Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle trailer 101 - requesting some experienced advice  (Read 8897 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Motorcycle trailer 101 - requesting some experienced advice
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »

Beautiful trailer!

Your going to love it.

Here's a thread on mine.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19111.0

As far as renting it out, nope, not me, never happen.

My experience tells me when you rent something out the renter feels that since they are paying for it they can abuse it.

Now I have friends that I would let borrow mine but with the only stipulation that it's returned in as good of condition as borrowed to start with!

Again, Congrats on your trailer.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »

SBB - great story on your trailer. I thought when I saw the photo that it looked like a 14' and not a 12'. I'm sure you were happy when you found out you got a free upgrade!

Found these on ebay - thinking about the eagles for the sides and the logo for the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220421930624&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_3092wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370246600399&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_1963wt_906

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »

Great score, great trailer.  I went the other way with mine as far as advertising its contents, no stickers, nothing, even peeled off the Haulmark logos..

Watch tire pressure very closely or you can end up with new fenders whne the tire peels off, dont ask me how I know this...
The only weak point I had with my haulmark was crummy tires...Any excuse you get to change the oems to Carlisles do it...

Brake controllers operation will vary based on load...load the trailer , head down the stree and apply the brakes, bumpo the controller unitl you feel the trailer pull a little tiny bit, then back it off a bump or two,should do it but it is variable between all vehicles and trailers, controllers.. Carry a nice bottle jack in the trailer with a mounted spare tire and chocks too.

I would also look for rope light for lighting.  The led's nowadays throw good light at low wattage in case you are on battery power alone.

Good luck!
You can ring the inside for good lighting with the white wall.  I so far have them in my gun safe but not in the trailer..

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »

If I can jump in with a couple of questions...What is the recommended trailer maintenance?

I have a 8.5x14 v-nose Thule aluminum, tandem axle, electric brakes with Torsion suspension.  The inside is nothing special like the ones pictured but I did double the thickness of the floor added 8 strong D-ring tie downs and two condor chocks and one Pingle with E-track up in the V-nose.  I also have E-track on the walls. 

I WILL paint the walls white as suggested to brighten up the unit and the LED rope lights are a good idea.  The floor is still Plywood but maybe I will get that self applied bedliner for it.

I keep dialectric grease on the connector, and air in the tires but beyond that, it sits for long periods of time as a storage shed...

I have corrosion on the hitch and chains caused by dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel) that I spray with WD-40 occasionaly.  Is there anything I can do about this?

/Bill

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »

How do you accurately measure tongue weight?

Not to be funny but with a scale.
You normally want 10% of the total weight on the tongue, not to exceed the hitch rating.
I used a heavy duty industrial scale to sent up the balance.
Most household scales don't go high enough in weight.
The best way I have found is to load up, drive around a  little bit and adjust till it feels right. This doesn't take as long as it sounds.
You should do this even after weighing the tongue.
Good Luck!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »

I dunno Bill, mine have rusted only so far but I do the same, a spray of wd or something.
I like a clear gun oil.

Wheel bearing may need grease annually if they are not the sealed type and use is high...nothing unusual, penetrating oils on hinges, I use a silicone grease on the rubber door seals every year or so , if I remember to...The torsion suspension really doesn't require much.

Can you jack it up in the shed to get the laden weight off the tires? if you can even if you cannot spin them just unload them it will help with tire life.

hogasm

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »

How do you accurately measure tongue weight?

Not to be funny but with a scale.
You normally want 10% of the total weight on the tongue, not to exceed the hitch rating.
I used a heavy duty industrial scale to sent up the balance.
Most household scales don't go high enough in weight.
The best way I have found is to load up, drive around a  little bit and adjust till it feels right. This doesn't take as long as it sounds.
You should do this even after weighing the tongue.
Good Luck!
Mike
 :drink:

Any weigh station can tell you what your tongue weight is.

They can tell you how much weight is on each axle. Which is nice to know

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

Tandem axle trailers...please check your lugnuts are tight.  Right Tony!!

I sold my toyhauler but I would never go back to tie downs if I get another trailer.  Just read back through here and see how many references to checking your bike at stops, wheel chocks etc....

I don't have one yet, but I will if I ever plan on hauling my bike.

www.framelock.com/

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »

thank you
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.