Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved  (Read 6272 times)

robertg

• Full CVO Member
Re: Canadian purchasing a U S bike ... what's involved
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »

I believe you can also get the recall information online now. The last one that I did was a year ago and it was a 2012 model, they didn't even want the recall letter. Here's a link to the recall site.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/service-your-bike/service-recalls/service-recalls.html

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »

Deeley can never tell anyone what they can or cannot buy nor can they any province what can or cannot be registered! If a motorcycle is still under the new vehicle warranty Deeley can try and get out of covering a warranty claim unless you jump through their hoops. However, if you happen to live reasonably close to a US dealership the US dealership will gladly take care of any new vehicle warranty item.

So Deeley signs off nothing else other than the new vehicle warranty and only if it still applies. Every other issue including safety, lighting, etc, is strictly provincially or federally regulated.  

Hope this helps your buddy and puts his mind at ease.        
That is what my understanding was from some of the other links that members have offered and this bike being a 2009 I would assume it is now out of warrantys so it should have nothing to do with Deeley is that correct?
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

I just went to that link and entered my VIN it told me no open recalls and gave an option to print my results. Wonder if that would be an acceptable recall letter for them,providing his VIN comes back clean?
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »

This suggestion of Deeley not being able to void a warranty is incorrect, the have been doing it and will continue to.

I posted this back in May:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74334.0

:coolblue:

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

This suggestion of Deeley not being able to void a warranty is incorrect, the have been doing it and will continue to.

I posted this back in May:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74334.0

:coolblue:

I think that has been established here Murph,  If the bike is still under manufactures warranty you have to jump through the "Deeley Hoops"$$$$        But if it is out of warranty there is no issue with a dealership servicing the bike is there?
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

I just went to that link and entered my VIN it told me no open recalls and gave an option to print my results. Wonder if that would be an acceptable recall letter for them,providing his VIN comes back clean?

krypto2011,

I would not count on sending this printout to RIV, I would get the Recall letter from the seller or from the Dealer in the US. I would not pay Deeley or any Canadian HD Dealer $50.00 to provide a document that you can get n/c.

geezerglide

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »

I think that has been established here Murph,  If the bike is still under manufactures warranty you have to jump through the "Deeley Hoops"$$$$        But if it is out of warranty there is no issue with a dealership servicing the bike is there?

Right Marty, only time it's an issue is when the warranty is still valid, the stealers would be happy to relieve your friend at any opportunity otherwise!

Gill

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »

This is what i did. Hope it helps   :)

HDard

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

GR8 information. I found a good deal on a unique CVO SG in Atlanta, GA and now in the process of trying to find someone to transport it for me to the Toronto area. I will add the rear taillight as I've always thought the more (or better) lights back there the better. Any other advice or comments always appreciated.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

2 Things I found out when I was looking into this was...... The 3rd brake light/pig nose is not as easy to install as you might think. The wiring has to get done and a module has to be installed to control the light. As for the speedo you can replace it to KM but it starts at 000000. You cannot reset it or adjust it to existing KM/Miles of what the bike traveled. With this new Speedo comes a yellow sticker which gets attached to the frame and stands out like a sore thumb. It says that the speedo has been changed on the bike. Down the road raises red flags if you try and sell it. Better off getting the little stickers with numbers and place them on the glass of the speedo. After the inspection you can peel them off. Avoids the yellow sticker on the frame.

The tail light i never confirmed but the speedo information came from H.D.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

My bike came with the appropriate rear light, as have many others I've seen.

At the point of sale I was was issued an ugly sticker that was supposed to be attached permanently to the frame according to the guv... it wasn't yellow it was offwhite and composed with some sort of metallic base... but mine somehow got lost, and was never affixed.

There is supposed to be an offence and penalty under the ORegs of the Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario for not attaching it, but I couldn't locate it and I am a Provincial Offences Act Instructor... if I can't find the appropriate charge I will bet my left testicle that there are very few other LE guys who can, or even care to!

I can see the reasoning for the yellow one though... if you change the speedo it is possible that some dude who may be less than honest could rapidly reduce many miles on an otherwise tired bike offered for sale.

:mickey:

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

British Columbia's corporate 'poster child' (ICBC) has ruled that a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is in fact NOT a Harley-Davidson motorcycle IF it is powered by a non H-D motor (S&S).  It will be registered as a 'U-built', and will have a new VIN riveted to the steering head.

It is a Harley-Davidson 'modified' if it's powered by a titled H-D manufactured motor, and the bike can use the original VIN.

The nabob's that run ICBC only recognize a 'numbers match' Harley as a Harley-Davidson motorcycle ..... ask me how I know!   :coolblue:

Greg
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »

I have also recently imported several Harleys from the states. Never any tailight questions or issues, and the speedometer stickers are only suggested by Canadian Tire. Keep in mind that the provincial laws can change from province to province. As an example, last time I checked you couldn't register a salvaged title bike into Ontario, and I believe you can in some provinces.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »

British Columbia's corporate 'poster child' (ICBC) has ruled that a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is in fact NOT a Harley-Davidson motorcycle IF it is powered by a non H-D motor (S&S).  It will be registered as a 'U-built', and will have a new VIN riveted to the steering head.

It is a Harley-Davidson 'modified' if it's powered by a titled H-D manufactured motor, and the bike can use the original VIN.

The nabob's that run ICBC only recognize a 'numbers match' Harley as a Harley-Davidson motorcycle ..... ask me how I know!   :coolblue:

Greg

Greg,

The same holds true for Manitoba. Years ago I sold my 2003 Road Glide with a JIMS 120 and Baker 6 speed. When the new owner went for an out of province inspection so he could title the bike. The inspector told him he  could only declare it as HOME BUILT. Of course Manitoba has a provincial run insurance program same as BC. When I checked Alberta DOT, they advised the bike is registered to the VIN of the frame.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:30:42 AM by geezerglide »

HDard

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »

This is great. For others who may be following this thread I have been in contact with Mackie and they quoted $655.00 from Atlanta, GA to their Oshawa terminal by enclosed trailer. An additional 5%  GST is needed and their customs broker fees to get the vehicle across  could be up to $460.00 if you want them to do it all for you (RIV payment is your responsibility). Will store the bike for $100/month if you need that service. They include a handy checklist with contacts to ease the transaction process. The pick up is not immediate (in my case may be up to 4 weeks) so if you need faster service then this may not be the most convenient. Hopefully seller will assist in getting rear tailight installed before transport but dont think that is a deal breaker at this point. Still realizing significant savings compared to a CDN  bike (2010 CVO SG) so I'm happy with that side of the deal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.