Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Key Fob Lock/Unlock Problem  (Read 6141 times)

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
Re: Key Fob Lock/Unlock Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »

First things first.  Remove the XM antenna and bracket from the module mounting stud and move them as far from the module as possible.  Try the lock fob and see if it now operates.  I would hope that Harley would have specified shielding for a module they mount in very close proximity to a stereo amplifier, other electronics, and speakers with magnets in them, but considering all the other obvious things they didn't think of over the years who knows.  I doubt putting that magnet close to the module would "fry" it, but it may be causing some kind of interference with the signal.  It's worth a try. 

As for bakon's suggestion to mount the XM antenna outside of the fairing, we've had a few discussions about that very thing around here in the past.  I for one think it's a great idea to move it out in the open, like we do on automobiles, for the best possible reception.  As for mounting it, I'm partial to a 3M mounting tape, sold under the Scotch brand as catalog number 4011, exterior grade mounting tape.  It's grey in color with a red peel-off backing, and I use it for all kinds of things.  Even though it says it's permanent, it can be removed with some effort and without damaging the surface in my experience, in case you're worried about that.

Jerry

I think Jerry's on to something.  It's probably interference between the two modules.

Jason
2015 CVO Limited

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »

I did exacly that last night. No luck. Even tried to reprogram the fob. I've ordered a new module that will be here on Friday. In the meantime I've relocated the Sirius antenna to the upper dash. All this because of a crappie antenna location design. Thank you Harley!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »

mine did the same thing I was going to take it in for repair work but for some reason I turned the key switch on in off with the key in it might have looked it with the key or unlocked it i cant rember for sure its been a long time and it started working again and has not give me any more trouble play with the key in the ignition switch and make sure its all the way off it worked for me probley for no reason at all but it does and make sure that the switch is all the way to unlock it just might be your trouble let us know and yes it sounds crazy I know

Vstrut

• TX

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. The new switch comes in tomorrow so I have a backup plan if necessary.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:05 AM »

Well I guess it didn't work for you sorry It was worth a shot.

Vstrut

• TX

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »

I finally picked up the new module, put it in last night, reprogramed the fobs and bingo... it works again. So the only answer I can come up with is I fried the module with the new bracket and magnet for the sirius. Lesson learned.

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »

Thank for the update.  Glad you have it working again.  Also thanks for starting the thread which reminded me that put fresh batteries in my FOB

Jason
2015 CVO Limited

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »

I finally picked up the new module, put it in last night, reprogramed the fobs and bingo... it works again. So the only answer I can come up with is I fried the module with the new bracket and magnet for the sirius. Lesson learned.

I'm happy you got it sorted out, but I still have to wonder about how the original actually failed.  If close proximity to a magnetic field can kill those modules, I'd expect plenty of them to fail considering where they are located.  If you have a friend who is an electronics geek you might want to have him/her see if they can determine the actual failure mode, just to satisfy your and our curiosity.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Vstrut

• TX

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »

Thanks for all of the help. I may have to start another thread as my front right speaker stopped working last night. I pulled the speaker and tested it by plugging it into the left side and it worked. So I'm thinking the Amp went south.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.