Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Air suspension...Arnott or Legends?  (Read 18661 times)

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
Air suspension...Arnott or Legends?
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »

Shopping between the 11 way adjustable Arnott Alden system and legends. Legends is significantly more expensive.

Thoughts?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Air suspension...Arnott or Legends?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »

I'm completely satisfied with my Legends, but I have friends who like their Arnott's too...  I think you'd be satisfied either way...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »

I looked at both for my cuse7 and went with the Legends mainly because they have a lifetime warranty and the Arnott has only 5 years.  They will leak eventually.  I've had to send mine from my '07 back a couple times for repair at no charge.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure there is a reason for the difference in price.

I tried the Arnott's, didn't care for them at all and took them off. All they really do is change the ride height with air pressure. And the ride gets worse as you adjust up - just like having air shocks on your 70's muscle cars  :drink:

A good air suspension will adjust ride height and keep the ride comfortable, which is what I believe the legends do.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

I looked at both for my cuse7 and went with the Legends mainly because they have a lifetime warranty and the Arnott has only 5 years.  They will leak eventually.  I've had to send mine from my '07 back a couple times for repair at no charge.

That's a good point...  I sent my Legend shocks back once for service also.  They were rebuilt at no charge...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:26:47 AM »

I love my Legends!  Always smooth no matter what the load or pressure.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »

I heard the compressor is slow.  Also Arnott makes two versions.  Are you all saying the Aldan 11 way adjustable version is too rough of a ride?

Price difference is substantial so I am trying to wrap my mind around that.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

I heard the compressor is slow.  Also Arnott makes two versions.  Are you all saying the Aldan 11 way adjustable version is too rough of a ride?

Price difference is substantial so I am trying to wrap my mind around that.

I had the higher end version of the Arnott's. Did about 300 miles and took them off.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »

I have had Legends for five years now. The compressor is very slow and they leak down overnight so have to drop them or the alarm will go off when they make their last drop. Does that mean I should send them back? The ride I am happy with but still may switch to the Arnott compressor which pumps up fast like right now while the Legend compressor is still groaning away. It seems there is a change in the newer Legends like several bumps while pumping up that mine doesn't have. Noticed on 56fle's new bike as we compared them while on a trip. Noticed I was flat footed sitting on his bike fully dropped but not quite on mine. Could be new frame, lower profile tires, don't know.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »

I have had Legends for five years now. The compressor is very slow and they leak down overnight so have to drop them or the alarm will go off when they make their last drop. Does that mean I should send them back? The ride I am happy with but still may switch to the Arnott compressor which pumps up fast like right now while the Legend compressor is still groaning away. It seems there is a change in the newer Legends like several bumps while pumping up that mine doesn't have. Noticed on 56fle's new bike as we compared them while on a trip. Noticed I was flat footed sitting on his bike fully dropped but not quite on mine. Could be new frame, lower profile tires, don't know.

Terry...if you're leaking down like that, you've got a leak somewhere.  It's not normal.  While the ambient air temp will have a small effect, it will never have that much effect.  If you've made sure all your connections are good (you can check them with a soapy solution...either make it yourself, or pick up a bottle at a local HVAC/Refrigeration supply store), there's really only a couple of things it could likely be.  One is the bleed off solenoid is not closing completely, thus letting a small amount of air leak out of the system.  The other is that the boots on the shocks are leaking...the only way to test them is to take them off, plumb up an air line to pump them up, then submerge in a bucket of water.  My guess is that it's the boots, with them being 5 years old.  Give Legends a call and see what they suggest.  They have changed the internals on the shocks a bit since we did the group buy back in '07 or whenever it was.

The compressor is a little slow, but on one hand that's a good thing, as you can pump them up just a little bit at a time to get the ride just right.  That's never been a big issue with me, but it is a bit slow.

To the OP...it is possible to get too much air in the Legends and have a too firm ride, but it's pretty obvious when you do that.  For "normal" riding, with just me on the bike, I can pump them up about half way and that's a good starting point...you can tell when they bottom out, so if they do, just add a bit of air until that's not happening.  Riding with them fully lowered is not recommended.  The Legends really perform great with a load on them.  If you shop around, you can get them for $1400 or so.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »

Never having seen the Arnott compressor I cannot compare it to the Legend as for speed of inflating the shocks.  Like Midnight Rider said it does allow for precision.  And it seems to me that it is only maybe 30 seconds or so anyway.  What's the big hurry?  :nixweiss:  If I'm that pushed for time I'm most likely not on my motorcycle anyway.  I ride it for fun and relaxation not hurry, hurry.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »

I still have my Arnotts and like them.

1. the Arnotts not only raise but change the ability of the preload  but ride comfort (softness) is a function of psi.

you cannot raise the rear without increasing the firmness.

my loaded weight and riding style allow me to pump up my system fairly high. and the suspension gives me lots of travel.

I do not like the leak down (I have a small leak and my system will bottom out left sitting overnight)

My biggest problem is that since the system is adjustable (ride and height) that the handling is also changed and not as predictable with psi changes.

it has been hard to maintain an exact fixed psi.

The Arnotts are not well suited to lighter riders and preloads (I cannot speak for the legends).

What I really want is a fixed ride height (regardless of preload) and an adjustable firmness in ride. That I have not come across yet with any manufacture.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:22:16 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »

Keats, the Legends are pretty much the same.  Pump 'em up and the firmness will increase.  Riding solo I can't go all the way up but when riding two-up I usually ride almost at the top of the travel.  But it is nice to be able to adjust on the fly.  In any case they are much better than the stock shocks - and I don't want to have to fool with adjusting pre-load on manual shocks.  So all in all the air ride suspension is the best for my needs and riding style.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »

I have Arnotts and am very happy with them. I'm 195 pounds and live in the documented worst roads state of LA.
I don't have any bleed down problem and the ride is always smooth and soft. As for cornering, we have Bayou roads that twist just like the Dragon except our roads don't have any banking on the turns and some actually lay with a slight bank in the wrong direction.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »

Keats...by definition, you'll never find a shock that has a fixed preload for all loads.  On a standard, exposed spring type shock, the preload, or sag, is set via tension on the spring.  With air shocks, it's just done with air, that's all.  Either way, the preload must be adjusted for different loads...well, it doesn't HAVE to be, but if you don't want to bottom out the shock you do.

A shock like a Bitubo has three adjustments:  Sag (preload) which is adjusted by measuring how far the bike "settles" with any given load on the shock and is adjusted by turning a collar, increasing or decreasing spring tension.  Rebound damping, which has an adjustable range of 1-5, and effects the rate at which the shock piston moves downward after a compression stroke...on a Bitubo, you can usually set this on 2 or 3 and leave it.  Compression damping, which, on the Bitubo shock, is adjustable via a knob on the gas canister that controls a needle valve, effecting in a non-linear fashion the response of the shock piston to an upward stroke of the swingarm.  That part is easy to adjust.  The difficult adjustment is the spring preload, but once you figure it out, you'll typically have three or four settings: solo; solo with a load; two up, which may be the same setting as solo with a load; and two up loaded.

On a bike that is not a bagger, adjustment of a spring type shock is not a huge deal.  But on a bagger, you pretty much have to remove the bags to adjust the preload, which is a bit of a PITA.  That's what is so nice with a system like the Arnott or Legend...you push a button to adjust the sag (preload).
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.