Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: California Motorcycle Smog Check Bill - This sucks!!!  (Read 9191 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: California Motorcycle Smog Check Bill - This sucks!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »

WHOA Hey now lets slow this train down! All the sudden the wives are all gettin' new shoes and purses, next thing you know they will be after cars and jewelry! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

What makes you think that hasn't happened already?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »

Mine did not want shoes, mine did not want clothes, mine did not want jewlery, mine did not want a car.

She wanted a 2009 Heritage.....and she got it
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

Here's some info from today that has some good news.  I can't vouch for it but if it's true it is better than it could have been.  

California Drops Motorcycle Smog Check Proposal

by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 6/1/2009

in Motorcycle Laws and Regulations

A few months ago, California State Senator Fran Pavley introduced legislation which would have required smog checks for all motorcycles of model year 2000 or newer, beginning in 2012. The proposal has been amended to authorize police officers to fine bikers who have removed catalytic converters but the smog test provision has been dropped after the senate objected. The senate approved the amended bill which now goes to the state assembly. If it passes there, the governor’s signature is all that’s needed.

Here's the link:  Kneeslider

Now they've got me scatchin' my head again.  Wonder how that fine officer of the law is going to determine the catalytic converter is missing?  Do you suppose there is anyone in the legislature that is aware the cats on bikes aren't like the ones on cars?  As in, many/most cats on bikes are built into the head pipes or the actual mufflers, and aren't a separate and easily identifiable part.  On a '09 SEUC or SERG, for instance, even a non-stock muffler won't tell the officer that the cat has been removed.  For that determination, he will need to bring his tools and risk burning his fingers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »

With the slightest bit of training, they'll know how to tell.  Just carry a coat hanger, or a slim jim to push up the pipe.  They'll know. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »

:-X :-X :-X

Yes it is easy to know on the touring bikes if the cat has been removed.  What about all the aftermarket pipes?

Do they come in Cat versions or is this going to mean that all HD in Ca willhave HD pipes to meet the new law?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »

:-X :-X :-X

Yes it is easy to know on the touring bikes if the cat has been removed.  What about all the aftermarket pipes?

Do they come in Cat versions or is this going to mean that all HD in Ca willhave HD pipes to meet the new law?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

They just do a quick visual to make sure everything is looken stock. So the easy stuff for them would be air cleaners, pipes, canesters. As the testing evolves they can pick up tuners, cams...with the exhaust analyser. Doc

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »

Dear Mr. Olgin:

«Salutation»

Thank you for your comments regarding your opposition to Senate Bill 435, which requires the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to incorporate Class III motorcycles from the 2000 model-year or newer into the smog check program.  I appreciate it when constituents, like you, take the opportunity to share their concerns with me.  You will be pleased to know I opposed this bill when it came before me in the Senate on June 1, 2009.  Unfortunately, SB 435 passed the Senate on a 22 to 17 vote and is now in the Assembly. 

California's efforts to decrease vehicular emissions as well as promoting alternative, greener transportation options are important to me.  However, I agree with your concerns that this bill fails to address the larger problem of our state's emission pollution since motorcycles contribute less than 1.5 percent of all the mobile emission pollution despite representing approximately 3 percent of the statewide number of vehicles. 

SB 435 mandates the smog check program on the newest motorcycles in California.  These bikes are the only ones in the state equipped with catalytic converters and are typically the cleanest burning bikes on the road.  Moreover, imposing the smog check program on such a small fraction of overall emissions will have a negligible impact on the problem with an unintended consequence of significant costs toward motorcycle owners and the state.  Taxpayer monies would be needed to accommodate state agencies for administration costs, altering the vehicle registration process to track motorcycles, and funding the cost of repairs or retirement for eligible motorcycles that failed the inspection.

Thank you, again, for your comments.  It is citizens like you who make the difference.  If you have any other questions or concerns on this or any other state issue, please don't hesitate to contact me at (805) 494-8808.

As always, it is an honor to represent you in the State Senate.

Sincerely,

S

Tony Strickland

Senator, 19th District

"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:22 AM »

Nice to know he voted against it.

I get the impression this bill isn't about pollution.  It's just a back door way of cracking down on mc noise. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »

With the slightest bit of training, they'll know how to tell.  Just carry a coat hanger, or a slim jim to push up the pipe.  They'll know. 

I don't think it'll be quite that easy.  I'm inclined to think it'll end up more like the novelty beanie helmet.  There were several municipalaties and the CHP that were a little over zealous with handing out tickets that members of ABATE and BOLT sued them and got injunctions against them.  That's why law enforcement has backed away from giving tickets for illegal helmets. 

I think the cat issue will be about the same.  Some will get tickets (so called fix-it tickets), take the bike home, change what they need to to get it signed off, then put the mods back on again.  Others will simply comply up front by leaving everything stock.  While yet others will tie law enforcement up in court for years with it.....eventually getting their injunctions. :nixweiss:

I also think the after market mfgs. will start making exhaust systems, etc. that have the cats in them but still perform better than stock.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

I'm debating taking out my cat (or going with a 49 state headpipe).  I have a TTS, and will re-tune if I do.  What (besides more noise) do you think I'll gain?  1-2 hp/tq?  Is it worth it?  Would it improve my mileage?  Move the tq curve out (less backpressure)?

Looking for real world experience from anyone who has done this.  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:24:22 AM by PR3VS56 »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

:drink: :drink:

On my 09 SE Ultra, just removing the Cat increased the noise a small amount (it has slip on Rineharts before and after).  I definitely noticed an increase in the low end power.

I installed the Stage I AC and the PC V with auotune and the gas mileage went up not down.  I believe you will notice the difference immediately.  I assume you have a Stage one AC with the TTS.

And the bike runs cooler.  A plus in SOuth Texas where today it is suppose to get to 98 and 90% humidity.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »

I assume you have a Stage one AC with the TTS.

Yes, Doherty Power Pac + the 2" Fullsacs. 

Thanks for the feedback.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »

According to Biker & Motorcycle Lawyer Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. and published in the "Biker Law Blog:" 

http://www.bikerlawblog.com/index.php/biker-laws/california+sb+435:

"** 6/2/09 Update: California State Senator Fran Pavley a few months ago made herself motorcycle public enemy number one in California after she introduced legislation that would have required smog checks for all motorcycles of model year 2000 or newer. The bill proposed to start enforcing the measure in 2012, but that has now been changed.

The proposal has been amended to authorize police officers to fine bikers who have removed catalytic converters, instead of requiring the emissions testing. The senate approved the amended bill which now goes to the state assembly. If it passes there, the Governors signature is all that will be needed to make it law.."

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »

Liberal.  Figures.

On the left, the author of the legislation.  Draw your own conclusions:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:27:21 PM by PR3VS56 »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

Back to buying up all the 99's I can find for yall... ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.