Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD's new Tour Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit INSTALLED  (Read 6105 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
HD's new Tour Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit INSTALLED
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »

Installed the new Tour Pak Brake Light/Run Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit, p/n 69200042 today in an '08 Ultra tour pak.  The installation is described with pictures in this thread:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/558960-installed-w-pictures-tour-pak-turn-signal-conversion-kit.html

A couple of points apart from the installation.  First, the conversion kit works fine and doesn't interfere with the HD run/brake/turn signal module that allows the rear turn signals to function as run and brake lights in addition to turn signals.

Second, the kit can probably be easily adapted for use with LED light bars like the '11 CVO Ultras have.  The critical wire to each rear light comes from a relay and requires the disassembly and reassembly of the non-LED bulb housings.  The two wires from the relay have  connectors compatible with the bulb housing.  Those connectors could be removed easily and the wires spliced to the appropriate wires in the LED panels.

The OP mentioned that his Air Wing luggage rack LED presented some issue which I didn't understand.  My tour pak spoiler LED functions fine with the conversion kit installed.  The Air Wing LED kit came with a Y-harness that allowed the tour pak harness to be split.  I used that previously and continue to use it as explained in the thread shown above.  Basically, the tour pak spoiler LED wiring remain unchanged; and, the connector to the wiring inside the tour pak was disconnected and reconnected to the "auxiliary harness" supplied in the conversion kit.

Very simple installation; about 45 minutes; and, works as advertised.

Carl 

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Re: HD's new Tour Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit INSTALLED
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:03 PM »

Does your Air Wing LED still function as a brake light???  It did before this kit install.  There is a lead that has been removed if you look closely at the connectors.  Have not had time to test by adding the lead that was removed from the harness, but will soon.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »

I have the HD tour pak spoiler LED that continues to function as a run and brake light.  I didn't change any of its wiring when installing the tour pak turn signal conversion kit--it's three wire connector uses one of the two three wire connectors of the Y-harness provided in the Air Wing LED kit; the tour pak light harness that used to be connected to the other three wire connector of the Y-connector was disconnected from the Y harness and connected to the "auxiliary harness" included in the turn signal conversion kit.  The Air Wing LED is probably a three wire (ground, run, brake) device like the tour pak spoiler LED; and probably should function the same.

Don't know about any connector or wire removed other than the red/yellow wires from the tail light bulb housings.

Carl

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »

Thanks for the answer.  Gonna recheck my splitter and connections again.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »

I replaced my tourpack lights with the new led version that has the stop light n the center . It came with a conversion wiring box shown on the parts list that I tried to order separate for a 2010 cvo . There`s no part number listed. Its different than the new conversion kit for incandescent lights.

US.Army.Retired

• Junior CVO Member
  • US Army (Retired)

• CVO1: 2004 Fatboy
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »

The Harness, T-Pack, interface is not sold separately, but it lists the parts needed to make the interface.

73108-96BK   Tap Housing, 8 Position                          Qty 1
73156-96BK   Receptacle, HSG, 6-Position single row     Qty 1
73158-96BK   Receptacle Housing, 8 Position                 Qty 1
73190-96      Tab Terminal, 20-16 ga                           Qty 6
73191-96      Receptacle, Contact, 20-16 Ga                 Qty 12

don't know what the harness looks like, but this is the list to create it.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »

A photograph of the Y-harness is included in the original post's link to hdforums.com and it's HD part no. 70933-10.

Carl

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »

Great post.  This mod seems to really light up the back of the bike.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.