Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 40274-08A Compensator  (Read 15666 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 40274-08A Compensator
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »

Jim, why is it you always show up when I ask a dumb question? :confused5: :nixweiss: :nervous:

The only question that is dumb is the one you don't ask ;D.........

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »

Here is my dumb question, I have a 2010 with 20,000 miles.  The compensator was knocking bad and replaced at 18,000.  The new compensator is already knocking, but only when the engine struggles to idle.  It has a pretty radical build with 660 lift cams.  My dealer is thinking about eliminating the compensator altogether and replacing it with a solid sprocket.  He says the cush drive will take care of the vibration.  What are your thoughts?

BTW, I use Redline primary fluid every 5000 miles.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

When the first new comp assembly came out my 07 SEUC went in for replacement and I let them talk me into the Evo Industries 30t sprocket that had NO comp assembly. As soon as I reached 50-55 mph the vibration started numbing my arms and legs. I then ran it up to 65 and dropped into 6th even worse. Brought it back and installed the SE comp assembly and all has been good since even with my 131. I personally think these motors need the comp assembly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »

Here is my dumb question, I have a 2010 with 20,000 miles.  The compensator was knocking bad and replaced at 18,000.  The new compensator is already knocking, but only when the engine struggles to idle.  It has a pretty radical build with 660 lift cams.  My dealer is thinking about eliminating the compensator altogether and replacing it with a solid sprocket.  He says the cush drive will take care of the vibration.  What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that your dealer is obviously not an engineer.  btw, the compensator is there to protect the engine and primary/trans from shock loading, and it works even when the bike is sitting still.  Have him explain to you how the rear wheel "cush drive" sprocket is going to take care of that.

What version of the compensator does your bike have?  In theory the 2010 CVO should have come with the SE compensator, but with Harley who knows.  Make sure you have the latest version of the SE compensator, and all the parts are good.  As long as they are willing to keep putting in new ones (I'm surprised they are with a heavily modified engine), I'd have them keep putting them in.  No way would I eliminate the compensator and install a solid gear.  And if the current one is knocking after only 2000 miles, you might want to verify it was installed correctly and the thrust washer wasn't damaged.  There are plenty of radical builds out there that don't eat compensators that quickly. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »

Absolutely not....do not eliminate the compensator.  

The intention of the compensator is to protect your crankshaft from shock loads - and the crankshaft needs all the protection it can get.  The compensator design does a reasonably adequate job of protecting the crankshaft.  

The problem with the compensator is the design also allows for premature wear - of the compensator itself.  Given the choice of crankshaft damage vs. compensator wear - I'll choose compensator wear.  It's just unfortunate we're required to make this decision - but until the next updated compensator design occurs - it's a choice we are forced to consider.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

Thanks Guys.  The bike came with the updated SE compensator.  They replaced it with the same (SE) compensator.  My dealer has no issues replacing it with the engine build, he says it should not affect it.  The problem is the next compensator replacement will be out of warranty.  I didn't buy the extended warranty since hardly any of my engine parts are HD parts, and they probably wouldn't warranty a tranny with 130hp banging on it.

The only issue I had with the first compensator was noise.  We will see how long this one will last.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq

Richard K

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »

Hey folks I have been all the way down this road and we all seem to keep trying to reinvent the wheel as they say. I have resolved the question of exactly why the SE Compensator is failing and I am developing a fix for now until the MOCO wakes up and gets the job done.
It is not my intent to pull any one away from this forum but rather than rewrite it all which is a thread many pages long go to Harley Tech Talk http://harleytechtalk.org, click on Forum, click on Twin Cam, click on SE Compensator started by Richard K.
You will find this will answer most all of your questions and as soon as I can complete some road testing we will know for sure if by pulling all the stuff we have all learned together and putting it in to action will indeed correct this issue once and for all.

I personnel am on my 6th compensator in 38 months and about 35K miles and hopefully the last.
Check it out and let me know what you think and I will be posting pictures of the road testing progress in 500 mile increments starting next week 1/4/11.

Keep the shiny side up.... I have tried the other option and believe me it sucks

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:31 PM »

I personnel am on my 6th compensator in 38 months and about 35K miles and hopefully the last.

6 compensators in 38 months covering 35k miles?  Lets see, that's 1 compensator every 6 months and every 6000 miles.  Sounds like you solved the problem to me!
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »

"I personnel am on my 6th compensator in 38 months and about 35K miles and hopefully the last."

6 compensators in 38 months covering 35k miles?  Lets see, that's 1 compensator every 6 months and every 6000 miles.  Sounds like you solved the problem to me!

I think it is too early to say if he has solved the problem, since he mentioned that road testing would commence Jan 4 (I assume he meant 2012, not 2011).  We haven't quite gotten there yet.

Lubrication problems have always been a main contributor to the SE comp problems, and by that I mean getting lube where it needs to be, not the actual lubricant.  If his modification works, it sounds like a pretty easy solution.  Or everyone could wait another five or ten years for Harley to decide to fix their sorry design.  I'm still of the opinion that they only care about getting the majority of them to last two years, and couldn't care less about anything beyond that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.