Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249528 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »

It sounds like had a wonderful weekend and anniversary ride.  Truely inspirational...  God Bless...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »

happy belated anniversary... and its awesome to hear that u and him are riding.... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »

Sue,
So happy to hear that you were able to git in the two rides!
Just want to know if Sam still has the big old grin on his face, I know he was too tired to wipe it off. ;D
God Bless both of you.
Your friend,
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #333 on: April 07, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

Hi Sue,

Glad to hear you and Sam were able to get out and go two days in a row.  Sounds like you had a great anniversary. We will keep you both in our prayers, let us know how the PET scan goes.

Jim
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

Sam /Sue,
Just wondering how you are doing? Think about the two of you every day. Pray that all is well and the weather is warm enough for riding.
God Bless!
Mike
your friend
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »

Sam /Sue,
Just wondering how you are doing? Think about the two of you every day. Pray that all is well and the weather is warm enough for riding.
God Bless!
Mike
your friend
Yeah !! what Mike said.  Hope all is well

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »

Howdy; part 1 of 2

Hello Family and Friends at CVOHarley,

Sorry for the delayed update.

I would like to start this update with a quote from my earliest post that followed my first PET Scan that referred to the newly discovered malignant tumors in my chest.

Quote: “They will just grow and spread to other parts of my body until systems start to shut down. I haven't been given a date yet, but it is now official, the word Terminal was used so it seems this will be my undoing unless a miraculous event takes place. Now would be good!! lol So then it would be unterminal, much better. Lol”

The Key word that I would like to point out is, “Miraculous”. Right around that same time, my oncology Doctors told me, I not only have tumors in my chest, but one of them was very large and what’s worse, it was inoperable and without a cure. All this information, given to my wife and I was the findings of the Tumor Board that meet every Tuesday at the VA Hospital in Vermont. Not only VA Doctors attended this Tumor Board Meeting, but are also attended by Doctors from a local teaching Hospital, the Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital.

This is where I realized I needed help much beyond the reach of man and his medical expertise. Since my wife and I are folks of faith, it came natural for us to turn to our Farther in heaven for help. This is also when I went to Boston, Mass VA Hospital for a second opinion. My first answer to our prayer came in Boston from Dr. Cohen. He told me all the same information that I had first received, with this exception, he would do the surgery that I needed. I must admit, as pointed out in the above quote, I had my doubts even to go for a second opinion, and again, I admit, I was surprised to hear this Surgeon say he would operate on me. Not only would he operate, but, He asked me what I had planned for the next Thursday (the day after Veterans Day). By the end of that next Thursday, I had had the surgery and it was as successful as we had hoped for. (all those details are stated in the earlier posts)

After the following four weeks of recovery from surgery I went to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital with the hope that Radiation would soon start. To my surprise, I was told that Dartmouth would not do any radiation on me. I was told they are in the business of helping people not hurting them. Once again, this was a combined decision from that same Tumor Board that had first, in so many words told me to go home and die. Much confusion abounded as stated in my many posts that followed.
Ps 118:8

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »

part 2 of 2

Within a few weeks after that roller coaster ride I started chemotherapy at the Vermont VA Hospital. So that all is clear, I would like to remind you all of the fact that all this was to buy me more time to live. Now, this brings me up to my latest CAT-Scan and the results that it gave. My Vermont VA Doctor, Dr. O’Donnall told me that I didn’t need to have my last three day round of chemotherapy because the CAT-Scan had shown such great results. Now, don’t get me wrong, I knew this was great news but, I was a bit reserved and slow to fully jump with joy and thanksgiving. After all, this new report was the findings of the same Tumor Board that had twice before slammed me with a death sentence. Needless to say, I wanted a second opinion with the use of a PET-Scan. I was given my wish and a PET-Scan was scheduled. It was completed and showed the same great results. Nothing lit up. The PET-Scan was clear, no cancer. I asked for an additional reading of the scans by a Doctor outside the VA system. This too was granted to me. The additional report was by Dr. Mahadivide at the Concord Hospital. He called me and gave me the confirmation that I had doubtfully waited and also hoped for. Since he was my second hope for Radiation, I knew he was familiar with my previous Scans, so I asked him if it was possible that a wrong Scan had been sent to him. He assured me that it was a Scan of me and the report was a great report. He agreed that I not only didn’t need to continue to receive chemotherapy but I also didn’t need to receive any radiation treatment. He also agreed that I should keep the monthly follow up appointments with Dr O’Donnall my VA oncology Doctor, as well as the CAT-Scans set up for me every three months. So, now I can say with all the assurance I can muster, I believe intervention of my God has been given to me and the miraculous outcome of this bumpy road has bought me time as was my prayer.

I also know that if and when this thymic carcinoma cancer shows it’s ugly head again, the right recipe of chemo drugs will be at the ready, to beat the cancer to the mat once again. I do know that at some point down that road the chemo will have no more effect against this cancer. But, know this for sure, the cancer has been beaten to the mat this time and I have won yet another round in this fight for time against a foe, that I stated in an earlier post, (this cancer doesn’t know who it’s up against). At this time I do have a problem with my breathing due to the phrenic nerve damage that was done during my surgery. This damage has paralyzed and caused the permanent loss of use of my right side diaphragm. While I’m sitting, I breathe OK, but, with much of any excersion I’m out of breath and I find myself gasping for air. I’m hoping that exercise will help this problem. I also need to gain some weight and muscle mass that I have lost since the surgery last November 12th. I am still on the mend from open chest surgery as well as the level of fatigue and exhaustion I deal with daily. So to sum it up, I'm still on a bumpy road, but not as bumpy as it was.

I am thankful for the Doctors that took part in the success of my yo-yo ride of events. I am thankful to my God for the many prayers that He listened to and answered in a mighty way. I am also thankful for the many of you that took the time to pray for me during these many months. I am also thankful for those encouraging words that you sent by e-mail and cards and letters and gifts you sent by USPS, UPS and FED-X.

Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I keep my Doctor and CAT-Scan appointments and walk vigilantly looking over my shoulder at the ready to do battle against my foe, cancer. Also please keep me in mind as I build my endurance to ride my motorcycle for another summer riding season. My first long distance ride planned is the Cabot Trail in northern Nova Scotia, Canada. Now I have to get myself into shape and I have about 6 or 7 weeks to do so.

With sincere thankfulness to you all

Dad, Sam, chappy, friend

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »

Sam, that's wonderful man.  Amazing in every possible way.  No words to do it justice sir.  Damn you're inspiring.

Not to be a dark cloud at all, but the entirety of the history still has a part that pisses me off.  Got to admit my biases up front.  Don't trust doctors any farther than I can ride them (two-up).  It's a bias that comes from too many errors in my father's care and others I've witnessed.  But you had a group of professionals willing to send you home to die.  With little more than a pat on the ass and a patronizing "we're not here to make it worse."

Obviously the focus is on the miracle; and the future.  As it should be.  Some small part of me would still be pissed though.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »

Sam, that's wonderful man.  Amazing in every possible way.  No words to do it justice sir.  Damn you're inspiring.

Not to be a dark cloud at all, but the entirety of the history still has a part that pisses me off.  Got to admit my biases up front.  Don't trust doctors any farther than I can ride them (two-up).  It's a bias that comes from too many errors in my father's care and others I've witnessed.  But you had a group of professionals willing to send you home to die.  With little more than a pat on the ass and a patronizing "we're not here to make it worse."

Obviously the focus is on the miracle; and the future.  As it should be.  Some small part of me would still be pissed though.

DITTO

JW

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »

Sam :-)   It gives my heart so much joy to read the words that you have posted this time.  I keep you and Sue and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and thank you for the incredable amount of inspiration you have given me through you battle, and the way you have shared your faith with all of us.  I look forward to the day I get to shake your hand and give you a hug when we meet out on the road my friend.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »

Hi Twolanerider and blackdiamond, I think we three are riding tandom when it comes to the short fallings of the medical field. Especially when it comes to the Doctors people skills. At least many of them. I have seen agendas by Doctors and staff that aren't in the best interests of the poor guy needing help. That's why much of my prayer asked the Lord to guide the hands of the Doctors and bless the teaching that should have sunk into their brains. Thier ego and pride is up to them. All jokes aside, I always want a second opinion. lol    Now as far as pissed, well I think it would hold the same value of a piss hole in the snow. Can't give it away so there ain't much need to hang on to them either.  lol          your friend, chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »

Sam :-)    I look forward to the day I get to shake your hand and give you a hug when we meet out on the road my friend.

Marty

Right back at you, and the sooner the better.
Sam   aka  chappy

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:39 AM »

Sam:

You latest posts are what so many of us have been hoping and praying for. My joy at reading them is indescribable. We'll continue to be with you and can't wait to read your updates and ride reports in the months / years ahead.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »

Sam / My Friend,
Today I am as happy as I have ever been after reading your posts. God has answered the prayers of many
of your family and friends. You have been truly blessed!
I look forward to to the day in the near future when we meet up in person.
My prayers continue for you and Sue.
Your friend,
Mike

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 99

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 21 queries.