Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Blasphemy - Gold Wing Thoughts  (Read 5671 times)

DOOFUS

Blasphemy - Gold Wing Thoughts
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »

I'm going to call in fire on my own position. Wife and I just finished a Sunday morning chat about "positive" things once the new job starts.

She agreed that getting back on a bike is critical. (As the man once said, "It's cheaper than drugs, booze and strippers")

So she brings up the new 2012 Gold Wing because she saw one.

I said:

1.  I've had 2 and they are reliable, smooth and out of the box powerful.

2.  I did 2 IBA rides on my Wings and it was a pleasure.

3.  I loved the fact they were made in Ohio.

4.  But they ain't made in Ohio anymore.

She said:

1.  Yeah but -- I'm more comfortable on a Gold Wing.

Jeez.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Blasphemy - Gold Wing Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »

Objectively, I don't think anybody that knows bikes would disagree that from a functional standpoint, a GW has got to be at the top of the heap for touring bikes.  Reliable, fast, good handling, good brakes, and all the goodies that make a touring bike great.  Perhaps even more comfortable for the BSR.  Just get on it and ride.  I just can't get past the looks...they don't look bad, they just don't have any personality.  I think Honda missed an opportunity on the 2012 models...they made them uglier than the 2011's, IMO.  I think they will do some major revisions in 2013 or 2014.  If I were venturing away from a Harley, I'd probably take a real serious look at the new BMW 1600...that is an awesome bike, from all reports.

If a person is buying a touring bike strictly based on function over form, and reliability, HD would probably not be in the running.  But, there's a million reasons folks continue to buy HD, most of them emotional in nature, so it's really about how you feel about the bike, IMO.  If everybody just wanted good, reliable transportation from point A to point B, we'd all be driving something like a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, etc.

You can certainly get a lot more bike for the buck with a Wing or BMW, from a practical point of view, especially when you compare them to a CVO touring bike.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:11:24 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dadof2

• MS
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

I was surprised when I saw this topic. It's ironic cause I test drove one yesterday. I guess I'm one of the few that actually like the looks. I just never could get past the fact that "it's not a Harley"
I was blown away with the GW. It is a fine machine. I was impressed with every aspect of this bike. The only touring bikes I have ever ridden were Ultras, 2 of which were CVO. For two up riding there is really no comparison in my opinion. I only rode it about 50 miles,but it didn't take long to see all this bike has to offer.
A few years ago I would not have thought or believed that, or cared. But I'm open to something more comfortable for longer trips. The wife even liked it. Said it was a lot smoother.
I'm probably going to add one to my garage. When your a Harley guy like I have been for years, it's a tough decision, but I think I'm ready.
I will be keeping the CVO but am excited about possibly getting a Gold Wing.   

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »

I agree with TC....If just getting from point A to point B then the Honda is OK....but it's got no personality or "soul". They are all kind of vanilla.....You don't stop and look at one and say look what they did there or cool mod...maybe you do only I never looked :nixweiss: I also agree if I were in the market for a non Harley tourer, I'd be looking BMW....

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »

Objectively, I don't think anybody that knows bikes would disagree that from a functional standpoint, a GW has got to be at the top of the heap for touring bikes.  Reliable, fast, good handling, good brakes, and all the goodies that make a touring bike great.  Perhaps even more comfortable for the BSR.  Just get on it and ride.  I just can't get past the looks...they don't look bad, they just don't have any personality.  I think Honda missed an opportunity on the 2012 models...they made them uglier than the 2011's, IMO.  I think they will do some major revisions in 2013 or 2014.  If I were venturing away from a Harley, I'd probably take a real serious look at the new BMW 1600...that is an awesome bike, from all reports.

If a person is buying a touring bike strictly based on function over form, and reliability, HD would probably not be in the running.  But, there's a million reasons folks continue to buy HD, most of them emotional in nature, so it's really about how you feel about the bike, IMO.  If everybody just wanted good, reliable transportation from point A to point B, we'd all be driving something like a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, etc.

You can certainly get a lot more bike for the buck with a Wing or BMW, from a practical point of view, especially when you compare them to a CVO touring bike.

TCnBham

Very well said.  I rode the metrics for several years including two GW's and I enjoyed everyone of them.  The biggest change I saw when I made the switch to HD was the dealerships and fellow riders.  The HD personnel who I have dealt with seemed more mature and were experienced riders.  The metric guys were young and wanted to talk about speed and crotch rockets.  Also the HOG members I ride with are an awesome group of people.  And, you can't ask for a better bunch of folk than on this site who continually help their fellow CVO riders, be it recommending improvements, fixes, or spending their money.  My advanced age and physical capabilities dictates that I will be on a trike in a few years and it will be a HD.

Dave
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »

Ya you know I had to reply. Last time I rode a 1800 Wing was in 2003 and I couldn't believe the difference an additional 300 cc's and fuel injection versus my 1996 GL1500SE could make. After putting new tires, dyna beads, super brace and progressive springs on last year, the old 1500 rides better than ever before. I was still hoping for a GL2000 with a 6th gear but all they did was some minor cosmetic mods which is a no go in my book. If they do that then I'll reconsider but until then I'll hang on to my long ago paid off Wing with 23,000 miles on the clock. Sure it's a soul less appliance and very little mods available other than additional plastic but for a comfortable 2 up machine that will take you 800 miles a day without batting an eye, it's very hard to beat. I just wanted a classic machine that fills the soul but if she lets me down I sure am gonna be disappointed and will reconsider my options. The Harley draws you in to become part of it and enjoy the ride while the other one is smooth and comfortable allowing long days in the saddle but it's just not the same. Hard to explain I guess. Both do the same job, one in style the other in functionality. I was gonna check my Wing on the dyno back in 97 at Daytona Bike week. Asked the operator about running it on the rollers and he said don't waste your time, it's got 90 rwhp and 90lbft. According to magazine articles the new ones have 98 rwhp and 105 lbft but they handle like a sports bike without the minor flex my older steel frame bike has.

Not sure where they came up with 99hp and 111 lbft...probably off the engine. Seems about right after running it through a shaftdrive.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersguide/Honda-GoldWing-GL1500-GL1500I-GWInterstate-GL1500SE-GL1500A-Aspencade.htm

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:20:03 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »

You need to check out the "Hitler wants a Harley for Sturgis" topic on this thread.
Jesus is Lord

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:09 AM »

I'll have to check it out after work and see if it's one I've seen before. I know I've seen it in different formats to fit Honda, Yamaha, BMW and others. Good way to make the scene fit lots of stuff.
2007 Softail Custom

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »

I've also had a Wing, amazing bike.  Nope not made in America anymore, wonder if it (still) has more American parts on it than our Harleys do?  Can't beat the ride, power, protection from the wind and rain, and out of the box road ready.   Why am I not riding another one now......  not sure, guess for the moment I just like my Harleys better.   I do know one thing for sure ~ ride on gravel roads much and any belt drive bike will let you down. 

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:32 AM »

I rode GW's a number of years before comming over to the "Dark-Side" as my GW buddies liked to say.  For well over a year I had both the 1800 & a '04 SEEG but every time I went to ride the HD was my choice!  After more than a year of not ridding the Wing (which I feel is a great bike) I sold it - my best explanation is that I just enjoyed ridding the Harley more, it was more fun to ride, has more personality, a little rough around the edges which is what I felt A bike should be, etc.  Also, the HD riders I rode with were also enjoyable, I liked being around them felt more of a kin-ship & more in common.  Not saying anything negative about the Wing riders but they are a very different group typicall from HD types!

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:20 AM »

I rode GW's a number of years before comming over to the "Dark-Side" as my GW buddies liked to say.  For well over a year I had both the 1800 & a '04 SEEG but every time I went to ride the HD was my choice!  After more than a year of not ridding the Wing (which I feel is a great bike) I sold it - my best explanation is that I just enjoyed ridding the Harley more, it was more fun to ride, has more personality, a little rough around the edges which is what I felt A bike should be, etc.  Also, the HD riders I rode with were also enjoyable, I liked being around them felt more of a kin-ship & more in common.  Not saying anything negative about the Wing riders but they are a very different group typicall from HD types!

I agree about the people... very different crowds, the HD folks are more fun for sure. Don't see many Harleys at Dairy Queen.......

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »

a one word response

BORING   -  when you can fall asleep on a bike,  it's not for me.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »

I have both:  08 SEUC and, now, a 10 GW.  The GW was just too good a deal to pass up and figured I could make a few $$$ on it.  So far, I have not decided to sell it.

I keep thinking I will buy a new SEUC or SERG, but the past few years have not excited me.  I will probably look a little more seriously when the 2013's hit the street, since my 08 will be out of warranty next summer.

The GW is a different ride... feels like a sport bike compared to the SEUC.  The power is unbelievable.  It is a bigger bike than the SEUC, so it does ride better.  There is more seat room, which is good on a long trip.

I agree with the comment about Honda missing a chance with the 2012's.  I too think Honda took an ugly bike and made it uglier in 2012.  And, the GW very much needs a 6th gear.  Someone above called the GW an "appliance"... I think that is a very good description.  A GW is just a bike... nothing special or sexy, just a motorcycle.

My wife tells everyone that she HATES the GW, but when we get ready to take a long trip (200 - 1200 miles), she now says, "Let's just take the Goldwing this time"  :nixweiss:

I will probably hang on the the 10 GW for awhile... it is good to have a second bike to ride while the SEUC is in the shop.  If Honda ever does a cosmetic make-over on the GW and gives it the 6-speed, I might have to think about it... just sayin.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »

I think if they did something with the rear end of the GW, it would be an improvement in overall looks.  From the back, it looks like a VW or something.  And they for sure need a 6 speed gearbox...I'm really surprised that they have done done that by now.  The Sport bike comparison is a good one...the bike feels much lighter than it is.  Traxxion Dynamics has an older 'Wing at their shop...I don't know what year, but probably an '05 or so...they do a LOT of suspension mods on GW's, putting the AK-20's in the front forks, a brace they make for the forks, and modding the rear shock.  They pretty much have it down pat on the GW's...that bike's handling is AMAZING, as is the ride quality.

GW's are a lot of bike for the money.

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »

I will probably hang on the the 10 GW for awhile... it is good to have a second bike to ride while the SEUC is in the shop.  If Honda ever does a cosmetic make-over on the GW and gives it the 6-speed, I might have to think about it... just sayin.

There, IMHO, is the real difference.  Reliability and function trumps "style" every time in my book, and for those who can only swing having one bike it's a dilemma.  Go with the proven reliability, power, handling, and comfort of the Honda "appliance", or take your chances with the stylish but not so reliable Harley?  I guess the answer is for everyone to own both.  As soon as they cut the prices to less than what a decently equipped midsize car goes for these days, maybe more of us could do that.  All I know is, if I were planning to ride across a desolate desert without a fully equipped chase truck, I'd be much more confident doing it on a Honda than a Harley. 

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »

Agreed plus they have the ability to keep George Jetson mobile.  ;D  Wonder if they'll ever do a V-6 and narrow the profile. Could affect the balance I guess. When I went from a GL1200 flat 4 to the GL1500 it was like switching to an electric motor as far as smoothness is concerned. Maybe it's just too much finess and why  it doesn't have any character. It does allow you to check out your tunes and scenery I guess. Plus they can pull some big a$$ bike trailers...more so the 1800. Not ready for a trike yet but I reckon I could consider that option.
2007 Softail Custom

DOOFUS

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »

So true.  Well said. 

There, IMHO, is the real difference.  Reliability and function trumps "style" every time in my book, and for those who can only swing having one bike it's a dilemma.  Go with the proven reliability, power, handling, and comfort of the Honda "appliance", or take your chances with the stylish but not so reliable Harley?  I guess the answer is for everyone to own both.  As soon as they cut the prices to less than what a decently equipped midsize car goes for these days, maybe more of us could do that.  All I know is, if I were planning to ride across a desolate desert without a fully equipped chase truck, I'd be much more confident doing it on a Honda than a Harley. 

Jerry ;)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

I agree with TC....If just getting from point A to point B then the Honda is OK....but it's got no personality or "soul". They are all kind of vanilla.....You don't stop and look at one and say look what they did there or cool mod...maybe you do only I never looked :nixweiss: I also agree if I were in the market for a non Harley tourer, I'd be looking BMW....
X2 Me Too!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »

Dear Lord Man...Snap Out Of It!  Get Some ICE WATER On That Face!

;)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »

Good one Jock :huepfenlol2:

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

Is it true that Honda dealers will set you up with a free tattoo with the purchase of one of those plastic monsters?  :huepfenjump3: Just  sayin.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:07:57 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

I was reading the last issue of Cycle World and they compared the GW and BMW 1600 GTL. CW tore the GW apart they seem to think the Beemer is a far superior machine. If I was to stray from the MOCO, id look into the GTL. I'd like to have enough power the scare the bejesus out of me, yet.
Supershooter

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »

I was reading the last issue of Cycle World and they compared the GW and BMW 1600 GTL. CW tore the GW apart they seem to think the Beemer is a far superior machine. If I was to stray from the MOCO, id look into the GTL. I'd like to have enough power the scare the bejesus out of me, yet.
Supershooter
Now read the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News!
The "TAZMUN"

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

BMW 1600 GTL
   :2vrolijk_21:

If only the riding position was different....but can't have everything.  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »

Ya, that was the deal breaker right there. Plenty of Tupperware on both and I was reading some of the BMW rider posts. Seems like both are a PITA to change the air cleaner and other maintenance.
2007 Softail Custom

Half_Crazy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »

Let's say you've been riding solo for a week or two, but your wife is going with you today. You need to put some air in the rear shocks....

On the Goldwing you turn on the key and press 'memory 2' on the fairing... done. Suspension adjustment by pressing a button. That's convenient. Reverse is not something you think about, until you need it. 95 horse to the tire without spending any additional money.

It has certain merit.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

IMO if it has two wheels,get me from point A-B, and it's what I can afford I'll be happy with it. I do love my harley and Buell though.. My buddy wanted speed and reliability. He bought a Kawasaki Concourse.. Loved it @ first,then found it uncomfortable, his girlfriend thought it was cool at first ,now hates it.Guess what he traded it in on?
A Harley Davidson Electra glide !! and he has tons of plans for modifications.. 
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »

Let's say you've been riding solo for a week or two, but your wife is going with you today. You need to put some air in the rear shocks....

On the Goldwing you turn on the key and press 'memory 2' on the fairing... done. Suspension adjustment by pressing a button. That's convenient. Reverse is not something you think about, until you need it. 95 horse to the tire without spending any additional money.

It has certain merit.

Yeh, it was something I expected to see on the Harley. Kinda got used to having that onboard air compresor even it mine doesn't have the memory setting.  Nice to have a reverse once in awhile, just need to remember where to park but I usually back in most of the time anyway. But sometimes it's still handy to have. I put in a high amperage alternator last year and the WIng died about 2 weeks later just before I was returning overseas. Put in a new battery this year, good to go. The gelcell battery took a crap but it was because it sat too long. As long as I'm riding then I'm happy. Probably why I'm such a bag of marbles lately.
2007 Softail Custom

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

Fun! 

It is the Fun factor.

Yea a Cadillac is more comfortable.  But I want the 1967 corvette.. It's more fun.

I ride for fun. 

Do you want the most comfortable transportation you can get in a motorcycle?   

Or do want the one that is the most fun?

Half_Crazy

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »

Fun! It is the Fun factor. Yea a Cadillac is more comfortable.  But I want the 1967 corvette... It's more fun.

I agree. I like riding the 'Wing but I wouldn't want to own it... then again I wouldn't want to own an Ultra either.

If I want to have wind protection, crash protection, heat, a stereo, GPS, and loads of storage space... I'll drive my truck. When on my motorcycle I want the motorcycle experience in spades. Yes, it's windy... Yes, it's loud... Yes, it vibrates... Yes, if it rains I get wet... it's a motorcycle, not a station wagon.

It also needs to excite me. Not just when I'm lookin' at it... but when I'm riding it. It needs to move with authority, it needs to handle, and it needs to stop as well as it goes. The thought of an 800+ pound, 65 horsepower motorcycle excites me about as much as watching paint dry.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:38:14 AM by Half_Crazy »

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »

It also needs to excite me. Not just when I'm lookin' at it... but when I'm RIDING IT. It needs to move with authority, it needs to handle, and it needs to stop as well as it goes. The thought of an 800+ pound, 65 horsepower motorcycle excites me about as much as watching paint dry.

So, why are you even ON this forum?  :oops:  ;D
Spada84
NoSofa!

Half_Crazy

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »

As long as I'm riding then I'm happy. Probably why I'm such a bag of marbles lately.

Oh yeah... The bike was gone for 7 months. Felt like a caged animal.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »

Spada
Some people complain because that's all they know to do.
It's the internet, they think people actually care.
They don't understand that everyone is laughing.
Maybe it's just compensation.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Half_Crazy

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »

I'll be honest, most of the people who should be my peers don't 'get me'. They can't understand why anyone would want an 11 second cruiser/bagger. "Cruisers are for cruising". Well, I guess I didn't get the memo that cruiser/bagger bikes have to be slow and cumbersome.

I started reading the CVO forums and the V-Twin forums... low and behold I see guys who sold their engines on ebay and installed R&R 131", S&S 124", or SE 120R motors. I thought maybe I had actually found people who ARE my peers.  A guy who buys a CVO and then drops another 9 grand into making it exciting to ride... surely that guy will understand my addiction...

In other words, conversing with people who share my passion for motorcycles appeals to me. If I'm not welcome here, just say so.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

Some people complain because that's all they know to do.
It's the internet, they think people actually care.
They don't understand that everyone is laughing.
Maybe it's just compensation.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

What I said was not a slam against people who ride Goldwings or Ultras or 6 cylinder BMWs, I merely stated that full blown tourers don't blow my skirt up and for the riding I do I don't want/need one. From my perspective (skewd for sure) the Goldwing feels slow and runs out of ground clearance pretty early... the Ultra even more so.

The CVO that would pique my interest would be the Convertible. Like having 2 or 3 bikes... versatile, lighter, sportier, less gadgets. Simply my personal opinion/preference and says nothing about yours. While you might not care what my preferences are, it's hard to understand why you would take offense or see them as complaining, compensating, or laughable. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »

While you might not care what my preferences are, it's hard to understand why you would take offense or see them as complaining, compensating, or laughable. 

For whatever reason you choose or justify, you consistently slam Harley's on this site. (maybe you do BMW's and Goldwings also but I don't care about them)
That is your right.
For some reason you are under the impression that because you have a fast victory that people really care and or want to hear about it.
Most of the time I ignore your post but the earlier one,
The thought of an 800+ pound, 65 horsepower motorcycle excites me about as much as watching paint dry.
shows to me how unaware you are about a modern Harley.
Again, a lack of knowledge is also your right. But when you come on a Harley site and exhibit that lack of knowledge I find it somewhat funny.
And that is my right.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »

Trying to remember the old commercial from, maybe, the 1960s.  Something like "You meet the nicest people when talking about a Honda."     ::)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »

Well, didn't take too long once again to get of track.... :P  :drink:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:01:33 AM by Robmay »

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 11:04:43 AM »

At 1:17 this video says it has a 5 speed tranny WITH over drive. Would that be like a 6 speed?

Half_Crazy

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »

For whatever reason you choose or justify, you consistently slam Harley's on this site

I slammed Harleys?

shows to me how unaware you are about a modern Harley

I may be lots of things, but unaware isn't one of them.

From here:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2011-kawasaki-vulcan-1700-vaquero-vs-2011-harleydavidson-road-glide-custom-90376.html

That's a 2011 103" PowerPak... Would that be considered a modern Harley?

Half_Crazy

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »

I re-read this whole thread and these are NOT quotes from me:

"If a person is buying a touring bike strictly based on function over form, and reliability, HD would probably not be in the running..... You can certainly get a lot more bike for the buck with a Wing or BMW, from a practical point of view, especially when you compare them to a CVO touring bike." 

"The GW is a different ride... feels like a sport bike compared to the SEUC.  The power is unbelievable.  It is a bigger bike than the SEUC, so it does ride better.  There is more seat room, which is good on a long trip"

"it is good to have a second bike to ride while the SEUC is in the shop"

"Reliability and function trumps "style" every time in my book, and for those who can only swing having one bike it's a dilemma. Go with the proven reliability, power, handling, and comfort of the Honda "appliance", or take your chances with the stylish but not so reliable Harley?.... All I know is, if I were planning to ride across a desolate desert without a fully equipped chase truck, I'd be much more confident doing it on a Honda than a Harley"

But... I slammed Harleys? Where?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »

HC...I've only been back on the site since late January of this year.  I've read most of your posts since that time, I think.  To me, what you've said is not what I would consider slamming anything.  Your reasons for riding the brand and style of motorcycle you ride are legitimate reasons for you, and I find no fault with them whatsoever.  Victory is a good motorcycle.  So is Honda, Star, BMW, Kawasaki, etc, etc, etc.  Harley's are good motorcycles too, for what they are. They are not the best at everything, and neither are the others.  You spend your money on what you want/like, I do the same, and others may choose something else.  It's all good, because they're all two wheels and a lot of fun.  Some are better at certain things than others...that is true about almost everything in this world, and IMO, that is a very good thing.  It's always good to get another perspective on whatever, unless you're closed minded.  If you were on here just to stir up chit, there are mechanisms in place to have you removed.  I have seen no evidence of that, from my perspective.  It would be a boring assed world if everyone saw everything the same way, or were forced to adopt the viewpoints of whoever thinks they have the best ones.  None of us are here to win a personality contest, so we have to tolerate other opinions.  Tolerance is a good thing too...

TTS Mastertune

Half_Crazy

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »

HC...I've only been back on the site since late January of this year.  I've read most of your posts since that time, I think.  To me, what you've said is not what I would consider slamming anything.  Your reasons for riding the brand and style of motorcycle you ride are legitimate reasons for you, and I find no fault with them whatsoever.

It's all good, because they're all two wheels and a lot of fun.  Some are better at certain things than others...that is true about almost everything in this world, and IMO, that is a very good thing.

My goal has never been to stir up trouble. There's some good conversation in here and I'd like to get in on it. No more, no less.

Lots of passion in me when it comes to motorcycles, but not a lot of loyalty to any particular manufacturer. We all kind of choose the bike closest to our own mental picture of the perfect machine for us and what we plan to use it for... with an eye toward the potential to make it our perfect machine. After shopping/comparing/test riding for 2 years, I decided the Kingpin was the right bike for me at this time, so I bought it. If Honda had built the Kingpin I'd be on a Honda. If Harley had built the Kingpin I'd be on a Harley. I bought the bike, not the brand.

As far a Victory goes, they're doing a pretty good job. They do try to listen to their customers, but they screw some stuff up too. There's things about this bike I would have done differently had I built it, but all in all, a nice package for what I do on it. It taught me a hard-learned lesson; that there's no replacement for cubic dollars!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

HC...I've only been back on the site since late January of this year.  I've read most of your posts since that time, I think.  To me, what you've said is not what I would consider slamming anything.  Your reasons for riding the brand and style of motorcycle you ride are legitimate reasons for you, and I find no fault with them whatsoever.  Victory is a good motorcycle.  So is Honda, Star, BMW, Kawasaki, etc, etc, etc.  Harley's are good motorcycles too, for what they are. They are not the best at everything, and neither are the others.  You spend your money on what you want/like, I do the same, and others may choose something else.  It's all good, because they're all two wheels and a lot of fun.  Some are better at certain things than others...that is true about almost everything in this world, and IMO, that is a very good thing.  It's always good to get another perspective on whatever, unless you're closed minded.  If you were on here just to stir up chit, there are mechanisms in place to have you removed.  I have seen no evidence of that, from my perspective.  It would be a boring assed world if everyone saw everything the same way, or were forced to adopt the viewpoints of whoever thinks they have the best ones.  None of us are here to win a personality contest, so we have to tolerate other opinions.  Tolerance is a good thing too...
Spoken like a true motorcyclist!
The "TAZMUN"

DOOFUS

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

Nicely said.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

None of us are here to win a personality contest...

Not to be disagreeable but.....Recall a contest we had here that was personality driven.  You may not have been on this board much at the time. There was an election of sorts (a poll) & probably a lot of cheating & all kinds of supposed chicanery with reported bribery, skullduggery, & such but no pictures of dead cats near oil drains, unfortunately.   A "Chithead" won & it was said to be due to personality sooooo...

:huepfenlol2:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »

Excellent mindset, kudos on being able to present our differences on what moves us.
2007 Softail Custom

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »

I re-read this whole thread and these are NOT quotes from me:

"If a person is buying a touring bike strictly based on function over form, and reliability, HD would probably not be in the running..... You can certainly get a lot more bike for the buck with a Wing or BMW, from a practical point of view, especially when you compare them to a CVO touring bike." 

"The GW is a different ride... feels like a sport bike compared to the SEUC.  The power is unbelievable.  It is a bigger bike than the SEUC, so it does ride better.  There is more seat room, which is good on a long trip"

"it is good to have a second bike to ride while the SEUC is in the shop"

"Reliability and function trumps "style" every time in my book, and for those who can only swing having one bike it's a dilemma. Go with the proven reliability, power, handling, and comfort of the Honda "appliance", or take your chances with the stylish but not so reliable Harley?.... All I know is, if I were planning to ride across a desolate desert without a fully equipped chase truck, I'd be much more confident doing it on a Honda than a Harley"

But... I slammed Harleys? Where?

The man asked you a question Chithead!
 :)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

Not to be disagreeable but.....Recall a contest we had here that was personality driven.  You may not have been on this board much at the time. There was an election of sorts (a poll) & probably a lot of cheating & all kinds of supposed chicanery with reported bribery, skullduggery, & such but no pictures of dead cats near oil drains, unfortunately.   A "Chithead" won & it was said to be due to personality sooooo...

:huepfenlol2:

I hate I missed that...I'm sure d00d "fixed" it though... :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

Very astute observation.  Surprised the poll winning Chithead has not popped back in to share....well whatever it is you share when you get elected to such a lofty position of import among your peers.
 :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Glad we never had a pee-er poll.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

I didn't win it... but still not sure it wasn't fixed. :nixweiss: :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »

Chithead?  Does he resemble that remark?
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 21 queries.