Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance and Hines Hi-Output End Cap/Baffle Removal?  (Read 10591 times)

bigbzhd

Vance and Hines Hi-Output End Cap/Baffle Removal?
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

Does anyone have any tricks for removing the End Caps and Baffles on the Vance and Hines Hi-Ouput Mufflers?
I removed the two screws on the mufflers but the end caps do not budge.  Any suggestions to remove them? Vance and Hines Technical Support wasn't really helpful.  I would like to try to remove them without removing the muffers from the head pipe.  Anyone have any tricks?

Thanks,

Big B

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Vance and Hines Hi-Output End Cap/Baffle Removal?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »

I've pulled mine in and out several times already. Here's the trick:

1) you will need a solid tool with a small hooked end, a pair of big vice grips and a hammer
2) insert hooked end into one of the small baffle holes. Make sure you have a solid connection
3) on the end of the hooked tool attach the vice grip perpendicular to it
4) use hammer and pound the vice grip to pull the baffle set/end cap out (they are attached)
5) once you get the baffle out about 1/2" this frees the friction of the end cap and the outside pipe
6) you can then slide the baffle set out (they sit pretty tight in the fabric wrapping so be carefull, you might need to twist them a little)
7) Once you get the baffles out you can use an allen wrench to remove the three screws to remove the end cap from the baffle.

They can be a bit of a pain when reinstalling so that the oustide end cap screw holes line up. Note! The end cap fits pretty tight into the outer muffler. That's what makes them hard to get out. You will need to tap them back in with a block of wood and a hammer.

I've pulled them in and out many times trying to decide if I like the sound of their Quiet Baffles.
** Stock Baffle: Loud Aggressive Sound but can be a little loud for backroad cruising. Sounds great at idle and out on the highway.
** Quiet Baffle: MUCH quieter and I really like the sound but they sound like an exhaust leak at idle.

Good Luck!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.