Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249631 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #840 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »

Hello Family and Friends,

Here's a long update about the roadtrip, sorry it's a few posts long

Before my last conversation with my oncologist I was not feeling much like doing anything, let alone pulling off the long hoped for ride to the wedding of HSOA members Union Jack and Consi at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort in North Carolina. But, after the dose of Dr. O’Donnell’s reality check I decided it WAS in fact time for that ride to attend the biker wedding. I’m so glad Sue and I made it. It was a great wedding and I can’t think of a nicer setting for such an occasion. Sue and I were going to leave NH on Wednesday so we could go the slow roads and take our time getting there, but as things got to the night before it turned into a wait for the next day instead. So we left in the rain and in and out of the pounding rain all the way to the Iron Horse Resort some 1060 miles from home. It was a good thing we waited a day to leave because Dixie had sent me a Rings and Springs Tee Shirt so I could wear it on Saturday. As late as the day Dixie sent me the Tee I wasn’t going to make it to the wedding. But, I brought the tee with me and got to wear it at the wedding along with the 120 other folks that was in attendance. I got to again see so many HSOA members and meet some that I hadn’t met before as well as meeting Consi’s folks. Sue was able to finally meet so many of the folks that I had been bragging about. Sue and I were beat from the ride but what a great weekend. We spent a lot of time sitting around on Sunday visiting with the owners of the resort while others were out for a ride on some of the most beautiful roads this side of the Mississippi River.

The owners “John and Charlene” are the most accommodating Hosts I have ever had the pleasure of meeting while on a roadtrip. If you can get there, do it, you won’t be sorry for sure. Check it out at http://www.ironhorsenc.com/index.html

Hey everyone, thanks for all the cards, what a treat I had when I got home to my mail!! Like I've said so many times, I'm a blessed man to have friends such as you!

This is a bit long winded but so was the ride. Lol Sue and I finally got home Yesterday with 12 days in the saddle. What a ride, we rode south and west around an earthquake in VA, and had a break down, it was only a main breaker and I was able to limp into the H-D dealer and was all fixed up in no time at all and back on the road. We skirted Hurricane Irene to out east while we continued our ride on and off in the pounding rain coming from the west. The weekend of the wedding was beautiful as the hurricane was past NC and still heading to as it turned out, my neck of the woods.
Ps 118:8

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #841 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »

We rode into hot hot heat and very high humidity for the next several days as we rode around the southland. When we headed back northward we got into heavy rain again. You know the kind, stay dry from the rain but sweat like the dickens under the raingear. Either way your wet, the rain brings on a chill to the bones, so the raingear is maybe better on the long haul, but the wet under the raingear smells soooo bad. Lol We got onto the Blue Ridge Parkway at mile marker 200 or so and rode in some of the thickest fog I’ve even been in on two wheels for about 30 miles to end of the BRP at Afton, VA, then we rode down to Waynesboro for the night.

The next morning we rode back up to Afton and got on the Skyline Drive for a nice ride to Big Meadow. That’s about half way to the north end of the Skyline at Front Royal, VA. At Big Meadow we stopped for a bite to eat and as we left the fog rolled in again just as bad as the day before. I took the Luray exit and rode down to Rte 340 (I think) and made our way to Winchester, VA and replaced the worn out rear sneaker, good thing too, because as ya’ll know the bike can get pretty squirelly in the rain with no reartread and back into some more heavy rain. Made up for some time on the I-81 superslab and headed north towards Syracuse, NY, but I was loosing the chance of a longer day as the sun went down, got a room a little south of Scranton, PA. Next morning, wouldn’t you know, we got to leave in the rain again, but to my amazment it stopped raining and off came the raingear.

We stopped and had lunch in Syracuse and visited for a while then back on the road (more on the visit below) We got on I-90 and headed east but only got about 50 miles and the biggest baddest blackest nastiest sky ahead. We pulled off as the weather band was stateing that there was tornado warnings with heavy rain hail and flash floods. One tornado started to come down and befor it could touch down it got sucked up. That was in Utica, NY. Aboutn 20 miles ahead one of the three tornados did touch down and crossed I-90, we saw the damage the next day.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #842 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »

We then rode in the rain to Bennington, VT thinking I would go the way hame I’ve done so many times before, but it was not to be, the road was closed because of Hurricane Irene. We headed north on VT Rte 7 and every road east was closed because the bridges were washed away by the flash floods caused by the heavy rain from Irene. Got as far as Rutland, VT wet and cold and decided that the last leg of the ride would be in the day and not a raining night. We weren’t sure if we would have to go all the way to Burlington, VT to head back south to get across the state of Vermont.

The next day, yesterday we were able to finally wiggle our way over the mountains and trough the woods and got home with daylight to burn, so we hopped in the van and drove to get our boxer an hour away. Never guess what I did when I got home from that. Yupper, it was lights out and night night fo me. Fact is I took a nap this afternoon too. Lo I’m still beat, Sue too.

Now, after all that weather excitement, believe it or not, as I was ready to pull ahead to pay my NY Toll to get off I-90, (and I was next to pay too) we got rear ended. I almost lost the bike to the sudden and unexpected 4 foot push. I’m glad the guy ahead of me took off in a timely fashion or I would have been pushed into him. Turns out the Toll woman saw the whole thing and called the NY State Police. He was there in about a half an hour. Pretty quick for a labor day weekend. The 17 year old girl that hit me was driving a Hummve, man I’m glad she knew where the brake was because she could have drove over me like a small speed bump. I dropped the kickstand and walked back and asked her if she knew she hit me, she was crying and said she knew, she kept saying I’m sorry. Well sorry won’t due. Turns out she only had a learning permit and was alone in the Hummer and wasn’t even supposed to be on the hy-way. The Trooper said why don’t you just exchange info, I said, I’m from out of state and she doen’t have a proper licence so I’d like to have an accident report. After talking to my Ins provider today, I did the right thing. Looks like my little trailer is totaled and she doesn’t follow the leader very well anymore either. The hitch on the bike got pushed forward but the tire still cleared. Good news is, nobody got hurt and I was able to ride the tuna boat with the barge all the way home.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #843 on: September 07, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »

We left the Iron Horse Motortcycle Resort in NC and rode to Chattenooga, TN to have lunch and visit with fellow member JohnTN of HDForums. We met up at Thunder Creek H-D and after lunch we rode together for maybe 30 or 40 miles as I headed to Savannah, GA. John and us parted ways on the roll with a thumbs up and a wave as he took an exit to head back to his home and we kept onward. It was good to see you again my friend.

While in Savannah I woke up pretty sick one morning, heat, humidity, tired or raod food, not sure, but pretty sick. So breakfast with Dave, Carol and Amanda was canceled. We were going to try to make it for supper but, as it would go Sue then got sick as I started to feel better. Needless to say supper was canceled also. We did get to visit and see the new store. I’m glad we got to see you guys and hope to do it again. The sooner the better.

We got back on the road that next morning and headed for John’s Island, SC to have lunch with fellow CVO member MikeyT at Gilligan’s Seafood. We sat and visited for about 3 hours and off onto a raod that had a canopy of live oaks with spanish moss hanging. From there we took the slow roads to I-77 to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sorry we didn’t get to see Suzi too, but we’re so glad we got to see you Mike, till next time be well my friend.

We stopped by the home of fellow CVO member GH and his wife Rocky. She made us a wonderful lunch and we had a great visit. They asked us a dozen times to stay the night night, but you know me, got to be on the move, especially the closer I get to home. So we headed out. As mentioned above we only got about 40 or 50 miles to Utica, NY. What should have been a 6 hour or so ride home from Howie’s turned into a two day plus ride. Vermont really got hit hard. There are still folks without bridges and power or phone lines and such. Killington, VT right next to Rutland where we stayed the last night on the road is still getting airlift supplies. It looks like the weather is really bad in the south parts where we were, we hope all you guys are high and dry.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #844 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »

I’m sure I forgot most of what happened on this roadtrip for right now, but it will all come back to me as I sit around the campfire with others as we talk about our 2 wheeled adventures.

We’re so glad we got to see all you guys and as always, time went by way to fast.

Till next time

The best ride for my dime

has a low shoulder

to no shoulder

no painted line

Just biding my time

This road is mine

Warmest regards

Sam aka chappy

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #845 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »

Sam,
Glad to hear you and Sue made it home safely. I guess with all the rain you rode thru, you won't need to wash our bike for a while. ::)
Looking forward to sitting by the fire and swapping stories real soon. Until then you and Sue take care.
God Bless my Friend,
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #846 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »

Dang, Chappy, you made that ride into a weather-adventure.  Some of 'em are like that, and some just the opposite.  But they're all good.  Sorry 'bout the accident, but amazing that you managed to keep the scooter up and great that no one was hurt.  Rest up and make the trip to MV if ya can.  Ride safe.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #847 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »

Glad to see you finally made it home my friend. It was a real pleasure to see you & Sue. I think you had someone sitting on your shoulder on this ride for sure. Amazing that you were rear ended by a Hummer and walked away unscathed.

Rest up ... we're looking forward to putting together a ride to MV with ya!!!

Howie

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #848 on: September 08, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »

That's funny, and after all those miles I thought is was Sue telling me to slow down.  lol
talk later
Sam

Glad to see you finally made it home my friend. It was a real pleasure to see you & Sue. I think you had someone sitting on your shoulder on this ride for sure. Amazing that you were rear ended by a Hummer and walked away unscathed.

Rest up ... we're looking forward to putting together a ride to MV with ya!!!

Howie

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #849 on: September 08, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »

Hey Chappy! :drink:

Praise God that you made it home safe! I know His angles are with you and Sue! I pray I am able to make it to MV and would be looking forward to seeing you both. Get rest and know you are loved brother! God Bless.... :2vrolijk_21:

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #850 on: September 08, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

Hi Sam,

I'm glad your trip went good for you, except all those wet road miles and the accident. Glad you both came back in one piece.

Mike

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #851 on: September 10, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »

Wow where to start, as you know I had my oncology appointment yesterday. My regular Doc wasn't there so I had a fill-in Dr.

She did all the regular things, blood work and a bodily and verbal once over. And to my surprise I was wrong to think that I got all the info when I got the phone call with bad news from my Onc Dr.  As it turns out, I only got a scratching on the surface of bad news. Here goes, not only had my cancer worked itself into my lungs and it now was working it's way out of my lungs as the phone call reveled a couple of weeks ago and prompted my roadtrip, but,, yesterday I found out that my cancer has traveled to and entered my heart in one place as well as wrapped itself around my aorta and cava vena (sp). The aorta and cava vena are the two biggest arteries or veins that go into or out of my heart. Biology was not my strong suit. lol  The cancer has also worked it's way out of my chest and has become a large lump under my right breast muscle. Now this explains the, what I would call, the extra pain. ouch, I mean ouch even! Do you remember Snagglepus as in "exit, stage right" well, this adventure reminds me of the old cartoon days in many ways. Some are funnier than other. The parting words from the chemo room was, Do you need any pain pills? Maybe so! Their not a cure but they do take the edge off a bit.

The Dr visit ended pretty much just a few minutes after the Doc asked me if I wanted to start Sutent today (yesterday). Well with all the negative side effects I said "NO!!" I've been buzy on the computer and I don't think I want to have those types of side effect from a pill that I would take for the rest of my life. I choose to take another route. But as I think what route that might be, I think I need another roadtrip. The question is can I do it? I'm still beat from the 12 day trip that Sue and I just got back from. It was of the most exciting road adventure and I'd say weather wise I don't think it could me matched in severity and or duration, so it might could be a piece of cake and after all I do have a sweet tooth and all. No trailer to pull behind the bike this time unless I use up some duct tape and of course a few good ole Band Aid bandages.

I'll let you all know what's up in the next week or so

for now, be well my friends

and thanks for your unending support as I fight on

your friend to the end

Sam  aka  chappy

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #852 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »

Sam,
Do what is best for you and your well being. I know the battle is long and taxing on you and Sue, but I also know it is not in your nature to give up. Prayer and friendship is all I can offer and you have them both. If another road trip is in the cards, we would love to share it with you in MV. If not we understand.
I am proud to be your friend and think of  you and Sue as family.
God Bless My Friend and Happy Trails,
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #853 on: September 10, 2011, 11:56:16 PM »

Sorry for the bad news Sam.  You continue to be in my prayers.

DJ

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #854 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:08 AM »

Thank you my friends

for now, it's off to bed

sweat dreams of fine machines
your friend
Sam  aka  chappy
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 99

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.