Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Liftmaster MyQ  (Read 5719 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Liftmaster MyQ
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »

Just installed the gateway, two wall controllers, and one monitor. Easy install, easy to set up, app on phone is easy to use, and the monitor is very handy to have in our bedroom upstairs to check/close an open door.

Also got a single remote and changed the one in the faring for one that works with the liftmaster opener.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Liftmaster MyQ
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

+1

Have MyQ and really dig it.
Been a coup,e of times where notification of open/close was delayed (network congestion I imagine) but overall I'm very happy with it

Got a part number handy for an in-fairing opener?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:15:01 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »

I got two of their gateway kits that work with existing door openers.  Both installed on Genie openers.  No separate "monitor" part but monitoring and controlling the door on the house and one of the doors on the shop both from the phone is really convenient. 

I have had the lag you mentioned a couple of times.  Also had a couple weekends that were pre-warned to be out-of-service periods for some maintenance they were doing.  But overall it's been an easy, convenient and inexpensive little system. 

Got a notification one time when I was 200 miles away that the garage door on the house had just gone open.  No way I would have known otherwise.  No clue what triggered it but a neighbor confirmed it was open.  Closed it from the road as I traveled.  Another time when I was on an overnight I suddenly got this nagging feeling I'd gone and left the garage door open.  Could have called a neighbor to look (and looked like a numnuts needing to do so) but instead just looked at the phone.  It told me the door was closed.  Those two episodes justified the cost of the kits for two doors.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:37:24 AM »

Got a part number handy for an in-fairing opener?

371LM...the basic 1 button remote....a dropping resistor and an odometer reset switch in a fairing switch blank.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »

I use this and worked fine for about 4 years now until last week. MyQ on iphone says door closed for 5 days now...cant get it to work, so added "NEW" device and now the iphones show two doors. One works, other still closed for days, and cant delete one that wont work...in contact with Liftmaster...send all info on make and modle of gateway, serial numbers, phones, version, ect...see what they find.

As for bike opener...y-Tube and found how to solder in the Harley opener which works with CVO bikes. Maybe just cause its a Lftmaster door, but it would not "learn the Harley opener and needed wired into the button of the house, not the opener directly. Flash hi/lo beams to open with bike.
Will

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

I use this and worked fine for about 4 years now until last week. MyQ on iphone says door closed for 5 days now...cant get it to work, so added "NEW" device and now the iphones show two doors. One works, other still closed for days, and cant delete one that wont work...in contact with Liftmaster...send all info on make and modle of gateway, serial numbers, phones, version, ect...see what they find.

As for bike opener...y-Tube and found how to solder in the Harley opener which works with CVO bikes. Maybe just cause its a Lftmaster door, but it would not "learn the Harley opener and needed wired into the button of the house, not the opener directly. Flash hi/lo beams to open with bike.

Have had that happen a couple times.  Each time was nothing more than the unit's hub losing contact with my wifi router.  Fix is just a quick unplug and reset of the wifi router so it can make the connection again.

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »

Where do you get apps

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »

Unplug wifi from hub did not fix it...did you mean unplug wifi from house ? I got the blue and green light. Blue means it is programmed for at least one device, green means connected to internet...

Chamberlain has sent my notice up the chain so to speak to next level, waiting on reply.
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »

I'm just waiting for the reports to start rolling in about people hacking all these "smart home" features to break in to homes.  While all this stuff may seem cool and fun and even handy, what I've seen so far indicates the people pushing these features haven't given security much priority.  I've already seen reports of people being able to mess with smart thermostats and home alarm systems.  So while it may be handy to use your phone to turn up the thermostat an hour before you plan to get home, I think I'll stick with the programmable but "dumb" thermostat I've used for years.  Same with lights, door locks, garage doors (I have the Chamberlain with My Q and battery backup, the module is still in the box in the basement), appliances, etc.

Am I the only person who thinks that just perhaps we are allowing this remote control with your phone fad too much control over our lives and our stuff?  Will I be the guy a year or two from now telling people "I told you so"?  I guess time will tell.

Btw, I feel the same way about the keyless vehicle systems with push button start.  The old systems with keyless entry and a smart key with a chip was basically a two factor security system.  Yes, people could hack the keyless entry to open the doors, but they would still have to defeat the key system as well if they planned to drive away.  Now all they have to do is hack the signal the fob transmits continuously to open the doors AND start the vehicle.  The technology and tools already exist to do this, and I've seen demonstrations of it being done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »

^^

If a person wants in to your house, hacking a MyQ would be a helluva a lot harder than say - a crowbar.
People feel very safe I am sure with leaving a garage remote in their car. Simply bust the window, or jimmy the door,  and "Viola" - instant access.

If bad people want to do bad things ... they will get them done.
Simple as that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:47:36 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »

^^

If a person wants in to your house, hacking a MyQ would be a helluva a lot harder than say - a crowbar.
People feel very safe I am sure with leaving a garage remote in their car. Simply bust the window, or jimmy the door,  and "Viola" - instant access.

If bad people want to do bad things ... they will get them done.
Simple as that.

;D  Yup, no doubt the bad guys will keep trying no matter what.  But let's examine a couple scenario's.

Thief A uses the brute force method.  He smashes the windows of your car, then manages to eventually defeat the smart key system and get the car started.  In the meantime, people have heard the noise and observed the activity in the car with the broken window and called the police.  Thief B uses electronics, quietly walks up to your car as if he owned it, unlocks the door and ignition with his signal generator, slides into the drivers seat, pushes the start button, and calmly drives away.  Which thief do you think is more likely to get away clean?

Thief A then goes to your home while you're away, uses his crowbar to force open a door or window, sets off the alarm, and thus has very little time to grab something of value and flee the scene.  Thief B however uses his electronic tools to first disable your alarm system, then unlock your doors, open your garage door and drive his vehicle inside, close the garage door, and just walks in as if he belongs there.  He then enjoys as much time as he needs to dig through everything and make off with everything of value and load it in his vehicle that's sitting in your garage.  No loud noises like the brute force method, no alarms, and nothing to tip off the authorities or the neighbors.

There will always be crooks, but that doesn't mean we have to make their jobs easy and stress free.

Jerry ;)

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »

I think anyone smart enough to do the scenarios you speak of wouldn't visit my neighborhood.

There are much better fish in the sea to warrant such an investment in technology and training.
Having MyQ makes it neither easier nor harder to take what a person has - how would the mystery thief even know you have it?

I like the MyQ system ... which is what I thought this thread was about.

TIF2

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Everything is going electronic. Actual keys is soon something from the past only.

Look at banking, who does not bank electronically?  Still glitches there but it's the future.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »

;D 

There will always be crooks, but that doesn't mean we have to make their jobs easy and stress free.

Jerry ;)

There will always be crooks, but that doesn't mean my life can't be easy and stress free.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »

There will always be crooks, but that doesn't mean my life can't be easy and stress free.

I know.  I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone btw, just throwing out an observation that I've thought about many times in the past, because your thread made me think about it again.  We can't protect ourselves from everything that might happen, and lord knows people sure love their toys and conveniences, but I still say people should be informed and those selling the hardware and services should be more responsible for the security of their offerings.  If you've been the victim of any of the major data breaches over the past dozen years like I have, you start to wonder if anyone protects your information in their haste to make more and bigger profits.  After signing up for credit and identity theft protection four times in the last decade, I for one am starting to get pizzed.

Jerry

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »

Here is a recent post on a geek site that highlights Jerry's point about the cars:
Car Hacking is Distressingly Easy

And another:
Keyless BMW Cars Prove to be Very Easy to Steal

And with the proliferation of the Internet of All Things, this will increasingly become a problem.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »

Jerry
I'm with you on us relying on technology running our homes and vehicles. I'm old school so what happens when you loose your phone or someone sees it laying around and steals it? Answer: You're screwed! Same with banking apps.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

Back to one "PLACE" and working garage door. The extra was removed by them I am guessing, as I never got it to delete....All fine after a week with a few emails. I love the MyQ, been good to use to let buddies in without giving them code to house.
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »

Also son doesn't have key, so I get notified anytime him or brother in law go in or out...check toolbox to see what was borrowed....
Will

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »

If you guys are afraid of the electronic future. Don't go flying commercial. You would be amazed what I can do from my iPad connecting with the aircraft I pilot and a Bluetooth connection.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:44 PM »

Here is another interesting article about hacking the Internet of All Things:

Pair of Bugs Open Honeywell Home Controllers Up to Easy Hacks

It is just a matter of time before Liftmaster gets hacked.

Anything that is internet connected is hackable.  Companies are more interested in money and not security.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.