Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anybody experienced this?  (Read 3198 times)

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
Anybody experienced this?
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »

I have an '09 Ultra and naively thought I could plug a radar detector power supply into the cigarette ligter on the fairing and be merrily on my way.  Didn't work that way yesterday.  Plugged detector into outlet, no power to detector.  Plugged lighter into outlet, lighter heated up.  Plugged detector into car outlet, detector powers up.  Plugged cell phone charger into bike outlet, no charge.  Plugged cell phone into car, everything works.  Plugged lighter back into bike outlet, still warms up.  I know the book has some legalese about power supplies not working in the fairing outlet, but shouldn't a cell phone/gps/detector charger work in the fairing as long as it seats fully into the outlet?  I know I can hardwire it, but I use it so infrequently that I wanted the plug and play convenience.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Re: Anybody experienced this?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »

My gps has always worked.  Assume it was well seated and you wiggled it around some. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »

Has the GPS ever worked in the bike plug?  If not reverse the polarity on the GPS power plug, not the bike plug.  Have seen this several times.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

Has the GPS ever worked in the bike plug?  If not reverse the polarity on the GPS power plug, not the bike plug.  Have seen this several times.

Excellent idea.  First time I've plugged anything other than the lighter into it and I bet you're right.  Why couldn't I just pull the fairing and change the polarity on the lighter versus hacking the detector plug?  I'll pull the fairing tonight and see if I can swap the leads to the lighter just for fun.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:55:43 PM by Jeevz »

wblythe

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »

I went through this as well. Then I  opened up the manual and read that the outlet is not for powering accessories. It is only compatible with the cig lighter.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »

Was there a change? Mine has worked for charging Zumo or cell phone or or. :( Oh mine is an 07 Seuc

wblythe

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »

Really don't know if there was a change or not. But when I did plug my GPS in it stopped working. Though I ruined it. Then cheched the manual and it said don't do that! Going to check into reversing the polarity as well. Won't ever use the cig lighter so might as well. 2010 SESG.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »

I went through this as well. Then I  opened up the manual and read that the outlet is not for powering accessories. It is only compatible with the cig lighter.
Interesting.... Many of us have been using this as a power source for GPS and other accessories. :confused5:

Was there a change? Mine has worked for charging Zumo or cell phone or or. :( Oh mine is an 07 Seuc
Same thing I was wondering... what could've changed?? Like you I've been using it as a power source for my Zumo as has many others. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »

I have an '09 Ultra and naively thought I could plug a radar detector power supply into the cigarette ligter on the fairing and be merrily on my way.  Didn't work that way yesterday.  Plugged detector into outlet, no power to detector.  Plugged lighter into outlet, lighter heated up.  Plugged detector into car outlet, detector powers up.  Plugged cell phone charger into bike outlet, no charge.  Plugged cell phone into car, everything works.  Plugged lighter back into bike outlet, still warms up.  I know the book has some legalese about power supplies not working in the fairing outlet, but shouldn't a cell phone/gps/detector charger work in the fairing as long as it seats fully into the outlet?  I know I can hardwire it, but I use it so infrequently that I wanted the plug and play convenience.

I had a problem with the same symptoms on my 05.  I took it to the dealer and if I remember right, the ground wire on the lighter socket was not tight and caused the problem.  Whatever it was they got it fixed and I haven't had a problem since.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

Used it with a Garmin GPS device on many different HOG Fly & Ride rental E-Glides. Never a problem ...

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

Weird - Just check it with a meter. The positive should be the center terminal and the ground the outer socket.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »

I use it for everything.  I would just check the bike polarity for loose wires, but I would just fix the device plug that does not work.  JMO.  If the lighter works, why remove the fairing?   It's after 5PM and I am drinking and would leave the fairing alone... :drink:
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »

The manual can help and it can only tell you what the Mother Ship wants you to know.  Go for it!!
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'

steve-o

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG Electric Orange & Jet Black
    • CVO2: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO3: 2012 SEUC Electric Orange & Black Diamond
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »

I had the same problem on my 08 ultra. Took a small screwdriver to the neg. contact prongs inside the plug in the fairing. Tighten the contacts a bit & SHAZAMMMM no more problems with charger plugs.

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »

I use it for everything.  I would just check the bike polarity for loose wires, but I would just fix the device plug that does not work.  JMO.  If the lighter works, why remove the fairing?   It's after 5PM and I am drinking and would leave the fairing alone... :drink:

Drinking or not, you're a genius.  ;D  Polarity was reversed on the lighter socket and evidently the lighter itself doesn't care.  The phone charges from the socket and the detector works now that I've swapped the polarity.  I didn't want to mess with the power supplies themselves as they worked in the cars.  Less than 15 minutes to pull the fairing out enough to reverse the wires and put it all back together.  Might have been less than 10 if I didn't keep dropping the bottom screws.  Now, where is that beer...  :drink:

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.