Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: NC helmet law  (Read 4157 times)

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
Re: NC helmet law
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »

You should be able to choose. But if you going to wear a brain bucket to look cool why not put on a real helmet that will most likely save your head most of the time. I read somewhere how the brain buckets are actually worse than not wearing anything at all? jmo

I absolutely agree. If I have to wear one, and I do, I wear my Harley DOT approved lid. The Michigan State Police have been cracking down on riders wearing non DOT helmets for some time. 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »

I absolutely agree. If I have to wear one, and I do, I wear my Harley DOT approved lid. The Michigan State Police have been cracking down on riders wearing non DOT helmets for some time. 

I sold my bike in 91 when Washington passed the helmet law, didn't want to ride with one, DUH?

When I came to my senses in 93 and replaced the now gone Springer with a DWG I rode mostly with a shell.

Always in the back of my mind though was a conversation I had with the guy I bought my dealership from.  I had told him I was going to drive a used car to commute in since I have a 125 mile round trip and didn't want to devalue a new car.

BS he said, you have 20 employees waiting every morning for you to be here and on Friday's to sign checks.  With that comes a responsibility, drive a car with a warranty.

The parallel for me has become the same with the helmet issue and I must admit along with 20 more years in age and 30 more employees for a total of 50 now I often reflect on that conversation.  I respect those who wish to ride without a helmet as much as those that ride with one.

In recent years I have taken to riding only with a DOT helmet, it really hasn't diminished the experience and like wearing a seat belt has become the norm. 

When Cindy and I dumped it last week and she had a big raspberry on her lid, I wondered how hard she hit her head and on what.  There were some grapefruit sized rocks on the ground, one of those would do some damage I'm sure.  Long and short of it is I hadn't been down in 40 years and never needed a helmet.

Now having been down and the helmet doing the job for Cindy, I'd be hard pressed to argue against one for me.

I think it's like most things in life, if it feels right and it's time for a change you'll most likely decide to change.  Until then most of us will do what we think is right and continue along as we do now.

I really loved the wind in my hair and the unencumbered feeling of riding without a helmet, but I love Cindy even more and the fact that piece of plastic kept her out of harms way and without a major injury works for me. :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:27:10 AM by Rjob749 »

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »

Bottom line for me... I wanna be able to choose for myself.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 07:17:38 AM »

ANYONE LIVING IN NC AND RIDING HERE PLEASE READ.
http://bikersmag.com/html/nc_biker_rights.html

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »

I BOUGHT MY 1ST DOT HELMET.. :sweatdrop: :furious3:

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

Just my opinion; I don't need the government telling me to wear a helmet or to wear a seatbelt >> Let me decide.  I agree with helmet and seatbelt laws for children (18 & younger), that's good, but as adults, I think we should all get to make those decisions.

I think wearing a helmet is a very good idea and always tell new riders this.  My wife and I have an assortment of helmets, but we do not always choose to wear a helmet >> here in Oklahoma that is our choice.

In Oklahoma, along with the help of ABATE, we regularly let our state lawmakers know how voting motorcycle riders feel about a mandatory helmet law for adults.  So far, we still have the right to decide.

I don't need anyone or any law to protect me from myself.

Again, just my opinion ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »

Here ya go! This was fun then. Why not bring it back! Let the debate begin again! ::)

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10986.msg172619#msg172619

:vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 02:51:54 PM »

DIDNT MEAN TOO STIR THINGS UP.. BUT I THOUGHT THAT THE GUYS THAT LIVE IN NC SHOULD KNOW THE LAW..I USED THE DOT HELMET  WHILE I WAS RIDING ACROSS THE STATE AND UP IN VIR.
HERES WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE HELMET.
1. MAYBE THE COPS WILL LEAVE ME ALONE
2. IT DIDNT LOOK LIKE A BOWLING BALL ON MY HEAD.
3. AND IT FELT SAFER
4. NO PROBLEM SEEING

HERES WHAT I HATED ABOUT THE HELMET
1. MY NECK HURT AFTER RIDING ALL DAY
2. HELMET ITCH
3. MY GIRLFRIENDS DOT HELMET KEPT BUMPING INTO MINE WHILE RIDING
4. COULDNT  WEAR MY HD HAT WHILE RIDING
5. IT COST MONEY

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »

DIDNT MEAN TOO STIR THINGS UP..

harleync,
I don't think you stirred anything up, it is just that I really get irritated when the government implements laws that are designed to protect us from ourselves.  My guess is that about 99% of the senators and representatives that write these laws do not ride (and I would guess that the majority of those lawmakers really don't like motorcycles at all).

Motorcyclists are growing in numbers daily.  And, I would guess that the average motorcyclists is becoming more and more affluent.  If we would stop being so lazy and communicate with our senators and representatives (both state & federal), then they would know how the folks that vote for them feel about issues.  And if they don't legislate the way you think they should, then vote them out when they run for re-election.  The American voters need to wake up and realize what some politicians are doing and stop re-electing some of these jokers.

Ok, maybe I did get a little stirred-up :nixweiss:

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 12:02:54 AM »

I hung up my novelty helmet. Just getting older and the need to "feel" like I'm safer. Here in Oregon, as long as it has a hard outer shell, has a strap, insulation and a "DOT" sticker, cops "can't" stop you for unlawful helmet. You can actually put on a regular bucket with foam inside w/strap including a "DOT" firmly stuck on the back and you've guessed it. . can't stop ya.

But, with that being said, everyone should be able to have a "choice". I have several helmets, depending on weather, temp and type of riding I'm doing decides which helmet I wear. I've got half shell, 3/4 shell and full face. I wear a helmet like a wear leather. Do I believe it will safe my life...NO! But, might keep my skin on and reduce injury in a minor wreck. Major wreck....need to talk to your God. Simple Huh....
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »

Thirty years ago I could argue the case against mandatory helmet laws with the best of them, citing everything from freedom of choice to restricted vision/hearing to neck injuries due to the whiplash effect.  Of course, back then I could also argue against mandatory seat belt laws and any other form of government "intrusion" into my personal choices (I guess I just liked to argue).  Then an amazing thing happened over the following 30 years.  I grew up, gained maturity, experience, and responsibilities, and finally realized how many serious injuries and/or fatalities had been prevented by those same laws I had once considered to be a violation of my personal freedoms.  It's amazing how your perspective changes over time, especially after one of those hated laws saves your own life or the life of a loved one.

I do have one suggestion for the legislators when they address the helmet issue.  If freedom of choice is a major stumbling block, then just add a requirement that anyone who chooses to not wear a certified helmet has to post a bond of sufficient size to provide the medical care they may need after an incident.  All to often the taxpayers and the people paying insurance premiums wind up footing the bills to support "victims", all because wearing helmets or seat belts wasn't "cool".  I say if looking cool or thumbing your nose at the man is more important to you than your health, you should be forced to be responsible for the consequences.  Of course, with the cost of round the clock care nowdays, a few hundred bucks for a good helmet will probably look a lot better than coming up with a $1M+ bond.  But freedom of choice would be preserved. 

BTW - if you really think being a drooling imbecile for the next 20 to 40 years doesn't affect anyone but yourself, you have already lost too much brain function to be allowed out on your own anyway.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »

Thirty years ago I could argue the case against mandatory helmet laws with the best of them, citing everything from freedom of choice to restricted vision/hearing to neck injuries due to the whiplash effect.  Of course, back then I could also argue against mandatory seat belt laws and any other form of government "intrusion" into my personal choices (I guess I just liked to argue).  Then an amazing thing happened over the following 30 years.  I grew up, gained maturity, experience, and responsibilities, and finally realized how many serious injuries and/or fatalities had been prevented by those same laws I had once considered to be a violation of my personal freedoms.  It's amazing how your perspective changes over time, especially after one of those hated laws saves your own life or the life of a loved one.

I do have one suggestion for the legislators when they address the helmet issue.  If freedom of choice is a major stumbling block, then just add a requirement that anyone who chooses to not wear a certified helmet has to post a bond of sufficient size to provide the medical care they may need after an incident.  All to often the taxpayers and the people paying insurance premiums wind up footing the bills to support "victims", all because wearing helmets or seat belts wasn't "cool".  I say if looking cool or thumbing your nose at the man is more important to you than your health, you should be forced to be responsible for the consequences.  Of course, with the cost of round the clock care nowdays, a few hundred bucks for a good helmet will probably look a lot better than coming up with a $1M+ bond.  But freedom of choice would be preserved. 

BTW - if you really think being a drooling imbecile for the next 20 to 40 years doesn't affect anyone but yourself, you have already lost too much brain function to be allowed out on your own anyway.

JMHO - Jerry

Can't to totally agree here Jerry. Do we start outlawing every constitutional right we have, and let the legislators make all our decisions for us? Why not outlaw motorcycles completely. After, they're potentially dangerous with or without a helmet. How about convertibles? How about guns. How about booze and cigarettes. Fast cars, too dangerous. Football, hockey, rugby-all dangerous. Flying, parachuting and bungy jumping-all dangerous. When do we stop? We are founded on freedom. Personal freedom and freedom of choices.

We pay for insurance and some never need it. Some need to use exorbitant amounts. Bonds for making a choice in one area? Sounds discriminatory to me. Why not put a value on everything we do and tax people for everything that someone else deems dangerous? FL law requires you to have health insurance to ride helmetless so the taxpayers don't foot the bill. Fair enough. But other people legislating our personal freedom of choice is not the answer.

The ramifications and results of your decisions, based on maturity and responsibility, should be enough. Requirement of health insurance should be enough for those that choose to ride this way. But unless we throw out the constitution and legislate against EVERYTHING DANGEROUS, as deemed so by others, deems helmet laws discriminatory! JMO.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry, that's a side of this question that has been brought up here before.  And has ususally gotten a tepid response.

Someone wrote once that governments didn't have the "right" to legislate whether we wore helmets or not.  That was one of the dumber things that had been put in print.  Short of major Constitutional violations government has whatever rights or privileges it decides it has.  The same discussion said we had a "right" to ride without our lids.  Almost equally as ill thought.

Riding at all, or driving, is a privilege not a right.  We don't have to be let on the highways.  Governments can control how we use them.

All that begs the question of should we be allowed to ride without helmets if we so choose, why, and at what cost.  Whether we admit it or not there are a couple of things that go a long way toward dictating the answers.  As a general rule we're not a large enough pain in the ass/cost to make legislating against us more necessary and there aren't enough of us to make the costs of carrying us on the system burdensome.  Either of those change, at anywhere from the municipal to the Federal level, and watch out though.

The highways are made for cages.  That's obvious.  To be safer for us certain things would be built differently.  That's ok though.  The national economy is carried on the back of the highway system.  The road system should be built for cars and truck and cartage.  That we get the benefit of using it and having it for our enjoyment is icing on the cake.  That we have to be diligent and take care of our own safety is a perfectly fair "cost" or trade off for being allowed on the great system.

As far as helmets go, their use to be allowed on the system is varied.  We know that.  Where some locality says "go ahead" that's fine.  Ride without.  Where another says helmet required, however, I personally wish we could just wear the damn things on.  Ride and quit the incessant and often ill conceived bitching.  We rarely look less than selfish in that debate; and a little childish.  Worse is that it draws attention to us we do not need.

We are best served by governments when we're basically not noticed.  Notice us more we'll be regulated more.  Guaranteed.  Also, all the talk about "freedom of choice" and wind in our hair(s) and everything else notwithstanding, the helmet debate for legislators is one of cost.  Highway use legislation and guidelines are always cost/safety.

It does cost society more for every helmet free mile ridden than every helmet worn mile ridden.  It really does.  Because the costs of health care after head injury are significantly greater.  Someone might choose to belabor that point.  But they'd look stubborn and uninformed in doing so rather than as someone trying to intelligently make their case.  So we're left alone, in the areas we are left alone, because we don't cost enough more for it to make a societal difference.

As much as we all like to kvetch and piss and moan on this it really is a topic where we're best served by just riding well, riding safe, and shutting the hell up to be left alone riding under the radar.  The more attention brought to us the worse off we'll be.  If some legislature does decide to impose a helmet requirement so what?  Someone would rather not ride?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »

Jerry;

I disagree on lots of levels.

JMHO - Jim

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »

I completely agree with those that have matured and gained wisdom with age. I too felt it was an invasion of privacy years ago but with the march of time comes some wisdom. Even with that said I am thankful I reside in a state that has and enforces mandatory helmet laws, it is a pity all this age and wisdom didn't accompany any selfcontrol. I am one of those that need the government to protect me from myself. ;)
Just recently in Hot Springs the left and right side of my brain got in a hell of fight over exactly this, luckily the left side won most of the time. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.