Ultrakool 2.0 Oil Cooler

Anyway the other day I stopped by the local HD to take a test ride of a 2018 to appease my I think I need a new scoot frame of mind. Pretty much totally over it now as I wasn’t all that impressed.
Got back from the ride & didn’t see my Scoot in the lot, brought the fob in an asked the sales guy where mine was at. Was told they were going over it so the could give me a fair offer as a trade. Decided I would go ahead and see what they had to offer knowing full well I wasn’t in the market, manager came in & said they would give me $11,000 on a new 2018 CVO due to the fact that it wasn’t stock. To make a long story short I love my 09 & told him that’s ok I’ll keep what I have. He then goes but you could have your Dream Bike, I kinda chuckled and said I already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzly:
I'm sure there are many on this site (and elsewhere) who would never part with their '09 Road Glide.

Beautiful bikes, for sure.   :2vrolijk_21:

GregKhougaz:
Beautiful bike. To answer your original question, no! I thought making it your own was what Harleys are for.

lyn.husen:

--- Quote from: Grizzly on May 23, 2018, 09:43:11 AM ---I'm sure there are many on this site (and elsewhere) who would never part with their '09 Road Glide.

Beautiful bikes, for sure.   :2vrolijk_21:

--- End quote ---
True, although I did part with my 08 RG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaEagle:
To answer your question I guess it boils down to what aspect would the question apply.....
If you are talking about making a bike more dependable, safer, or comfortable so that you have many more happy hours riding then spending money on mods is not a bad thing.
On the other hand everybody has to understand that the majority of money on mods is not recovered unless you are lucky and find some buyer that loves what you have done and is willing to pay what you think it's worth. Usually you get pennies on the dollar for mods. Also whether the mods take the bike away from stock it may limit the number of riders who may like what you have done. (ex. someone who is looking for a frame mounted fairing bike is probably looking for protection from the weather and putting high handlebars on that type of bike puts your hands and arms back into the wind and might deter some potential buyers, otherwise it may attract someone who likes the style if it hasn't gone out of style etc.)
The dealership or potential buyer may be thinking of all the money they will have to spend to bring it closer to stock or to change it to make it their own style.
Overall the current owner of anything thinks their item is always worth more due to the emotional investment and the potential buyer wants a bargain. It always comes down to supply and demand and I never plan to profit from any vehicle just enjoy it while I can and get the best price when I decide it's time to part with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version