Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: J&M 7.25 speakers  (Read 5662 times)

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: J&M 7.25 speakers
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »

I dunno,  If we're pullin into a parking lot with a few bikes I've got "Ride of The Valkeries" BLASTIN,  Long trips might go from Pink Floyd to Van Morrisson, or Motown to James Gang, my SD card has 3000 MP3's.  I think you guys might be hearin road noise or wind distortion, me thinks if it's not distorted stationary it's not distorted at road speed.  I don't think there's anything shy headphones that's gonna give clarity at road speed, But I don't know that much, so I'm just sayin. 
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

Opossum, the reason why you can go to 100% is the MP3's are probably at a lower line level.  A good reference is a CD which are much higher quality to begin with, and tend to be in a same line level range. If you have Metallica's Black album, a good acknowledged reference source, see how high you can go with that on track #2 before it starts degrading. That will give you a level playing field.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

I've installed the 7.25" in my SERG without the amp.

I find that I can listen to it as loud as I care to listen without distortion.  Some songs tend to be more problematic than others, but my music tends to go from jazz, Motown, Eagles, James Gang, Linda Ronstat, Aaron Neville, Acoustic Alchemy all without any audible distortion at volumes I ride at.

I will say that in a previous life I had a kick butt Eclipse head unit and Infinity speakers with a Bazooka sub, all separately powered.  This was setup in my '40 Willys coupe with 3" exhaust with a blown 392 hemi.

I could listen to Mary Chapin Carpenter all day in my garage or at a car show and then when I got on the road I about blew my ear drums out because of the piercing "noise" of her voice etc.

My car, and probably lots of the bikes here, had a resonance to the exhaust that cancelled out a lot of frequencies in the music and left just "noise" that was not very nice to listen to.  Some other artists were not as bad, but hers was the worst with her voice and the way they recorded the music.

Flowmaster car mufflers work on the same noise cancelling arrangement to keep the loudness down and the rumble up.

Road noise, air noise, exhaust noise all add to our problem because of the frequencies of the music and our self induced noises.

Noise cancelling headphones are about the only way to ride and have good sounds.

But... I prefer to ride without headphones and listen to the music the best I can.

I really enjoy the upgrade to J&M speakers very much.  I think for the money they are a great investment.  An amp will put a little more piss in the pistons, so to speak, and the of course will be better to fight some of our "extra" noise we have to deal with while riding.

These are just the thoughts of a rambling fool... The above ramblings and 50 cents will by you a soda from our pop machine. 

You see I used soda and pop in the same sentence.  Being from Michigan all I drank was pop.  Now in St. Louis I no longer drink pop, but have switched to soda.  Some days when I want to live life on the edge, I drink soda pop to feel my rebellious side.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »

You see I used soda and pop in the same sentence.  Being from Michigan all I drank was pop.  Now in St. Louis I no longer drink pop, but have switched to soda.  Some days when I want to live life on the edge, I drink soda pop to feel my rebellious side.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks for the laugh. I've got family all around the country and run into the soda/pop controversy too. I even have heard some folks say tonic? I just go with gimme a Coke. If the wife's around, make it a Diet Coke, but don't let her see the splash of Jack.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »

Well my J&M's are in (minus my Hogtunes amp)- I find that there is little to no distortion, even at full volume- way less distortion than the Hogtunes 902.2. I don't think it's loud enough for me though, but that's at highway speeds with the wind noise from my 12"KW, and ear plugs in.

Once I get my amp re-installed, I'm sure it will be plenty loud and clear.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 12:11:58 AM »

Are you going with the J&M 250w?

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »

I just installed these speakers last week on my RG and love them! The best money I ever spent and I dont plan on installing a AMP. I bought them from Phat Motorcyles in Cal. for $219.95.... FREE shipping and no sales tax  :)
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »

I just installed these speakers last week on my RG and love them! The best money I ever spent and I dont plan on installing a AMP. I bought them from Phat Motorcyles in Cal. for $219.95.... FREE shipping and no sales tax  :)

$.02.  If I may quote myself:
      Shawn at DrVtwin sent me one of the first J&M amps for the Road Glide fairing.  Others have written about wanting to upgrade speakers without upgrading the amp.  Trust me, the amp is worth it!    :2vrolijk_21:  While you can get better sound by upgrading speakers, the HD head unit just does not have enough power to give you any dynamic range out of the speakers.  Install of the amp was night and day better. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »

Are you going with the J&M 250w?

No-I bought the bike with the hogtunes 902.2 speakers and a hogtunes amp- I wanted to upgrade the speakers, so I got the J&M's, but the idiot who installed them removed my hogtunes amp, for some unknown reason. So, I am going elsewhere to have the hogtunes amp re-installed.

At least the idiot's mistake allowed me to see what the J&Ms sound like without an amp, and they are almost good enough, so I'm pretty sure the hogtunes amp will be more than sufficient- since the bike already came with this amp, I don't see much sense in spending $350.00 on the J&M amp, and while I'm sure it's louder, it might be overkill for what I want, plus I can think of plenty of things I'd rather buy for the bike with that cash.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »

Hi
   has anyone installed these speakers on the HK advanced system that comes on the cvo ultra classic? currently with stock speakers i have lots of volume but is very tinny sounding. if i also went with the jm amp would it go in line with the current 80 watt channel amp that is on the bike? need to do something or turn off the radio.
thanks for any help
mike

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

I did.  The J&M speakers sound great front and back.  I tried the amp and it rocked the front as long as I didn't splice the signal going to the factory amp.  I wanted all four so I sent the amp back.  If J&M comes up with a 4ch amp I will be one of the first in line and remove the factory amp.  They put some time in the bracket the relocates the XM and Nav modules and mounts the amp above the HK. 

Give Dr. V-twin a buzz if you want anything.  Great bunch of guys and they know what they are talking about because they have the equipment on their own bikes.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »

I had Dr. V Twin install the 7.25 speakers and amp.  What an improvement over stock!  Great sound and now bsr can hear the music even when she wears a full face.  Of course, with a half helmet, sound is the best.

FAST EDDY

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

Has anybody iunstalled hte J & M in a 2004 SEEG with the stock radio?

If so what part number speakers? Thanks

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »

Hi
   has anyone installed these speakers on the HK advanced system that comes on the cvo ultra classic? currently with stock speakers i have lots of volume but is very tinny sounding. if i also went with the jm amp would it go in line with the current 80 watt channel amp that is on the bike? need to do something or turn off the radio.
thanks for any help
mike

I'm not a tech or audiophile, but it's generally true that amps shouldn't be wired in series.  Check with the amp's mfr. or vendor before you do it.  In any event, an amp probably won't do much for the tinny sound you're concerned with.

Carl

DAW

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

My harley parts man said you need to be careful when adding amps to the stock HD radio. he said some amps make it so the handle bar control quit operating, he also said BikeTronics is a very good plug and play system, do the J&M speakers and amp work OK with the handle bar controls?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.