Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Hitting cars when lane sharing  (Read 17220 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Hitting cars when lane sharing
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »

First off, welcome to this site, no one was/is trying to hassle you, it's just customary here for new members to introduce themselves as to 'get to know each other'..  You will defiantly like it here so buckle up an get to know us.  :2vrolijk_21:

Lane sharing is a added privilege we motorcycles have over the cage drivers and unfortunately it tends to piss off a few of them.  We also take bit of a risk whenever we do it so proper judgment is very important. In my experience, I've noted many cage drivers actually are so jealous, they feel we dont have the right to pass them, so they use their vehicle to cut us off or squeeze us in. Like you, i've rubbed cars while lane sharing, one occasion actually broke the guys left mirror glass in the process and was caused by the idiot trying to squeeze me into the oposite vehicle. This guy also ended up with a boot mark on his left door which left him more aggregated as I left him in miles of backed up traffic  :huepfenjump3: I dont condone my actions but this situation defiantly warranted it.    >:(
Mark suggestions comes from the words of a professional rider/instructor and many of us here have had the honor to be his student. Personally, I've been trying to work in time in my schedule in Sacramento to take his course but now it looks like i'll be waiting a year while Mark is on an assignment in the middle east.  

If you ever end up in the Sacramento area, look me up..  My wife and I will never turn down the opportunity to show off some of the best riding in California's gold country.    :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:30:44 AM by cvobiker »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »

Lane sharing would totally piss me off  especially if someone on a bike would hit or bump me. I might not even feel too badly when I see what happens to him.  I think patience and being cautious go hand and hand when on two wheels.  I will feel bad for the guy in the car but that's about it. When one rolls the dice doing dumb things, bad things are not only bound but will happen.    Maybe the guy that does this doesn't have too much to live for.  :nixweiss:

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »

Welcome to the site, don't let some of the remarks scare you off.
Lane splitting has had it's share of controversy on this site in the past. In Oregon we can not do it, but when we visit our friends in California it is a part of everyday life and I understand why. It's amazing watching the cars in front of you move over to let the motorcycles go through. Sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for the traffic is not an option...unsafe!!!. Besides traffic is a way of life in parts of California...hence lane splitting.
 You should take Mark up on his offer and get to meet some GREAT folks that live in So Cal. Mark teaches Ride Like A Pro and if you are lucky enough he might have an open spot in a class.  :2vrolijk_21:
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »

You should take Mark up on his offer and get to meet some GREAT folks that live in So Cal. Mark teaches Ride Like A Pro and if you are lucky enough he might have an open spot in a class.  :2vrolijk_21:

Welcome to the site, and don't let the naysayers intimidate you.  You have to keep in mind that CA is the only state where lane sharing is legal, so most people think that it's crazy to do it as they never have done it.

I agree with Karen.  There are some great people in SoCal and you will learn more in 4 hours in Mark's class than 4 months on the road.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

... We also take bit of a risk whenever we do it so proper judgment is very important. In my experience, I've noted many cage drivers actually are so jealous, they feel we dont have the right to pass them, so they use their vehicle to cut us off or squeeze us in. Like you, i've rubbed cars while lane sharing, one occasion actually broke the guys left mirror glass in the process and was caused by the idiot trying to squeeze me into the oposite vehicle. This guy also ended up with a boot mark on his left door which left him more aggregated as I left him in miles of backed up traffic  :huepfenjump3: I dont condone my actions but this situation defiantly warranted it.    >:(

Seriously?  And if the guy would've then dumped you or blown your head off for kicking his car, would his actions have been warranted?  Way to escalate the aggression and give bikers an even worse image.  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

The argument that "it's not illegal so it's OK" isn't exactly compelling.  There are lots of stupid things that aren't illegal, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend doing them.  If you're sharing lanes with a willing and fully aware and competent partner, that's one thing.  But to just ASSUME that the driver's of those cages won't move laterally (legally btw) within their lanes is totally insane IMHO.  If one of them happens to be looking to the other side and reacting to something by moving over slightly, guess where that leaves you?  And as long as that cage driver stays within his lane, he is not at fault if you get squeezed and knocked down/run over.

Considering all the distracted driving that goes on these days, it's hard enough to keep some clown from running over you even if you just cruise down the center of your lane in highly visible attire.  Why make it easier for someone to injure or kill you?  I wouldn't be worrying about scuffing up some paint or knocking off a mirror, I'd be more worried about being under the wheels of a car or truck after being knocked off the bike.

BTW, while it may be legal in the state of California, in most states lane sharing, even with another motorcycle, is in fact illegal.  If you observe organized rides in such states, you'll note that the riders are staggered both left and right and fore and aft in the lane so that no one is directly beside another rider.  There are many very good reasons for maintaining that spacing.  Just because California often goes in totally different directions from the other 49 states doesn't mean California is right.  Since  we aren't supposed to discuss politics around here, I'll just leave it at that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »

You bring up a good point Fred. But with all things motorcycle related it's all about how high up the ladder of risk a rider is willing to go. Out here in California lane sharing (what we call splitting lanes) is legal. And yes, I too have been amazed at the riders who zoom between traffic at 80 plus miles an hour. No need to do that if the traffic is moving. But when it is stagnant or a crawling slow and go, lane splitting can be done reasonably safe.

The LAPD has done extensive studies and statistically it is more dangerous to pass through an intersection than to split lanes. The greatest danger to a motorcycle is cross or oncoming traffic. On the freeway the cars are all pointed in the same direction and traveling in the same direction. At an intersection there is oncoming and cross traffic. That is why intersections are known as motorcycle kill zones.

If a rider chooses not to split lanes and to sit in heavy crawling traffic I can respect their choice to avoid risks (although there are also risks in crawling along in traffic too). If a rider wishes to split lanes that's fine too. While it is a bit riskier, if be done prudently it's not as dangerous as it seems. Out here in California a cop won't give you a ticket for lane splitting. He will give you a ticket for unsafe riding.

The next to the last issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article about lane splitting.  The study was by a university and used statistics from motorcycle accidents, by state, from across the nation.  Lane splitting is actually safer for the motorcyclist (and for an air cooled motor.....if you're stuck in the stop and go, 5 mph traffic that's commen out here) than staying in line behind a car.  While I lane split and have pretty much all my life, I was surprised as the people doing the study.  I guess that's why the CHP fight any attempts to pass a law against it.  

The safest place on a freeway is to the right side of the fast lane, near the line, where cars far ahead from both the fast lane and the next lane will see your head light.

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this article that was in Motorcycle Consumer News.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »

Like you, i've rubbed cars while lane sharing, one occasion actually broke the guys left mirror glass in the process and was caused by the idiot trying to squeeze me into the oposite vehicle. This guy also ended up with a boot mark on his left door which left him more aggregated as I left him in miles of backed up traffic  :huepfenjump3: I dont condone my actions but this situation defiantly warranted it.  

Having trouble with the statement in red. How can you not condone your own action but feel it was warranted (even "defiantly" - assume you meant definately but gotta love the Freudian slip in the spelling error).

If it can never be acceptable for a cage to squeeze a bike who is lane splitting (and it never is), it can never be acceptable to retaliate when some idiot does it. We gotta be bigger than the cages as we all get painted with the same brush when someone on a bike does something dumb.

Lived in San Diego for a while (just up the road from Del Mar). Didn't own a bike at the time but had previously so I was familiar with riding. Lane splitting wasn't legal at the time but it didn't keep bikers from doing it. I was always jealous when they breezed by me as I sat in traffic and occasionally I would even get pissed that they were doing it but I never would have thought of squeezing one.

As to the original poster - X5 on the getting together with Mark for some riding instruction. He is an incredible rider and a great guy and he is just up the freeway. You're riding a big bike, learn the skills required to handle it with confidence. You will be glad you did!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:21:00 AM by Buy early »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »

The argument that "it's not illegal so it's OK" isn't exactly compelling.  There are lots of stupid things that aren't illegal, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend doing them.  If you're sharing lanes with a willing and fully aware and competent partner, that's one thing.  But to just ASSUME that the driver's of those cages won't move laterally (legally btw) within their lanes is totally insane IMHO.  If one of them happens to be looking to the other side and reacting to something by moving over slightly, guess where that leaves you?  And as long as that cage driver stays within his lane, he is not at fault if you get squeezed and knocked down/run over.

Considering all the distracted driving that goes on these days, it's hard enough to keep some clown from running over you even if you just cruise down the center of your lane in highly visible attire.  Why make it easier for someone to injure or kill you?  I wouldn't be worrying about scuffing up some paint or knocking off a mirror, I'd be more worried about being under the wheels of a car or truck after being knocked off the bike.

BTW, while it may be legal in the state of California, in most states lane sharing, even with another motorcycle, is in fact illegal.  If you observe organized rides in such states, you'll note that the riders are staggered both left and right and fore and aft in the lane so that no one is directly beside another rider.  There are many very good reasons for maintaining that spacing.  Just because California often goes in totally different directions from the other 49 states doesn't mean California is right.  Since  we aren't supposed to discuss politics around here, I'll just leave it at that.

Jerry

You mean like riding a motorcycle, Jerry? :huepfenlol2:   I've heard that all my life........"riding a motorcycle is crazy......it's suicide", etc. etc.  You guys have all heard it if you've rode very much.  I've heard the same thing about owning and using guns.  We all tear the paper differently. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »

Having trouble with the statement in red. How can you not condone your own action but feel it was warranted (even "defiantly" - assume you meant definately but gotta love the Freudian slip in the spelling error).

If it can never be acceptable for a cage to squeeze a bike who is lane splitting (and it never is), it can never be acceptable to retaliate when some idiot does it. We gotta be bigger than the cages as we all get painted with the same brush when someone on a bike does something dumb.

Lived in San Diego for a while (just up the road from Del Mar). Didn't own a bike at the time but had previously so I was familiar with riding. Lane splitting wasn't legal at the time but it didn't keep bikers from doing it. I was always jealous when they breezed by me as I sat in traffic and occasionally I would even get pissed that they were doing it but I never would have thought of squeezing one.

As to the original poster - X5 on the getting together with Mark for some riding instruction. He is an incredible rider and a great guy and he is just up the freeway. You're riding a big bike, learn the skills required to handle it with confidence. You will be glad you did!

California has never been successful in adopting a lane splitting law.  It's never been illegal here.  The CHP are the biggest oganized groupp of opponents of such legislation but I've spent more than my share of time as Regional Rep. for MMA (Modified Motorcycle Assoiation) and a member of ABATE lobbying the legislature on this and other proposed laws that affect motorcyclists.

West Coast GTG   

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »

In you defense I have lane split for years. In Portland one afternoon, turned a 3 hr drive into 20 mins. On the our side a RKC with beach bars is one of the widest touring bikes make and much care must be taken. Don't stop though....time is money!!!!   
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »

The next to the last issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article about lane splitting.  The study was by a university and used statistics from motorcycle accidents, by state, from across the nation.  Lane splitting is actually safer for the motorcyclist (and for an air cooled motor.....if you're stuck in the stop and go, 5 mph traffic that's commen out here) than staying in line behind a car.  

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this article that was in Motorcycle Consumer News.

JC,

Can you cut-n-paste that article for us?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »

Welcome to the site!  If I'm reading your response to Mark correctly, and you've been riding 30 miles per week for basically two years, that's only about 4K miles of total riding experience.  That's not much.  The suggestion to get out in an empty parking lot occasionally and spend about 15 minutes practicing slow speed turns and manuevers, panic braking, etc is excellent advice.  Get to know the capabilities of both the bike and yourself, and the operation of the bike becomes so routine that you don't ever have to think about it...shifting, braking, turning at both low and high speeds, etc.  I don't live in California, and have never been there, so lane splitting is not something I've ever done.  I have traveled short distances on the shoulder of the freeway...very cautiously to get to the next exit ramp so that I could avoid sitting still in traffic.  Even that makes me uncomfortable because people around here will get pissed at bikes for doing that.  Trying to fit a 900lb bike between cars would be something I'd have to get used to, and I've been riding long enough to have thousands and thousands of miles under my belt.  I could probably get used to splitting when traffic was more or less at a standstill, and people were obviously willing to let me go between them, but doing so at speed would make my azz pucker, big time.

No disrespect intended, but I think you need some more experience under your belt...do some 200+ mile rides in a day, if your schedule allows...the longer you're on the bike each time, the more familiar and comfortable you become with the whole experience.  It may sound wierd, but you become "one" with the bike and your position in space becomes something you don't have to think about.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »

Jerry

Jerry,

No disrespect but Indiana doesn't have traffic like we do out here in California.  Here, a 20 mile ride can take an hour and a half!  Without lane sharing/splitting, our engines would melt.  Keep in mind that we are talking about stop and go or low speed traffic, not lane splitting at 100+ while traffic is moving at 70.  I believe that it was comedian Louie Anderson who said the following when in the car as a kid:  According to his father, anyone driving faster than him was a maniac, and anyone driving slower than him was a moron.  It seems that you are taking the same stance with lane splitting.  Just because it isn't something that you would do doesn't mean that it's stupid.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »

One observation regarding lane splitting/sharing.  Most CA drivers are used to motorcycles going by between lanes.  My philosophy is to be extra observant, extra careful, and make it through safely. 

If I am approaching a car with non-California plates, my caution goes up even more because most likely they aren't expecting me to be there since they don't have lane splitting where they live.  I will flash my headlight at their mirror, rev the engine, whatever I feel will make them aware of me as I approach them.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 21 queries.