Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Zumo Newbie Questions  (Read 30220 times)

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC
Zumo Newbie Questions
« on: November 15, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »

There ya go, Howie.  I was die hard against getting one of these things, but since I've had my ZUMO 550, I can't imagine being without it.  I even take it with me in the truck.  Punch in "NAPA," and it pulls up every one within 100 miles.  Way cool.
I'm without regret for switching to gears, but I do know the new style chain cams and the new style oil pump are leaps and bounds above what was in my engine before the mod.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Henry

OK what is a Zumo 550?                And should I want one?             If It is music for my bike I'm in!

I just called a friend In Northern VT and it is snowing like hell 3" on the ground and 8" on the way tonight at this rate I will snowmobling in December this year great! 

AKA Bubba/ Fruitcake and other choice words
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »

OK what is a Zumo 550?                And should I want one?             If It is music for my bike I'm in!

I just called a friend In Northern VT and it is snowing like hell 3" on the ground and 8" on the way tonight at this rate I will snowmobling in December this year great! 

AKA Bubba/ Fruitcake and other choice words

Zumo 550 is a GPS made by Garmin (click here to see it).

Yes you should want one. IMO

Yes the Zumo has a built in MP3 player.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »

Zumo 550 is a GPS made by Garmin (click here to see it).

Yes you should want one. IMO

Yes the Zumo has a built in MP3 player.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks, Gary!

Yeah FC.  You want one.  I'm a hardheaded convert, and I'm glad I softened up a bit and listened to folks like Fired00d, TCnBham and Silver-Black.  Wouldn't be without it now that I have it.  You can also run XM, weather and traffic through it.  Oh......and you'll want to get a Techmount to mount it to your handlebars since the mount that comes with it is "uglier than a knot on a dog's......hangy down thing."   :P
Seriously, the ZUMO 550 is one of my most favorite additions to my SEUC.  I'm confident you'll feel the same way.

Henry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »

Thanks, Gary!

Yeah FC.  You want one.  I'm a hardheaded convert, and I'm glad I softened up a bit and listened to folks like Fired00d, TCnBham and Silver-Black.  Wouldn't be without it now that I have it.  You can also run XM, weather and traffic through it.  Oh......and you'll want to get a Techmount to mount it to your handlebars since the mount that comes with it is "uglier than a knot on a dog's......hangy down thing."   :P
Seriously, the ZUMO 550 is one of my most favorite additions to my SEUC.  I'm confident you'll feel the same way.

Henry

OK, since I've been ignoring these Zumo threads in the past, clue me in please. What's with the handlebar mounts? Anything else I need to get for it besides that, and the Cycle Gadgets XM mounting plate? I guess I gotta start paying attention to this Zumo stuff now! Thanks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »

OK, since I've been ignoring these Zumo threads in the past, clue me in please. What's with the handlebar mounts? Anything else I need to get for it besides that, and the Cycle Gadgets XM mounting plate? I guess I gotta start paying attention to this Zumo stuff now! Thanks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
I just happen to keep some information handy....

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield (it says it is for a Street Pilot, but the display screen is the same size as the Zumo). Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

MapSource software version 6.13.4 as of September 26, 2007

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.4.2 as of August 6, 2007.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:12 PM »

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield (it says it is for a Street Pilot, but the display screen is the same size as the Zumo). Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.4.2 as of August 6, 2007.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Damn d00d, you gotta be the most organized person I know. All that info in record time! Thanks man! :2vrolijk_21:

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do now!

What's different about installation on the SERK from the FD's. I have 1-1/4" bars. What about power supply, I have no cigarette lighter. Is the audio patch cord you refer to good for installing the 2 amps I'm adding?

Sounds like I better move this discussion somewhere else. This is a cam discussion. d00d, would you mind moving these Zumo posts to a new thread for us Newbie Zumo dudes that are starting from scratch? Thanks so much for all the info. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »

Product Registration

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I guess I'm just too damn slow.  Thanks again, Gary.  You must keep pre-written post to FAQ.  Great job.   :2vrolijk_21:

What he said, Howie.  That Techmount sure is pretty and really adds tons of class to the scooter.  One thing though  30997MC fits 1" bars only, so if you have 1.25" bars, you'' need to get the same mount, but with the 1.25" mounting clamp.  It is listed on the Techmount website.  I found it much easier just to call them.  They had mine on my doorstep in two days.

Henry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

Re: Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »

Holy crap, that guy is fast! Thanks d00d! And thanks Henry! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »

Damn d00d, you gotta be the most organized person I know. All that info in record time! Thanks man! :2vrolijk_21:

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do now!

What's different about installation on the SERK from the FD's. I have 1-1/4" bars. What about power supply, I have no cigarette lighter. Is the audio patch cord you refer to good for installing the 2 amps I'm adding?

Sounds like I better move this discussion somewhere else. This is a cam discussion. d00d, would you mind moving these Zumo posts to a new thread for us Newbie Zumo dudes that are starting from scratch? Thanks so much for all the info. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
That patch cord is to be able to plug the Zumo into the radio on FD's. If I were you I'd check w/someone that already has the setup you are looking to see if you'll need that particular cord. You will need something to carry the audio to your amp/speakers. There should be some switched power supply in the headlight nacelle that you can tie into for power.

Thread has been split and moved.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Howie, for your 1.25" bars, you'll need this mount:  http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=70

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:27:37 PM »

I guess I'm just too damn slow.  Thanks again, Gary.  You must keep pre-written post to FAQ.  Great job.   :2vrolijk_21:

What he said, Howie.  That Techmount sure is pretty and really adds tons of class to the scooter.  One thing though  30997MC fits 1" bars only, so if you have 1.25" bars, you'' need to get the same mount, but with the 1.25" mounting clamp.  It is listed on the Techmount website.  I found it much easier just to call them.  They had mine on my doorstep in two days.

Henry
You know it. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »

Hoist! 8)
Must be your influence rubbing off on me. :lolk:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »

Howie, for your 1.25" bars, you'll need this mount:  http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=70

Ooh, that's nice, I like that Henry. I'm still trying to read up on this stuff, and you guys already have links up for this stuff. Keep it coming, you'll save me some headaches looking for these items. Thanks again! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 06:30:50 PM »

Must be your influence rubbing off on me. :lolk:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Hehe! You mean NYCRR? ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »

Hehe! You mean NYCRR? ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
Being a "RR" is more a necessity of survival in NYC I would think.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 24 queries.