Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: favorite road tunes revisted  (Read 108051 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: favorite road tunes revisted
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »

I like XM channel 12 , Outlaw Country.. I think they broadcast out of Kentucky.

As soon as the weather breaks, I'm going to activate my XM and give it a shot.  Is the sound quality there on XM radio?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »

As good as can be expected on a bike. And you will still have areas where the signal will fade - it is not perfect, but far better then then trying to keep the FM playing.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »

As good as can be expected on a bike. And you will still have areas where the signal will fade - it is not perfect, but far better then then trying to keep the FM playing.

So the sound and signal quality aren't any better than FM?  Also, with it being satellite, I would think that you should be able to pick it up anywhere, just like you should be able to use your GPS anywhere.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »

So the sound and signal quality aren't any better than FM?  Also, with it being satellite, I would think that you should be able to pick it up anywhere, just like you should be able to use your GPS anywhere.

Let me re-phrase this.

The sound and signal quality are about as good as you could expect out of a motorcycle sound system.

In your house and car you could expect near CD quality out of an XM receiver, with no static. Typically, with XM, if the signal is weak it just goes out, unlike listening to an FM receiver.

XM and Sirius use only one satellite each as far as I know. GPS is a US government run program, called NAVSTAR GPS, utilizing 30 satellites. The system uses 24 and usually has 6 “spare” satellites (there is a new GPS satellite that what put up a couple years ago the is causing havoc with many older GPS units).

You only need three to get the most basic fix and at least 4 to get a “3D” fix (altitude).

Typical consumer GPS units will “see” anywhere from 4 – 12 satellites at a time. Many GPS units have a screen that will show you the sats in view in real time.
So – you only need 4 sats for a “fix. You GPS will typically have in view 8-12 sats.

So that is why your GPS will work better then your 1 satellite XM. It is not unusual in my area to ride down one particular highway that has no tree coverage and to have my XM go in and out.

BTW, it may be hard to believe. But the US government named “NAVSTAR” of the GPS system (Global Positioning System) is NOT an acronym!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:49:48 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »

Let m re-phrase this.

The sound and signal quality are about as good as you could expect out of a motorcycle sound system.

In your house and car you could expect near CD quality out of an XM receiver, with no static. Typically, with XM, if the signal is weak it just goes out, unlike listening to an FM receiver.

XM and Sirius use only one satellite each as far as I know. GPS is a US government run program, called NAVSTAR GPS, utilizing 30 satellites. The system uses 24 and usually has 6 “spare” satellites (there is a new GPS satellite that what put up a couple years ago the is causing havoc with many older GPS units).

You only need three to get the most basic fix and at least 4 to get a “3D” fix (altitude).

Typical consumer GPS units will “see” anywhere from 4 – 12 satellites at a time. Many GPS units have a screen that will show you the sats in view in real time.
So – you only need 4 sats for a “fix. You GPS will typically have in view 8-12 sats.

So that is why your GPS will work better then your 1 satellite XM. It is not unusual in my area to ride down one particular highway that has no tree coverage and to have my XM go in and out.

BTW, it may be hard to believe. But the US government named “NAVSTAR” of the GPS system (Global Positioning System) is NOT an acronym!

Thanks.  I guess that's why they give us a 3 month free trial...to try it out.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »

It will cost about $13 a month. Some months IO listen to it a lot and some months I don't listen at all.

It is good when traveling though.

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »

Wow, I just went through this entire thread and listened to at least part of almost every song.  There's some good stuff on there.  So now, ARE YOU GUYS READY TO ROCK?  Well, I'll start off with a little sing along number here, assuming I can get it to post. I couldn't find a full version on youtube.  I'm sure you guys remember Panama Red by New Riders of the Purple Sage.

http://www.rhapsody.com/player?type=track&id=tra.451702&remote=false&page=&pageregion=&guid=&from=&hasrhapx=true&__pcode=

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »

Okay, that last one worked from the link anyway.  Now here's the heart of it all.  No rock collection is complete without this classic.  If this one doesn't get your foot tappin', then we simply have different musical tastes.  The band...Ram Jam.  Remember them?  and the song Old Black Betty of course.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2009, 01:46:07 AM »

and Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow playing Man on the Silver Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&hl=ja&v=ROKHIH7-gnU

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:49:33 AM by 1abastarsmda »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2009, 01:53:49 AM »

Rick Derringer   Rock 'n Roll Hoochie Koo

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:08 AM »

The Yardbirds with Jeff Beck      Train Kept a Rollin           I may have seen this one posted already, but I couldn't remember.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2009, 02:02:35 AM »

April Wine           Roller

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »

I'm doubting that most of you have ever heard of this group.  They have been one of my favorites since back in the 70's.  I just saw them in concert last summer here in Pittsburgh and it was without a doubt the best concert I've ever seen.  OMG, what a show and what a jam session.  After playing together for what must be over 30 years together, these guys know how to play to their loyal fan following.  The group is Crack the Sky.  This song is called Nuclear Apathy.  It starts off very mellow and slow, moves to a bit quicker pace a little under 2 minutes in, then picks up to a completely different high speed pace throughout the mid section of the song, and then back to a slow ending.  If you like what you hear, you should really check out some of their other songs.  They catch you off guard a lot with changing pace throughout their songs.  When I saw them last summer, including a few guest appearances, in some of the songs they had up to 6 guitars playing at once and battling jams back and forth.  To make the night a total smash for me, I ran into my old college roommate at the concert.  He was the one that originally turned me on to this group and I hadn't seen him since around 1980.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2009, 02:31:46 AM »

I'll have to revisit this music thing again over the next few days.  I'm beat.  I'll have to go through some of what I have here and see if there's some "must haves" that haven't been listed anywhere yet.  But one last one has popped into my mind that I didn't see listed.  Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:51 AM »

I got Iron Butterfly on my ipod, and Humble Pie
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 21 queries.