Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: J&M 7.25 speakers  (Read 5661 times)

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
J&M 7.25 speakers
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »

Has anybody ran these speakers and what do you think I have a 04 seeg

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Re: J&M 7.25 speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »

Check this out:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47586.0

I  have the 7.25 along with the amp.  Very pleased.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

Has anybody ran these speakers and what do you think I have a 04 seeg

I went to Dr. V-Twin and Shawn for my 7.25" SERG speakers.  I did the black grills/tweeters.

They installed in about an hour, start to finish.  They are SO much better than the stock speakers.  I did NOT do the amp, just the original HK power supply from the stock head unit.  My wife has me turning down the speakers now while we ride.  The distortion is gone and the volume, even with full bass, is great; more than loud enough for 70/80 mph riding.

I would highly recommend them...  :2vrolijk_21:

At first I wasn't sure about how they hook up, with three speakers in each side, but they have built in crossovers for cutting out the low frequencies to the tweeters and highs to the 7.25" speakers.  It was literally plug n play.

I really like the looks of these.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »

Installed them in my seuc5 and love them. Much cleaner and clearer sound by far.
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »

I just replaced my 6.5" Pioneer 4-way speakers (with adapters) wich everybody thought sounded great today. Oh my gos :bananarock:h! I was a little skeptical of if / how much better they were going to sound, but after I buttoned the fairing back up and turned it on, I was wondering why I didn't do this sooner. They sound amazing, very clear, even at high volume. I have had an Arc Audio amp in it for awhile, but couldn't believe the sound. Great dealings with Dr VTwin, our price for cvo members is $219.95 shipped, can't beat that.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »

I just got mine, and was a little surprised at the size. We've all seen automotive 6-1/2" door mounts, and 6" x 9" rear deck speakers for reference, so when I opened the box, these "7.25"'s seemed rather small in appearance. I took out the ruler and measured exactly 6.25" from the furthest edge of the surround or foam roll ends. The only way I could get any measurement anywhere near 7.25" was going from diagonal bolt holes. I dunno, but the 6-1/2 Polks I put in my truck a while back seem larger - and certainly had much, much larger magnets. It's going to be interesting to see how these sound?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »

It might be like measurin a TV screen,  Your kit has the reducing cones and the foam pads for the outer fairing?   I've had mine side by side with a few differant set ups ie Hawg wired amp and speakers etc etc and by far I'd stick with the J& M's
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:03:43 AM »

Compared to the stockers, the front were definitely a lot bigger. Got everything installed, and it's kind of late to be cranking them up now but they do sound better. The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow on the road.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

I posted on another thread that I am getting them installed in my 2009 SERG right now- the wrench was having problems getting the fairing back on and thought it was the speakers, but now says the foam was causing a problem by where the glove boxes are, so he cut a bit away, and has it back on.

I'm eager to see how much better they are as compared to the Hog Tunes- My bike had the older RG Hog Tunes speakers, along with their amp- they sounded much better than stock, but I wanted a bit more bass and more clarity on the highway, so hopefully I'll have that now.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »

I had a bit of an issue with the foam too. I had to move some of the looms a bit, and then mount each screw and take turns tightening them up slowly. I'm sure the foam will compress just fine in those areas of interference.

Fwiw, the speakers are much better than the stockers. I guess I was expecting a little more, but it's definitely a step up. I think I read a few comments here and elsewhere in that you can pretty much crank these things without any distortion. That is absolutely not the case. Even with a CD, instead of the iPod, at anything over 50% they start distorting noticably, and the sound degrades quickly. Granted, the loudness at this 50% is much higher by perhaps 25% over where the stocker break up, with better highs, and somewhat lower lows. I actually thought the rear speakers improved more so than the fronts?  I suspect the 250w amp would help some, but I'm just scratching my head that it's only a 2 channel amp for a 4 channel set up? I think I'll wait to upgrade the amp until they come out with a 4ch version.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »

I had a bit of an issue with the foam too. I had to move some of the looms a bit, and then mount each screw and take turns tightening them up slowly. I'm sure the foam will compress just fine in those areas of interference.

Fwiw, the speakers are much better than the stockers. I guess I was expecting a little more, but it's definitely a step up. I think I read a few comments here and elsewhere in that you can pretty much crank these things without any distortion. That is absolutely not the case. Even with a CD, instead of the iPod, at anything over 50% they start distorting noticably, and the sound degrades quickly. Granted, the loudness at this 50% is much higher by perhaps 25% over where the stocker break up, with better highs, and somewhat lower lows. I actually thought the rear speakers improved more so than the fronts?  I suspect the 250w amp would help some, but I'm just scratching my head that it's only a 2 channel amp for a 4 channel set up? I think I'll wait to upgrade the amp until they come out with a 4ch version.
Somethin must not be right.  I can crank mine to 100% volume with full bass and full treble and not get one bit of distortion.  On the road the guy behind me can hear my music and I'm not even at full vol.  Now with the new Zumo 665 the MP 3 volume can't even get past 3/4 vol.  One of the best upgrade yet.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 02:57:55 PM »

The connectors only fit on the correct speaker tabs? How can you possibly get it wrong? Are you running the stock amp or the J&M 250w deal?

Don't get me wrong, at ~50% (up to the L or U in the word Volume on the display) it's definitely a good bit louder, and better quality, but any higher than that, it begins to distort. I haven't tried the volume at 100%, but I can't fathom the distortion would improve pushing it further?  I guess different people have different thresholds?  I dunno.  What kind of music are you playing?

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »

Happy with mine.  Full volume sounds fine but I have to back it down with CDs.  Got mine through Dr. V-Twin also.  Like a few I'm waiting on the 4ch amp.  The 250W J&M amp is a great product when hooked up to only the front speakers.  For Street and Road Glides I highly recommend it!
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »

The connectors only fit on the correct speaker tabs? How can you possibly get it wrong? Are you running the stock amp or the J&M 250w deal?

Don't get me wrong, at ~50% (up to the L or U in the word Volume on the display) it's definitely a good bit louder, and better quality, but any higher than that, it begins to distort. I haven't tried the volume at 100%, but I can't fathom the distortion would improve pushing it further?  I guess different people have different thresholds?  I dunno.  What kind of music are you playing?

I experience the same thing with the speakers and amp in my Street Glide.  up to the L or U in Volume on the display.  Definitely a bit louder and clearer - cranks real well when I am stopped or at real slow speed but when I am on highway at anything above about 70 mph I still can't seem to hear it well without a lot of distortion if turned up any higher.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »

I experience the same thing with the speakers and amp in my Street Glide.  up to the L or U in Volume on the display.  Definitely a bit louder and clearer - cranks real well when I am stopped or at real slow speed but when I am on highway at anything above about 70 mph I still can't seem to hear it well without a lot of distortion if turned up any higher.
Yeah, that's pretty much what i'm experiencing. I'm sure that smoother doctors office music can go louder more easily than hard hitting rock, so that might be part of it too. I dunno. I'm happy, but you always want more. Gimme that 4 ch 500w'er already!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.