Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Significant Oil Leak from front part of engine ... ? :(  (Read 11280 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
Significant Oil Leak from front part of engine ... ? :(
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »

Gents:

Was riding my 3,000 mile old 2007 Road King CVO and from the front part of engine, looks like an o ring blew or gasket or something but it was dripping oil pretty bad.  It stopped once engine turned off, now at shop.

Has anyone else had this ?  Trying to search the posts but it seems the oil leaks discussed are coming from the heads, this is towards the very bottom, under the oil filter, from the front part of engine.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.  I did catch it before any amount of significant oil spilled out.  In fact it was still on full.  But I was wondering what it could be...?

Thank S

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Significant Oil Leak from front part of engine ... ? :(
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

Did you check to make sure your oil lines were still connected or tight?
Is your oil filter tight?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »

Thanks SBB.

When we got back to the dealership we checked the oil filter, with wrench, then we looked over the cables (although not too closely at the time).  Its definately not oil filter.  I wish ....

To note, the recall was completed on this bike.  I actually bought it used from my 10 year long friend (he is the sales manager at the HD shop) and when we were going over everything we plugged in the VIN into the dealerships computer, and yep the one prior owner, who really added alot of extras to it, had everything done on time.  I even caled the prior dealership up that it came from and they said the same thing.

But maybe ... maybe the lines are loose ?

could it be an o ring or gasket ?    Totally front bottom part of engine.  NOt the heads ...

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

Usually and indication of shifted flywheel. The oil starts leaking from the crank sensor. Lets hope not but has happened to often.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »

Thanks.   If that is the case, difficult fix?   I mean the bike is under warranty, in fact I have the extended, but was just curious what that means.  I know nothing about Harley engines.  But am learning.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:03 AM »

Did the bike run ok but merely lost oil?  Or was it running badly (or at least differently) as well?

If it's a crank problem you're in to an engine job.  If the engine continued to run normally that's likely not the problem though.  You said the leak was from the front.   Left front?  Right front?  Pushing out like it was under pressure or just a splashing mess like it was being splashed out of a hole?

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:57 AM »

It ran well all throughout.  More dripping...medium fast.  It may have lost a little power (if that) but it was sounding and growling, etc just like it should.  I mean until the oil hit the pipes and started to smoke, I never would have noticfed.  Forunately I caught it with the oil still at full.   More out of the right front as your lookig at the bike.  Front bottom, right, while looking at the bike.

Thanks ... :)

BTW - back at the shop started right up, sounded great, but leaking worse at that point (it was trailored up).

And I did not notice excessive engine heat.  Felt normal.  I was maybe taking itup to 4,000 RPMs at some poitns during acceleration.  NOthing really hard though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:25 AM »

It ran well all throughout.  More dripping...medium fast.  It may have lost a little power (if that) but it was sounding and growling, etc just like it should.  I mean until the oil hit the pipes and started to smoke, I never would have noticfed.  Forunately I caught it with the oil still at full.   More out of the right front as your lookig at the bike.  Front bottom, right, while looking at the bike.

Thanks ... :)

BTW - back at the shop started right up, sounded great, but leaking worse at that point (it was trailored up).

And I did not notice excessive engine heat.  Felt normal.  I was maybe taking itup to 4,000 RPMs at some poitns during acceleration.  NOthing really hard though.

You mean as your looking at the bike facing from the front?  That's actually considered "left" side as it's generally considered as if you're in the saddle.

That it ran normally suggest far more for something like an oil line to the cooler pushed off than it does a scissored crankshaft.  Though the hole for the crank sensor is on the side I think you're describing.  Hopefully it's just generally messy and getting all over the place though.  Will keep a good thought going for an easy and quick solution.  Good luck with it.

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »

Hi there,

I had exactly the same issue on my 2007 CVO RK.

It turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor that is located at the front lower left hand side of the motor.
Apparently it had disintegrated, but was not caused by a shifting flywheel.

The engine was fully stripped, the oil pump (some damage caused by particles going into the oil flow) and all bearings replaced.  Tried to get a new motor, but lost that one. >:(

Had the crank checked, but was within Harley tolerances so not replaced - by them.

Bad news if it is the sensor, but you can have a lot of other work done whilst the engine is stripped - I had a Timken conversion and the crankshaft trued, welded and plugged. ( No labour charges).

Hope all goes well.

Cheers

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:04 AM »

Oki doki, well we'll see.  Thanks all.  I take the notes to the dealer with me

Colcop ... out of curiousity, how has it run after all of that ?    Still problematic or has it been good to go ?   Any long trips ?   Any more issues I guess is what I was trying to ask after the fix ?

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »

Hi Two Wheels........
It was a massive learning curve for me, and I was assisted by many members here.
I took advantage of the engine tear down and basically have now changed everything except the cases.
I originally had 251 cams and 10.5 cr pistons fitted, plus the crank being trued etc............went quite well.
Had a few drinks one evening and spoke with Randy at Hyperformance (King of Cubes) and ended up with a high long distance phone bill,
R&R Cast Heads, Axtell Cylinders, R&R 615 Gear Drive cams, HPI 55mm Throttlebody and an S&S tuned single bore aircleaner set up. Also dual Vance and Hines headers and the SE Touring mufflers.
Just got the bike back, so running in, but it is now how I always imagined a Harley should be............torquey and great fun to ride.
Long trips - no chance - I am in Singapore. 
Love the bike now. 2007 and only 3100kms on the clock.

Hope all goes well for you..............

Cheers

Canuckian117

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:01 PM »

HI all. 2008 SERK. Just returned from Colorado and all points mid-west.  Left home 3 weeks ago but after a couple of days noticed oil leaking from font of motor.  Like you, I ASSumed an oil line clamp or such and as it wasn't a big leak, rode on. Of course, oil being oil, it was hard to tell the exact location of the leak. Wind blows that liquid gold all over!!  When we reached Rapid City, they took a look and had numerous possibilities, but hosed it down and rode it and put it on the lift and, the cause was the adapter for the oil cooler!  The mechanic (technician) told me it wasn't a great design and has seen this before. As you install and remove oil filter, you can work this adapter loose...apparently only one allen head bolt holds it.  He suggested snugging it up any time I changed the filter.  There is no alignment pin to stop rotation (so he said). Anyway, no more leak!!  10,000 Kms (you figure it out in miles!) and everything is peachy!!  Except for rain and hail and tornados and extreme heat on return trip, we had a ball!!

Good luck.  Your problem may vary!!

wayne
Staying Afloat....just!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

I had that same thing happen to me on an 00 RK. I got the adapter to go with an oil cooler. The thing I liked was it sat up a little higher that made it easier to change the oil filter. I ended up taking it apart and cranked it down tighter as I put it back together, luckily no mere leak. Good luck with yours.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »

HI all. 2008 SERK. Just returned from Colorado and all points mid-west.  Left home 3 weeks ago but after a couple of days noticed oil leaking from font of motor.  Like you, I ASSumed an oil line clamp or such and as it wasn't a big leak, rode on. Of course, oil being oil, it was hard to tell the exact location of the leak. Wind blows that liquid gold all over!!  When we reached Rapid City, they took a look and had numerous possibilities, but hosed it down and rode it and put it on the lift and, the cause was the adapter for the oil cooler!  The mechanic (technician) told me it wasn't a great design and has seen this before. As you install and remove oil filter, you can work this adapter loose...apparently only one allen head bolt holds it.  He suggested snugging it up any time I changed the filter.  There is no alignment pin to stop rotation (so he said). Anyway, no more leak!!  10,000 Kms (you figure it out in miles!) and everything is peachy!!  Except for rain and hail and tornados and extreme heat on return trip, we had a ball!!

Good luck.  Your problem may vary!!

wayne

This is the most likely cause.  I could suggest getting an aftermarket replacement adaptor, but the Jagg part has the same issue.  Jagg eventually came out with an anti-rotation device (optional at extra cost, gotta love how companies expect us to pay to fix their design screw-ups) to fix their problem, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Harley to fix theirs.
http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg%20files/jagg%20pdf/4600AR-instructions.pdf

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

Well ... it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor.  Needless to say, oil bump, bearings, gaskets, etc completed replaced with new under warranty and good as new !   Thanks for all the help. :huepfenjump3:

Lets ride...

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »

I developed a leak in that area about a week ago.

Did the oil come out of the sensor?

Mine is dry... looks like the leak is from the alt.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:29:41 PM by murphy »

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »

Not sure as I know very little about these engines.  Its was drip drip dripping away rather fluidly from front leftish.  But its not a tuff fix for the shop and is covered by your warranty.  No engine damage, just again, new oil pump, gaskets, bearings, etc.  I copy / pasted the few write-ups, gave it to my shop, they had me in and out in a day.

good luck 

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »

Hi Murphy,

If the leak is caused by the sensor, it does more than drip - have a look with the engine running as the leak can be quite fast.

Good news Two Wheels..........it took over two months to get a similar fix on mine.  Hope all remains well.

Cheers
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.