Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: HELP! Goldwing Bragging over Harley, Any more AMMO to shut them up?  (Read 24846 times)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member

Help for Downunder Harley Fan, Owner of 7 so far and 8th coming, battling the Goldwing enthusiasts..  HELP WITH SOME AMMO, BROTHERS...

They rag on that it is faster, made in America, more reliable, and has more luxury and features than even the CVO, and for less money...  They rag on HD that it is half Japanese to, even nippondenso starter, blah blah...

I defend HD, saying Honda has no soul, no heritage of taking over for horses, and HD has that great sound we all thrive on...  I tell them:  "Honda is a convertible car missing two wheels and the doors".....  Heh he...

They argue against the sound, saying they could make it louder but they like the quiet run, I argue "Loud Pipes Save Lives"...  Running out of ammo now....

Now I have some American Heritage in my blood, I feel loyalty to the first and biggest, HD..  But they are British Heritage for the most part, and do not give a whit about HD being American, if anything it mean unrealiable to them..   Looking at their practical side, comfort and speed, total reliability, and the advice of the Professional Bikers and Motorcycle Instructors, I kind of lose the arguments as they say the Honda is smoother, faster, more comfortable, more luxury, more reliable, and even costs less money.  For a pure Touring Bike they have a strong point, not for me, but they win for most...

Brothers in America, any more AMMO to pass my way?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:19:26 PM by Cowboy2 »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: HELP! Goldwing Bragging over Harley, Any more AMMO to shut them up?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

Don't bother defending Harley. Just ride yours and enjoy them. They're only trying to get a rise out of you. We all know why we ride Harleys. Not saying that Gold Wings blow, just that if I can only have one, it will be HD.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »

Spent some time on my buddies GW. In alot of ways they are right, However, It AIN'T A HARLEY. Something just didn't inspire me. I'll stick to HD they can ride whatever they want, I'll even ride with em. Not a problem  :2vrolijk_21:

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »

Well I do ride with them....  And you are right...  It is just that the HD has a Soul to it, the big V-Twin sound, a cultural Heritage...

But on practical matters they win..  They sit at breakfast wanting to know about my new Tourer coming in winter, and I mention I will be looking forward to the heated grips and seat as it arrives in the dead of winter (our winter is July)...  And their back handed comment is that: "It is nice to see the technology of HD is finally catching up with the Goldwing..."    Grrrrrrrrrrr....

To whit I say: "But it is a Honda... There were HD Tourers around before Honda was in existence..."  Anyway, hoping for some better ammo, angles...   :beerchug:  Don't know if you catch it over there with the big Honda Tourers..  They clain there is getting to be more Goldwing Tourers than HD Tourers...

I am sure it is just to get a rise out of me, guess what, it works..  :furious3:     :xyxthumbs:

Help !

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »

I agree with Buy early,
Trying to defend a bike decision is a no win situation. Too many variables and in the long run hurt all riders by creating division.
Like some riders won't wave or talk to someone if they aren't on the "right brand" of bike etc.
FYI the Goldwing is now made in Japan not the US.
I think we need to accept that each brand has some good points and each one has bad points. After all they all have service departments and warranties.
To me the issue boils down to the question "Why do you ride?" some do it for dependable transportation and others out of memories of the past,image, or how it moves their soul.
The emotional reasons are the ones that can't be rationalized away. And to a rational thinker the economics make their decision for them and they will not get the emotional aspects.

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »

I had a GW for a sort time (one month)  But I'm sorry this 2011CVO will beat that GW hands down,
I enjoy the ride of the HD Way over the GW, The HD is alot essayer to keep Service, It don't mater what you Ride They will still stare at the HD over the GW,  and Most people including the Girls Like the Sound and the ride of the HD.

If those GW's would ever man up and get a HD they would never go back;
Not sure if that sound Right
Keep the Chrome on the Shinny side
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »

I had a GW for a sort time (one month)  But I'm sorry this 2011CVO will beat that GW hands down,

If those GW's would ever man up and get a HD they would never go back;

Ha! Ha! NOW THAT IS GOOD AMMO coming from a prior GW owner... heh he...   :2vrolijk_21:  I am still chuckling... good one.. great joke. :coolblue:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »

The experience of riding both are different and the Harley sound and experience in my opinion is much better.

The Harley is certainly not more refined, but neither were Jaguar XKE's, Shelby Cobra's or Rolls Royce.
They were more art than technology and you can customize Harley's to make it yours.

Customize Honda's, I do not think so unless you consider adding more Generic "plastic" chrome.
Tuning? No
sound? that is the biggest joke......

Honda's are a great "appliance" and really are reliable transportation, but will never receive that appeal that Harley has (deserved or not)

I have owned and ridden both and will not go back to a Honda.

It is like arguing the point whether a  picture or a painting is better.
Picture more accurate, more information,
but a painting is emotion, feeling and so much more than a picture.

I have had this argument with a friend that is a Honda salesman.
He cannot get his head around the idea why would you chose a product that seems to lose on every technical point.
I then explain to him that is his problem, not mine.
It drives him crazy.

bottom line

The best argument is........that it is not a Harley.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »

$.02:  Honda makes a great product but I agree with statement above, it has no soul.  There is simply no comparison to the Harley experince.  I have found that no matter where I go on the bike people want to talk to me.  I suspect we have all had the same experience. So many times when I have stopped someone walks up and tell me how bad they would like to have one.  People call out to me at stop lights exclaiming, "what a beautiful bike."   To say the least that makes me feel lucky and grateful.  Call it a fraternity or a brotherhood, when you are on a Harley you are in.  There is nothing on earth like the Harley experience.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:47:19 AM »

personally I wouldn't step in that sort of argument  ;)

But if that's the sort of ammo you are looking for: the last GoldWing made in USA was produced somewhen mid of 2009 - it took Honda till today to sell it  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:51 AM »

All their points are true.  For that matter same goes for my old 1984 Venture royale...but... My SERG has a soul, it connects to me, and everywhere I go people want to see it... never happened on my Japanese bikes.

The GW is an excellent motorcycle... just not for me
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

I don't argue with Honda owner's, since I tend to agree with most of their points.  They have much better engineering, quality, and reliability on their side; Harley has "soul" and "style".  If I decided to set out on a cross country ride through desolate territory, guess which characteristics I'd prefer?  Maybe the answer is to own one of each, a Honda for serious riding and a Harley for posing at the various watering holes and events. :nixweiss:

This is one of those arguments that serves no useful purpose.  Best way to shut them up is to refuse to play the game. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »

This is one of those arguments that serves no useful purpose.  Best way to shut them up is to refuse to play the game. 

Jerry

Thank you Jerry!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »

It's still fun banter........

You won't see this on a Goldwing

I'd rather ride steel to a HOG rally than plastic to a wing ding.

They stop for ice cream, Harley riders stop for cheeseburgers and beer.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

Simple answer... "If you have to explain, they wouldn't understand."
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.