Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: WARNING for those of you that have bike table jacks  (Read 12288 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: WARNING for those of you that have bike table jacks
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »

But again, when set up and installed correctly, what happened to you isn't going to happen, because it's not mechanically possible. 

This is just like the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap scenario.  Yes she knew it was hot, but they didn't tell her it was hot and she spilled it.  McDonald's paid off.

If a Handy lift can be put together or moved in such a way to disengage the front rollers, they are probably liable for the mishap.

I'm not a suit crazed guy, but this should not have happened regardless of the circumstances leading up to the incident.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

scp1scp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »

So sorry to hear about this accident and extremely happy that no one was hurt.  It sounds like you have determined the problem and the solution and I am glad that you shared that with all of us.  Everyone is running out checking their equipment.

Steve.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 11:47:56 PM »

This is just like the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap scenario.  Yes she knew it was hot, but they didn't tell her it was hot and she spilled it.  McDonald's paid off.

If a Handy lift can be put together or moved in such a way to disengage the front rollers, they are probably liable for the mishap.

I'm not a suit crazed guy, but this should not have happened regardless of the circumstances leading up to the incident.

I am totally sympathetic to Bub but I don't agree with the McDonald's analogy. For example, assume a truck gets pulled out of a ditch and in the process of pulling it out the owner hooks up a tow strap to the axle and pulls it out of alignment. Then when driving the truck, the damaged axle fails and causes an accident and the driver gets hurt. Is the truck manufacturer liable for the injuries? No. Likewise, if the lift was not secured and moved properly which was the cause of the upper roller bearing coming out of the channel you can't blame Handy. I'm not saying that is what happened here but if it is, Handy would not be liable.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

Wow that mad me cringe just picturing it in my mind :'(feel for ya Bub.
All said and done,..by the photos those roller channels need a stop bar at each end to stop the rollers from popping out. I can't believe there weren't any. A simple solution but a solution too late. I'd see about installing some before using that table again. Glade you were not injured.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2014, 08:39:21 PM »

Stops will go in. Now that I have put it back together they will never come out while in use. They will come out if you pick it up wrong to move it. The Handy company told me that they don't put stops in because it is the way they assemble it. They were sympathetic and said they were going to look into it. I left them my number in hope they will get back to me. The bike hit my tool box and damaged a drawer but I am glad I was not pinned between it and the bike.

I take my bike to the adjuster on Wednesday so I will let you know how I make out.
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »

Told you to do that Okie Redneck style bring it in the house put it on the dining room or pool table and secure to the ceiling fan. No chance it would ever fall. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »

Damn, I'm just catching this thread for the first time, and jeez, I feel for you Bub.  What a kick to the stomach.  I have a buddy who swore by his cheapo Harbor Freight lift, until his toppled, so I was shocked to heard yours was a Handy.

I've got the SAM 2, with the side extensions and the leg stablizers, and I'm going to go and inspect this now.  Whenever I've ever moved it around, I always had the table fully risen, and I moved it around like a wheel barrel from the rear. The wheels are in the front, so it just never would have registered to move it around from the front. However, in your scenario, I can see exactly what you're talking about so thank you for the heads up. I too will be figuring out the bast way to add a carrage bolt and nut in a manner that it doesn't interfere with the side extensions.

Good luck man!

2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

Thanx again for the posts on this thread.

I have contacted my insurance company and it is covered. It is considered a comprehence claim and I am allow one every 3 years without it affecting my rate. I have a 200 dollar deductible so it is not to bad. I AM disappointed that I never heard back from HANDY. It would have been nice if they would have offer some kind of compensation......Oh well.

Insurance is going to let me do the repairs myself and I will get someone to do the paint. The worst part is the mufflers which I banged out till the new ones arrive. I also have to replace one of the top fork covers which I think is going to be the toughest.

Bumped up Bub,
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.