Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece  (Read 5880 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »

I am looking to find a good quality bluetoorh earpiece that is 1/2 helmet friendly.

Hard10 has the Jawbone with the molded earpiece that he likes a lot.

My need is a unit I can use for the breast cancer walks so I can pick up calls while working. The cellphone in the pants pocket doesn't work and all calls are missed before I can pull over to dig the phone out. All I want to do is to be able to answer calls and hear the other person.

Are there any options with a boom mike so I could also talk without having to shut everything down?

Zumo 550....... can bluetooth audio be routed to the radio? Not that I want to buy another GPS right now, but if that's an option....... :nixweiss:

Thanks,

:indian_chief:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »

I am looking to find a good quality bluetoorh earpiece that is 1/2 helmet friendly.

Hard10 has the Jawbone with the molded earpiece that he likes a lot.

My need is a unit I can use for the breast cancer walks so I can pick up calls while working. The cellphone in the pants pocket doesn't work and all calls are missed before I can pull over to dig the phone out. All I want to do is to be able to answer calls and hear the other person.

Are there any options with a boom mike so I could also talk without having to shut everything down?

Zumo 550....... can bluetooth audio be routed to the radio? Not that I want to buy another GPS right now, but if that's an option....... :nixweiss:

Thanks,

Chuck, with my 2820 Garmin unit phone calls won't patch to the radio; only the headset.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »

I have been looking for the same solution...........

not sure why though.......I go on rides to get away from the phone.

I have been able to get my Zumo to connect to my phone, but the mic is the remaining problem.

I was thinking that the Bluetooth module for the radio with connect the phone to the radio which would connect the headset?

A simple bluetooth ear piece may work, but not sure of the noise while riding.

I wait and see who comes up with the solution .
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »

Chuck, with my 2820 Garmin unit phone calls won't patch to the radio; only the headset.

OK. That just makes it less likely a new GPS is in order, which is a good thing.

If I can find a BT unit that accepts a molded earpiece, I think that would be best. So far, the Jawbone is the only one I know of. A boom mike would make that the perfect motorcycle communicator for what I need.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »

Though it isn't an inexpensive solution the Nolan helmets with their bluetooth module and audio kit work very well.  Either directly with the phone or (even better) with the Garmin units as an intermediate device.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

Though it isn't an inexpensive solution the Nolan helmets with their bluetooth module and audio kit work very well.  Either directly with the phone or (even better) with the Garmin units as an intermediate device.

I've tried the Nolans, but they don't make one that fits my head. I tried to find one when we got one for Pinkie, but they're not shaped to fit me.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

I have been looking for the same solution...........

not sure why though.......I go on rides to get away from the phone.

I have been able to get my Zumo to connect to my phone, but the mic is the remaining problem.

I was thinking that the Bluetooth module for the radio with connect the phone to the radio which would connect the headset?

A simple bluetooth ear piece may work, but not sure of the noise while riding.

I wait and see who comes up with the solution .

I understand that and usually I'm the same way. In this situation I need to be reachable by everyone on my crew, which right now is just under forty people. 90% of the time I'm in motion and using the phone as I normally do doesn't work at all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »

I've tried the Nolans, but they don't make one that fits my head. I tried to find one when we got one for Pinkie, but they're not shaped to fit me.

That's something Arai does better.  Chuck, which Nolan models did you try?

If only the N102 would you like to try an N42?

A month or so ago I got an N42 off eBay for $80.  It was cheap enough to give a try thinking it might be a more palatable option for hot weather.  It actually is.  I like the lid a lot.  But to stay with it or spend more on it for the electronics I'd need one size larger.  This one is an XL and it pinches my ears.

I've worn it a total of about four hours.  If you'd like to give it a try let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »

That's something Arai does better.  Chuck, which Nolan models did you try?

If only the N102 would you like to try an N42?

A month or so ago I got an N42 off eBay for $80.  It was cheap enough to give a try thinking it might be a more palatable option for hot weather.  It actually is.  I like the lid a lot.  But to stay with it or spend more on it for the electronics I'd need one size larger.  This one is an XL and it pinches my ears.

I've worn it a total of about four hours.  If you'd like to give it a try let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.

Thanks for the offer, but right now, I'm just looking for a biker-friendly earpiece or headset. I've got the Arai Profile, and yes, they are the ony ones I found that acknowledged us long-oval types. It's the best fitting helmet I have ever had. It actually fits perfectly instead of just being one that I could live with.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »

J&M makes this add on for your Garmin 450/550. Don't know anyone that has used it but J&M claims you can use this with your stock headset/intercomm. So far i think this is the closet Bluetooth set up to Harley discontinued unit.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-HDC-ZMO550&PF=6

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 11:43:40 PM »

i have a Scala Rider bluetooth set up that worked ok before i got the Nolan

it  is designed for a 3/4 or a full face ..but you can probably rig it to an in ear piece somehow

let me know if you are interested

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 12:23:52 AM »

Chuck the jawbone would maybe a good option at LOW speeds as that is what I use in the cage...  Best one I have found so far and I have had a few.
Great noise reduction, I can actually talk to people without them complaining about wind noise and I can also hear fairly well  with it as well. 

What happen to AJ's Harley's bluetooth?  Does he not use the Harley one anymore?  I know the Harley one is pricey but it works well with my setup other than I have to reset it from time to time. 
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 12:41:51 AM »

Chuck the jawbone would maybe a good option at LOW speeds as that is what I use in the cage...  Best one I have found so far and I have had a few.
Great noise reduction, I can actually talk to people without them complaining about wind noise and I can also hear fairly well  with it as well. 

What happen to AJ's Harley's bluetooth?  Does he not use the Harley one anymore?  I know the Harley one is pricey but it works well with my setup other than I have to reset it from time to time. 

As Chuck has said, the Jawbone with the additional custom earpiece is the best I have found so far. I've tried about 11 to date. The newer version is smaller but also carries a smaller battery with less talk time. The earpiece is from Big Ear Inc. and was $75. It works great in the cage but I doubt it would fit Chuck's need.

My HD BT module stopped working about a month ago. Really upset me because I loved it. I was able to use the bike for work instead of having to take the cage. Being that I need to be in constant contact with my customers, I need a reliable means of communication. Unfortunately, the HD unit is no longer working and is now obsolete.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »

I may be missing something here, but don't most of you find talking on the phone and driving in the car distracting, never mind a motorcycle.

I always found it humorous that an issue of holding the car phone while driving was the issue (NOT) it has always been the distraction of concentration.  riding a motorcycle while holding a serious conversation seems just over the top in distractions.

My solution has been the Zumo , it will let me know of incoming call and I see who is calling and I pull over and make the return call. Only takes a couple of min and stops the temptation to hold conversations while riding.

Just a thought.......hate to see someone get hurt because of a phone call. 

I would really hate to go to court trying to defend my actions.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »

I may be missing something here, but don't most of you find talking on the phone and driving in the car distracting, never mind a motorcycle.

I always found it humorous that an issue of holding the car phone while driving was the issue (NOT) it has always been the distraction of concentration.  riding a motorcycle while holding a serious conversation seems just over the top in distractions.

My solution has been the Zumo , it will let me know of incoming call and I see who is calling and I pull over and make the return call. Only takes a couple of min and stops the temptation to hold conversations while riding.

Just a thought.......hate to see someone get hurt because of a phone call. 

I would really hate to go to court trying to defend my actions.

I see holding a conversation via bluetooth no more distracting then holding a conversation with the factory mounted CB.. .In fact i think the CB is a bit more dangerous due to channel scan and push to to talk. The right bluetooth module is pretty safe, all hands free and very covenant in proper situations. And a lot more safer then pulling of the side of California's famous freeways.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.