Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?  (Read 14066 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

I had back surgery (two discs removed) about 22 yrs. ago and while I was good to go for a number of years after that, the back pain has gradually creeped back in and progressed to the point where at times, riding is just excruciating.

Couple that with a serious motorcycle accident about six years ago where I was busted up real bad and now have permanent nerve damage in my left leg and left foot.

I often wonder.....just how much longer I'm going to be able to ride.  Mentally, I'm determined to not let it take me down and I just grit my teeth and push on through it.  But physically......I really don't know how much longer I can be able to ride at will.  I'm sure, at some point, there will come a time when I'll not be able to ride for a day (or days) due to pain but can still ride at other times.

I've also wondered who else has physical ailments where they're in the same place.....wondering how much longer.  Or are they already there...at a place where their riding is impaired or restricted in distance or time because of the ailments?  Let's hear it guys......you're not alone. :nixweiss:

Vagabond's recent thread regarding his hearing is what pushed me to go ahead and start this thread.  Vagabond......we're praying that your options will be successful enough that you're able to ride again. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:03:27 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Medical issues that impair or restrict your riding?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

I had back surgery (two discs removed) about 22 yrs. ago and while I was good to go for a number of years after that, the back pain has gradually creeped back in and progressed to the point where at times, riding is just excruiating.

Couple that with a serious motorcycle accident about six years ago where I was busted up real bad and now have permanent nerve damage in my left leg and left foot.

I often wonder.....just how much longer I'm going to be able to ride.  Mentally, I'm determined to not let it take me down and I just grit my teeth and push on through it.  But physically......I really don't know how much longer I can be able to ride at will.  I'm sure, at some point, there will come a time when I'll not be able to ride for a day (or days) due to pain but can still ride at other times.

I've also wondered who else has physical ailments where they're in the same place.....wondering how much longer.  Or are they already there...at a place where their riding is impaired or restricted in distance or time because of the ailments?  Let's hear it guys......you're not alone. :nixweiss:

Vagabond's recent thread regarding his hearing is what pushed me to go ahead and start this thread.  Vagabond......we're praying that your options will be successful enough that you're able to ride again. :2vrolijk_21:

JC, I hear your pain and I ask myself that question multiple times in one day.  I know your mc is your passion and we never want it taken away by any other reason than one we choose, but sometimes our bodies talk to us and tell us the truth about things that we don't want to hear, it's called PAIN.  I wish you many more years of happy and hopefully pain free riding.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »

Post op of the hole in my head has slowed me down quite a bit, lots of fatigue and headaches....2 tanks of gas a day and thats it, I am wiped. I see no iron butt in my future and I am ok with that, a future will be good enough for me even when I have to hang it up.
I am ready to sell the '35 because the oldster is a challenge to ride for me now.  Good luck to us all.. Live every day...the one who dies with the most birthdays wins, not toys

:drink:

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »

Last October I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and have been undergoing chemo treatments since. This is my second round with cancer having throat and neck cancer a couple of years ago. The Cancer has now expanded into various parts of my body and one of the recent effects seems to be to the nerves which run through the chest cavity and into my shoulders and arms. I have found that the pain in my shoulders from holding onto the bars after an hour or so of riding becomes almost unbearable even with the use of pain medication which I am really against when on two wheels. I have been riding since I was a kid and am enjoying my seventh Harley at this time.   My wife loves to ride also  and we am out on the bike almost every weekend for short rides if just to breakfast or lunch. Although I am not capable of any extended trips at this time the thought of being on the road with my friends is always there.  I have considered the idea of a Trike but somehow it just does not seem to be the same.   Additionally,  I am not excited with the idea of giving up either the bike and this life experience anytime in the near future but one never knows. The Quacks I see on a regular basis have not been much help and the prognosis is not good for the future but I figure I will hold onto what is near and dear to me as long as I can. I  guess it is just a matter of time before age catches up with each of us in some way or the other.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »

As far as physical ailments, I've been pretty lucky, the one concern I do have is that I've never been able to see out of my left eye, makes shoulder checking a bit more strenuous as I have to really turn my head to see but I would see a faint image if there was a vehicle there so I've had to rely of my right eye to do the checking. As I age, my right eye gradually deteriorates but if I would ever have something happen to it, such as a flying rock hit me in the right eye, I'd be blind, so I've always had a good pair of riding glasses and been getting used to riding with a full face helmet. When my wife passed away suddenly in 2009, I learned very quickly how precious life is and how fast it all can be taken away from you. When I can't do it anymore because of something debilitating, I guess I would have to get a nice convertible to be in the wind, not the same feeling but it would have to do. Old age ain't for sissies!!!
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

Oh man, JC, this thread is a 'downer'....because I'm right in there with you guys.  They're treating my left eye right now, trying to restore some vision due to 'something' right in the middle that is obstructing my vision.  Glaucoma for past 20+ years don't help the prognosis a bit.  Neither did my mc accident with the cage less than a year ago that my 70 yr. old body is trying to recover from.....but, I can still putt for day rides as long as they're not iron-butt cross country deals like I use to be able to do.  No more.  Just hurts too much and can't safetly ride into the darkness and bad weather like before.  But, as long as we can putt at all, we're blessed and need to quit whinning.  As Harry says:  get off the porch, even if you can no longer run with the big (fast) dogs.  :drink:  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »

I almost didn't post this after reading the above, as my pain now seems very trivial. 2 compound fractures of my right arm, 8 months apart in the early 70's made riding for over 2 hrs impossible. Since the availability of cruise in the early 90's, I have no problems. Wow, you guys desire to ride impresses me to no end. Makes my injury seem like a birthday party.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

Slipped disc in my lower back for the past 25 years causes issues from time to time, but hasn't since my last steroid treatment 3 years ago.  When it does flare up though, I'm down in a chair for at least two days.  Can't imagine trying to sit on a bike all day.  Right eye is messed up and can't get better than 20/60 out of it, and even then things are kinda' distorted...but, the left eye is dominant now, so my brain is compensating.

Mostly, I just get all "stove up" after too long of a day riding.  I can still do those 500 mile days if I have to, but I much prefer days in the 250-300 mile range when traveling.  Much over that becomes more of an endurance test rather than a pleasant day.

Other than that...I've always had a small/weak bladder, but since having the Big C in my bladder 7 years ago (still clear), my frequency of stops has increased, and is only getting worse.  Not debilitating, just aggravating, and doesn't lend itself to long group rides very well.  I guess Depends would be an option... :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »

Former back injury from a bike crash when I lived in California causes me to take about 10-15 mg of hydrocodone before I head out for a ride or the ride isn't comfortable at all.  I guess the solo bare bones seat doesn't help any either.  I know that most of the time we have a tendency to keep our pain and it's restrictions to ourselves and try to push on.  I think this is a good thread for those of us to network about this subject.  Maybe as some of us progress to that point where two wheels is no longer an option, we can hope that maybe trikes might extend the ride for a few more years.
Jesus is Lord

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

Other than that...I've always had a small/weak bladder, but since having the Big C in my bladder 7 years ago (still clear), my frequency of stops has increased, and is only getting worse.  Not debilitating, just aggravating, and doesn't lend itself to long group rides very well.  I guess Depends would be an option... :nervous:
Or you could just ride with me and some of the ole dude's I ride with....we stop more often now than we did when we rode choppers with peanut tanks (and it ain't for gas and beer either).  :-[ har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »

Wow everyone...truly this is an eye opener..I would say that most of us have our own aches and pains, some more some less.  But the absolute love of the ride presented here is amazing.  It's certainly no fun getting older with the inherent ageing of our bodies.  That's why after not riding for so many, many years I gave up on my new starter bike went directly to the CVO...what was I going to do?..trade up when I am 70? don't think so..
Many good wishes to you all..

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »

Wow everyone...truly this is an eye opener..I would say that most of us have our own aches and pains, some more some less.  But the absolute love of the ride presented here is amazing.  It's certainly no fun getting older with the inherent ageing of our bodies.  That's why after not riding for so many, many years I gave up on my new starter bike went directly to the CVO...what was I going to do?..trade up when I am 70? don't think so..
Many good wishes to you all..
yeah, like Miker and the '35 oldster'......you gotta do what makes sense sometimes.  :( spyder

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

Dang, Spyder, I had no clue you were so ancient!  I'll start using Sir from now on when referring to you.   :wink3:
Jesus is Lord

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

Dang, Spyder, I had no clue you were so ancient!  I'll start using Sir from now on when referring to you.   :wink3:
My 'Sir' status was many moons ago.....'ole fart' works for most that know me (among other things I can't repeat on a family site.  :o har.  spyder

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

Still recovering from a wreck on my Sturgis. Shoulder and ribs and both groin muscles. Nothing as serious as some but can feel it at 62.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.