Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another cam question  (Read 841 times)

Fed68

• Full CVO Member
Another cam question
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »

One of the things that I have been considering for some time has been upgrading the cams in my 08 SEUC.  As I have researched this subject, I think I really am more confused as ever as to what to do.  I know there have been those who have asked, “What is the best cam with whatever other modification that a person has done?”, but it sure seems this really depends on who you ask.   I have also seen the posts that will show the before and after dyno’s of the modifications that have been done as well, but that seems to be subjective as well depending on the dyno and operator from what I read.

So this leads to my question.  Has any one person, on one day, with one dyno, with one bike, say with Rhinehart pipes, TTS Mastertuner, and a Screaming Eagle Air breather, (or whatever one set of modifications to the bike) tested multiple drop-in cams to see what the difference in performance is from the stock cams?  I would think that if this done that it would be comparing apples to apples or am thinking about this the wrong way.  Doing it this way would seem to me to take away differences in dyno’s, operators, weather conditions from day to day, and so on.  I would think that a person could then see what each cam will do over the entire rpm range and then make the best decision as to what cam fits the person the best.

Thanks for any insight into this.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Another cam question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »

Please tell us what you wish to accomplish.
A cam change can change the personality of the ride and that needs to be taylored to the riders load, type of riding, and expectations.

Fed68

• Full CVO Member
Re: Another cam question
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »

I guess my thought is that there is probably a better choice of cams for these bikes than stock, because my thoughts revolve around the company having to meet emission standards, etc so the bike is not running at it's peak performance.  I don't have the money at this point to do any head work, so I just thought that changing the cams is my next step to a better overall performing bike.  That was why I asked the question about if any one mechanic/dyno operator has ever done comparisons on the dyno with different cams to see side by side comparisons so one can see what each one does.

I know the riding style makes a difference in what a person wants, whether you ride up towards the upper, mid, or lower rpm range, or two-up riding, etc, but my biggest thought still just revolved around knowing what different cams do next to each other on the dyno sheet.  But again, my biggest question revolved around one person doing the comparisons to see exactly what each cam did.  Maybe this is me just being too particular.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.