Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics  (Read 28160 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 2011 CVO Street Glide Speaker Boxes Installed w/ pics
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »

Would anyone know the the stock lower fairing speakers 4 ohms or 2 ohms?

Trey

As soon as I get some in I will measure them. They have been on back order since early September...

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »

Jim what keep of speakers are you using on the lowers? and are they 2 ohms?

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »

Jim what keep of speakers are you using on the lowers? and are they 2 ohms?

Trey

Kenwood Co-ax. Inexpensive and temporary until the Hawg-wired 6.5"er are ready. They are 4 ohm speakers.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »

Okay when will HW come out with their 6.5 speak?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »

If you plan to use the HD speaker wire harnesses (two needed) and shown above, the pre-assembled end uses a GM Delphi/Packard GT 150 connector.  I bought two of these mating connectors from Ballenger Motorsports to connect to the HD harness and run the wire from there to the amp:

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/861

I installed them today and they work as designed.  An open barrel crimp tool is used to attach the pins to the wires.

Carl

Edit:  Inserted the correct link.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:33:23 PM by Harleypingman »

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

Looking good  :2vrolijk_21:
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 Anniversary #551 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »

Great install guys.  Good looking and really appears to be a functional modification.   I’m thinking once I get my Fat Cat on I won’t be able to hear my stereo either.

Where did you tap into the HK wire harness?  I'd like to get the rear speakers line level signal off the head unit to drive an amp powering the lower speaker kit.  Is there a harness available or is this an easy tap into the existing harness?

Aren't you worried about water ruining those Infinity Reference and Kenwood speakers?  They certainly aren't made for a wet/damp environment.  Rain is one issue but washing the bike sure would give them a bath.

I'm interested how you ran the wire harness for the speakers.  Were you able to hide this well?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

I have the non-Ultra overlay harness (p/n 70169-06) on the bike which provides the rear speaker output signals.   If you have an Ultra, the HK rear speaker outputs are accessible.  If you don't have an Ultra and don't want to buy the NUOH, you can fab your own harness/connector if you only want to use the rear speaker pin-outs.  You can use this website to find the parts you need to make your own:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/harleydavidsonparts.htm

With the older style vented lowers (pre-'10) with the relatively lengthy caps covering the engine guard, most of the wire is concealed under the fairing cap along the engine guard on my bike.  Hopefullly, someone will run the speaker wires inside the engine guard and post a "how to" thread, including drilling the speaker boxes.  As for water on the speakers, their durability remains to be seen.  Having had the Hogtunes kit, I'll remove the grilles and dry the speakers which is what HT says to do.  Like the inner fairing, I won't shoot water directly at the speakers.  If it becomes a problem, I'll probably buy HD's speakers or look for some marine grade speakers as replacements.

Carl

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »

Thanks for the response Carl.

I have a 2008 CUSE3.  I like this idea a lot.  Ideally preamp outs on the back of the HK head unit would be the way to go.  That way I could select an amp and speaker combination for this lower modification and not worry about the ridicules 2 ohm junk Moco installed.  Basically I would leave my HK head unit and amp driving what is there already and add an additional amp and speakers to the lower as you did.

When you tapped into the Moco harness for signal to your amp did you run into any line noise?  Whining or other sound anomalies in your speakers?

Thanks,
  - John

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

John, I don't have any noise or other issues with the rear speaker connections.  Trey767 is doing a similar install to what you are contemplating on his Ultra and may have some additonal information on wiring with the OEM amp, and four speakers already on the bike.  Also, you can check with hd-dude and Tony at Iron Cross Audio who are pros.

Carl

IMAbadman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »

The way I’m going to go will be with the preamp outputs off the HK head unit.  Seems like Iron Cross is the place to go for this, actually the only place to go for this it seems.  I’ll run these into a 4 channel amp driving the fairing in a front channel configuration and the lowers in a rear channel configuration.  The touring pack speakers will continue to be driven by the stock HK amp.  By doing this I feel I’ll have the cleanest signal to the amp and best control over volume from fairing to lower.

Now waiting to see this 4-channel 500w amp I hear J&M talking about and the 6.5” Hawg Wired speakers.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »

John, sounds like a great project.  ICA had my head unit for a software repair, and I initially ordered the AUX rear output and the four channel pre-amps then changed my mind since I didn't think I'd ever add an amp. ::)  Also, I orignally thought before I installed the fairing lower speakers that I'd replace the Arc 125.2 amp with a four-channel amp for the fairing and fairing lower speakers, but having had the bike long enough to have the HK head unit drive the fairing speakers and the amp drive the fairing lower speakers I doubt I'll be buying the four channel amp; the current set-up is plenty loud  and clear enough for me.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »

Since the original installation, I've increased the gain settings on the Arc 125.2 amp to just shy of their midpoint.  This raises the volume of the signal from the amp to the speakers, and allows the fader to be adjusted to reduce the volume setting on the head unit which reduces the load on the HK radio's amp.  In short, same sound coming from the speakers with less stress on the HK radio's amp without putting a high load on the Arc amp.

With the adjustments made since initially installing and wiring the speaker lowers, the mod has been even better than before, and far better than my expectations.

Carl

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

Hi Carl, that Arc amp how big is it? I have so much crap on top of that radio already, XM/Ipod.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »

The J&M amp is the same amp as the Arc 125.2 re-labeled and with the gain, crossover, and bass adjustments covered by J&M's label; but, with the J&M you get mouting brackets that will accommodate the XM and CB modules and a wiring harness for plug and play installation.

Carl

EDIT:  The J&M amp now has the gain and other amp adjustments on the side of the amp.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:32:33 PM by Harleypingman »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.