Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249475 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #675 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »

May 03, 2011
To my Friends and Family,

I hope this finds you and yours well.

Time sure passes by doesn’t it? Seems I just wrote the other day. Anyway, here’s some of the latest info in a long line of my continuing battle against Thymic Carcinoma cancer.

As many of you know, today was my follow up Oncology Doctor’s appointment since my last visit on April 5th that ended with me getting a transfusion of two units of blood. Today’s 8 am appointment included a physical once over, blood work, lots of questions and my visit ended at about 1:30 pm with a CT-scan. I didn’t have the usual contrast dye for this CT-scan because my blood test revealed that my creatine (kidney/liver function) number was low enough to exclude the isotope dye.

When I got home I laid down for a nap and fell right to sleep. I slept soundly until my Oncology Doctor called with the preliminary CT-scan results. Here goes; after comparing my January CT-scan with today’s my Doctor and the Radiologist agreed, my largest tumors in both lungs have increased in size. I also have several new tumors in all lobes of both of my lungs. They vary in size but the largest of the tumors are the same tumors that we have been watching since the CT-scan that led the Surgeon to set the surgery tentative date of October 07 of last year. As a reminder, that’s when the Tumor Board at Boston VA Hospital determined them inoperable and my second regime of chemo started. Time flies even when you’re not having fun. Lol

My Doctor also stated that he would call me on Friday with a more conclusive report. That works good for me because it gives me time to get my head wrapped around what this means as well as time to prepare questions that Sue and I might have. It’s kind of funny really, but no mater how well I prepare the questions I plan to ask my Doctor, I seem to forget or skip over many of them. Maybe because as I’m told medical info, and test results that bring about new questions at such a rapid pace I just plain forget the questions I had. lol  Yupper, I do write them down.

So, I guess, I’m safe to report, the sum total of what I now know has reached a new and amazing level of insufficient once again. I lack any information that reveals the plan of medical action from this point forward, but hope that Friday will put things in perspective for me. Will pass it on when I get it.

Sincerely
Sam/chappy

Ps 118:8

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #676 on: May 04, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »

Sorry to hear Sam, wish the news would have been better. I continue to pray for you and Sue, keep us updated.

Craig

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #677 on: May 04, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

Praying for you, my friend.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #678 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »

Stepping up the prayers my brother, keep your head up.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #679 on: May 04, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »

I'm fairly new to this site and I have found that just by reading it, it can brighten one's day and hope that during your battle, the encouragement members give will get you through your day. When I lost my wife unexpectantly in 2009, the first people at my door were my riding brothers and sisters from my chapter, people on Harley's look out for their kind, and even though many people on this site have not met each other, everyone respects and is concerned with everyone, it shows because every thread helps someone. Maybe the rest of the world could take a page from our posts, imagine if everyone rode a Harley! :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #680 on: May 04, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »

I'm fairly new to this site and I have found that just by reading it, it can brighten one's day and hope that during your battle, the encouragement members give will get you through your day. When I lost my wife unexpectantly in 2009, the first people at my door were my riding brothers and sisters from my chapter, people on Harley's look out for their kind, and even though many people on this site have not met each other, everyone respects and is concerned with everyone, it shows because every thread helps someone. Maybe the rest of the world could take a page from our posts, imagine if everyone rode a Harley! :2vrolijk_21:

Hello Big Dog,

I am sorry to hear that you lost your wife, please except my condolences.
Welcome to the CVO site. Here you will find some of the best that the Harley riding world has to offer.
Keep your eye open for CVO gatherings in your area and attend if you can.
I know you will be glad you took the next step of CVO membership to CVO friendship

Your friend in Sunapee, NH
Sam/chappy

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #681 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:03:29 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #682 on: May 04, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »

Sam, I am sorry to hear the news you received wasn't the greatest. However, I continue to believe and pray for your complete recovery. There is a lesson (or a dozen) to be learned here. I know I for one have learned a few reading your posts. I appreciate the effort you put forth to keep us informed. I cannot imagine what you and your family have had to endure but I know that we are all better for you sharing some of your life with us. I read all the heart felt comments here and join the ranks of so many that stand ready to help in any way I can.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #683 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »

Heres for you Sam
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #684 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »

Sam, I am sorry to hear the news you received wasn't the greatest. However, I continue to believe and pray for your complete recovery. There is a lesson (or a dozen) to be learned here. I know I for one have learned a few reading your posts. I appreciate the effort you put forth to keep us informed. I cannot imagine what you and your family have had to endure but I know that we are all better for you sharing some of your life with us. I read all the heart felt comments here and join the ranks of so many that stand ready to help in any way I can.

Hello my Friend,

Thanks for your continued concern and faithful prayer you have sent upward for my complete recovery. Like so many within the membership of CVO forums you too have let me know that you stand in the gap at ready to help me and Sue. For this I am forever humbled and for ever greatful. My statement of graditude merely scratches the surface of so many of my emotions. What I mean, goes along with the "Lessons learned" you stated above in your post, but, for me, I too have learned so much in the way of recieving and the genuine emotions that go hand in hand with humble greatfulness. I've mentioned before how Sue and I were among those that gave of ourselves with time or material and tried to fill the needs of others as those needs became apparent to us. I now know that it was easier for us to do that when we had funds coming in at a steady and more plentiful flow. But, times change and sometimes time changes in a moment and those changes sometimes are life changing. Don't get me wrong, I'm only trying to relate to how difficult it is to be on the recieving end rather than the giving end. I have found that being humbled is not one of my natural emotions nor does it seem to be one of my polished attributes although my fight against cancer has had it's polishing effect. lol  But so has the Love, yes, Love is the word and Love perfectly describes what so many of you guys show toward Sue and me by the words you have written and actions you have taken on behalf of Sue and me. It really is an amazing thing you know!  

The many heart felt posts I have read in response to my updates of how Sue and I are and have been dealing with the hand that we were delt has been such a source of strength for both of us. We are not alone and the fact that life comes at you fast and usually in unexpected ways is very evident, illness is just one of the life changing ways. You don't have to read on this forun very long before you can see the struggle that so many of those we care about are going through each and every day. There's an old saying that reffers to such times by stating something like, "Bend over, grab your bootstraps and get on with your life", well something like that anyway, but I think I'm at least close to the meaning. Well, I've got this to say about that; far as my fight against cancer, man, all I can say is, not only have you all offered me a steady source of encouragemnt and strength while I have been "Down, but not out", but because of you guys I have or maybe I should say have been learning how to recieve and draw off the source of encouragement and strength you made available to Sue and I. And please know this, I AM ENCOURAGED AND STRENGTHENED BY YOUR UNENDING PRAYERS AND CONCERNS. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

Your friend to the end
Sam

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:56:57 AM by chappy »

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #685 on: May 05, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

Heres for you Sam

Hi Chains,

I wonder if GS Harley has read this facebook page.
Sad so many businesses are only greed motivated
even sader, when it's a Harley Shop.

Like I stated in several posts of mine, I've been all over the country and have stopped in many different Harley shops along my way for simple maintenance like a tire or oil change and even been (I hate to say) towed to many different harley shops around the country. Lately I have given closer attention to the roadtrip memories and such stops at so many different Harley shops and after a closer examination, and beside Granite State Harley I can recall only one other Harley shop that wanted to rip me off, but in the end I was reimbursed for the amount that shop owed me. lol  Now that's a funny story I'll write down sometime.

I'll keep ya'll informed

your friend
Sam/chappy

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #686 on: May 05, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »

Sam I have been broken down thousands of miles from home and had shop owners open up put my bike in their shop and even take me to a hotel till I could get arrangements made to get my bike fixed.  99% of the time at zero costs.  These guys that ripped you off should be put out of business, they destroy the good name of honest dealers.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #687 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »

Sam I have been broken down thousands of miles from home and had shop owners open up put my bike in their shop and even take me to a hotel till I could get arrangements made to get my bike fixed.  99% of the time at zero costs.  These guys that ripped you off should be put out of business, they destroy the good name of honest dealers.

Hi Brother,

I have had experiences just as you mention above and as I mentioned only twice have I been ripped off.
The pleasure of stopping at Harley shops around the country comes the great experience with the folks and the great service.
I've even had dealers take a bike off the rack so my bike could be worked on so I could get back on the road. Thinking of those good memories brings a smile to my face.

your friend
Sam

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #688 on: May 05, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »

Well I usually try to stay away from dealers, cars or Bikes, unless under warranty. In general they just charge to much for parts and service.

Craig

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #689 on: May 05, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

Hi Sam, hope your day is going well. I've been in alot of dealerships both in Canada and States and some just plainly want your business and others seem to not be bothered with you. It's too bad it comes down to bad blood, I only started riding a Harley in 2005 because earlier to that, when a Road King and Heritage Springer were in excess of $40K cdn, all I could do was look through the window and wish. How was it in the 70's and 80's, how was the "love"?
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 99

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.