Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Helmet or Not?  (Read 12939 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Helmet or Not?
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:34:42 PM »

I like this as it gives the other side of the helmet arguement. You Nolan guys will never agree on this but, we should be able to choose. And everyone should know how to drive! ;) Hoist! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOAyXC-9Gw&NR
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Helmet or Not?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »

I like this as it gives the other side of the helmet arguement. You Nolan guys will never agree on this but, we should be able to choose. And everyone should know how to drive! ;) Hoist! 8)

Can disagree with hardly a word the guy says.  All other things being equal (or safe) I'd much rather ride without the lid.  And it's true that riding with the helmet is almost as dangerous as riding without.  The important distinction there being the "almost." 

Truth be told mine isn't on for the extra bit of safety (at least not primarily).  Mine is on, in states where it's my choice, just because I can't hear anymore at the end of a good day in the saddle if I didn't have it on.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:02:23 PM »

Howie,
He makes good points about rider education and stiffer fines for drunk drivers...but he's way off base in saying helmets restrict your vision.  Even a full face helmet has at least 190 degrees of vision (95 on each side).  You're peripheral vision is limited to about 170 (85 degrees on each side.)  It is a big falacy that helmets restrict vision.  Second, he states that hitting something at higher than 14 mph and the helmet will do you no good.  Again, that's a falacy.  I'm living proof on that one.  I was t-boned by a guy doing 35 mph in a pickup...if it hadn't of been for my helmet, they would still be scraping my brains off of the road and I wouldn't be here to talk about it.  You've got just as much chance getting your neck broken without a helmet on as you do with one on, if your helmet is fitted properly.  I don't have a problem with the right to chose, I just don't like people tearing helmets down when they don't have their facts straight.   I do fully indorse making everyone take the MSF course.   Rider education is necessary...but so is getting the cagers to recognize a motorcyclist on the road.  The most common excuse a cage driver gives when they've hit a motorcyclist is, "I didn't see him."  Sorry to be soaping on this one...but I'm a passionate advocate of helmets.  You will never see me ride without one.   This is just my $0.02 :soapbox:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »

I'm living proof on that one.  

Thank goodness for that.  There are lots (and lots and lots and lots) of accident that people survive that make up that "slightly safer" edge in the statistics.  It's real, and absolutely so.  Overall raw numbers aren't great compared to overall number of motorists.  But we're a small part of that cohort to begin with.

Many accidents are of a type that would wipe us out no matter what we were wearing.  Those in the margins, however, are where the make or break (pardon the pun) decisions on overall safety seem to be made though.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:15:50 PM »

Howie, Don and all, I know this is a personal choice in those juristictions where we can choose, but personally I would never ride without a helmet.  Some of what the guy says I agree with - better training, stiffer sentencing for dui, no eating, cell phone, etc, would make the road much safer.  But what about single vehicle crashes like I had in MV.  All this would not have helped me and without a helmet, well we won't go there.

The statement about Dale Earnhart is just plain wrong.  He died because the g-forces ruptured his aorta as I recall.  Had nothing to do with his helmet.

There is an impact standard (for D.O.T. and Snell) but the majority of motorcycle head injuries is NOT due to impact but rather injury to the brain as it shifts inside the skull and slides along the surface (which is not smooth and allows the brain to scrape inself on bony bumps).  Purpose of helmet is that as the soft foam crushes it allows the brain to decelerate which helps reduce injury to it.

Somewhere I think on the site there was a posting of an excellent article by Prof. Harry Hurt in Motorcycle Consumer News, February 2005.  I'll try to find the link and post it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »

Not by law.

My choice, not theirs.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »

Harry Hurt article - here it is in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format.  Could not get entire article - had to download 3 files named page 1, page 2, page 3.

Here is Page 1

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:24:20 PM »

Page 2

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »

Page 3

IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »

Make it simple...Given a choice, would you choose to allow yourself to fall face forward on the pavement...no hands, no bending of legs...just fall over like a tree...with or without a helmet on?  From a distance of just standing on your own two feet.  How about standing on top of a 4 foot wall?  Now if I push you off a building 100 feet tall, it probably won't matter whether you have one on or not, but if you KNOW something is likely to keep you from being hurt when circumstances are within parameters where it's likely to do so, do you prefer to be certain?

Wearing a helmet reduces the chances of busting your head wide a$$ed open on the pavement or on the side of somebody's car...period.  No arguement can be made otherwise.  All the woulda', coulda', shoulda's in the world don't matter a bit when you've got your brains in your hands...but if you choose to explore that possibility, just make sure I don't have to pay for your nurse.

In the end, it's about reducing risk, and a GOOD helmet (not a tupperware bowl), reduces risk.  To me, it's the same as riding in boxer shorts and flip flops...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »

Sorry to be soaping on this one...but I'm a passionate advocate of helmets.  You will never see me ride without one.:soapbox:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

I am 110% with you on this one Red. I think this has become so intertwined with the politics of don't force me to do it that the safety aspect gets lost.  Not a believer in government / big brother intervention but gotta say that without some political muscle doubt we'd have air bags, crumple zones, etc, and we sure as heck would not buckle up.:soapbox:

IBA member # 45520

jackhdd

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 06:32:58 PM »

Helmet-full face!    Three years ago I had a 2001 HD Road King. I was going 60mph and a suv going in the opposite direction turned in front of me, there was nothing I could do in time except hold while I hit it after I hit the suv the bike went on its side with me on it,  The roll bar bent over  against my leg.  My helmet was scrapping against the asphalt, 147ft later the bike stopped. I crawed out from underneath the bike and walked too the side of the road, I looked at my leg and saw bones.  When they took off my helmet you could barely see thru the shield it was so badly scratched. The top of my head had a little scratch but no head injuries.   The harley was totaled.  It took 31/2 months to recover. While I recovered I ordered a 2004 o/b FLHTCSE. I have 23k on it now.  I believe if I would not had that helmet on I wouldnt have much of a face left.   I am a firm believer of wearing a full face helmet.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 06:37:35 PM »

I am 110% with you on this one Red. I think this has become so intertwined with the politics of don't force me to do it that the safety aspect gets lost.  Not a believer in government / big brother intervention but gotta say that without some political muscle doubt we'd have air bags, crumple zones, etc, and we sure as heck would not buckle up.:soapbox:

No doubt about that, Jerry.  I think the government does have a role to play in the safety of it's citizens...granted, it's a fine line to walk, and constantly being redrawn, but I didn't want to wear a seatbelt either...now I unconsiously buckle up.  It's not about freedom to choose...I may be playing Russian Roulette every time I get on a bike, but my gun just has one bullet instead of two...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »

Helmet-full face!    Three years ago I had a 2001 HD Road King. I was going 60mph and a suv going in the opposite direction turned in front of me, there was nothing I could do in time except hold while I hit it after I hit the suv the bike went on its side with me on it,  The roll bar bent over  against my leg.  My helmet was scrapping against the asphalt, 147ft later the bike stopped. I crawed out from underneath the bike and walked too the side of the road, I looked at my leg and saw bones.  When they took off my helmet you could barely see thru the shield it was so badly scratched. The top of my head had a little scratch but no head injuries.   The harley was totaled.  It took 31/2 months to recover. While I recovered I ordered a 2004 o/b FLHTCSE. I have 23k on it now.  I believe if I would not had that helmet on I wouldnt have much of a face left.   I am a firm believer of wearing a full face helmet.
Great first post jackhddWelcome! I too wear a helmet all times but could not of said that several years ago. After a several close calls and I think the looking cool not wearing a helmet days are over for me. Ride on!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »

Riding without a helmet is akin to playing football without a cup; real macho, but dumb as hell.  The only statement made by those who oppose helmets that I can agree with is the one concerning comfort in hot weather.  That is offset by the improved comfort and reduced noise when moving (never was a big fan of bugs, rocks, etc. in the face, or wind causing my eyes to tear up).  I've worn full face helmets (Arai, then Shoei) since '82, and I've never experienced reduced vision issues.  I have had more than one occasion to catch road debris in the face over those years, and that full face helmet saved me from some very serious damage and a possible crash.  I wouldn't consider riding without it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.