Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface  (Read 24979 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »

I just bought and installed the HD unit. I was afraid to do any after market unit tied into the Harmon Kardon, because of any problem that might arise within the stock stereo or it's  components. I know from experience that  corporate Harley would  blame the problem on the aftermarket unit, and deny warranty coverage. I did not want to take any chances on my 7 year warranty. JMO. I certainly would have preferred the aftermarket unit, and could have used the saved money to buy more accessories.
corporate harley has nothing to do with the extra 5 year warranty.  Only the first two are provided by the factory and need to be performed at a dealership . The extention is a third party and work can be done at any authorized repair facility. Even still the installation of an aftermarket part does not affect your warranty unless is directly causes the failure.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:18 AM »

When do you anticipate coming out with the mods you mentioned above?

I was told that  the next production run will have the cable mod at the unit. The ipod cable is coming in after the first of the year. Neither of these items are a deal breaker in my opinion.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »

corporate harley has nothing to do with the extra 5 year warranty.  Only the first two are provided by the factory and need to be performed at a dealership . The extention is a third party and work can be done at any authorized repair facility. Even still the installation of an aftermarket part does not affect your warranty unless is directly causes the failure.

And it would be up to ME to prove that the aftermarket part did not cause the failure. Like I stated it is just MY opinion that it would be to easy for them to get out of a warranty claim.  Being an auto tech by trade, I have dealt with this type of thing many times over the years. I did not feel in my case, that it was worth the possibility of brain damage to me. It probably would never be an issue, but remember who is doing that warranty work.  Has anyone ever had any problems trying to get warranty work done at any Harley dealer?  Or is it just me?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:58:39 AM by 2harleys »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »

Props to the vendor for providing an alternative to HD's typically over-priced audio accessories.

And props to hd-dude for the pictures and installation information, especially the install above the CB and XM modules on the CVO Ultra.

A couple of observations:  (1) the current product with the male-male 35 wire connector is what's needed for HK radios w/o an existing 35 wire connector on the bike; i.e. OEM Street Glides, Electra Glide Classics, etc.; which excludes the CVO models, all of which have a 35 wire connector (28B) connected to the HK radio--on CVO bikes the current male-male connector adds an additional bundle of unnecessary wires; and, (2) on a CVO, no separately purchased harness is required for the HD Ipod accessory since the accessory includes a harness for installation--a separately purchased harness is only required for installation on bikes not equipped with the 35 wire connector, 28B connector (e.g. non-CVO Street Glides, Electra Glide Classics, etc.) and the harness is the $20, p/n 69200033--the $110 harness referenced by the OP isn't used for the HD Ipod accessory installation.

Iron Cross Audio did a side-by-side comparison of the aftermarket Ipod module with HD's module.  Contact Tony for details:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/ipod-harleydavidsonradio.html

Thanks, again, to hd-dude for the thread, pics, and information.

Carl   

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »

I'm wonderin if To :2vrolijk_21:ny might post the side by side comparison info here .. ie... the volume loss on Moco unit in the ipod function ..thanx

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »

do these guys have anything for gps interface kit?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »

do these guys have anything for gps interface kit?

Not that I am aware of.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

Had Jim install this for me last week...  GREAT add on for your bike!!  And as always, GREAT service from Jim.  :2vrolijk_21:

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Chuck .. how bout an on the scene report of the new version ?? of special interest is .. the volume issue in the ipod function and what did Jim do on getting it in the sbag ?? or where did you place the nano or phone ?? hope to get mine in next week .. Thanx  :2vrolijk_21:

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »

Chuck .. how bout an on the scene report of the new version ?? of special interest is .. the volume issue in the ipod function and what did Jim do on getting it in the sbag ?? or where did you place the nano or phone ?? hope to get mine in next week .. Thanx  :2vrolijk_21:

Barefoot... was not aware of any volume issues. No problems with mine. One thing that that "might" seem odd if this is your first time using this type of device with Apple products... the volume output for all Apple devices using 3rd party items like this is the output volume is LOCKED on the iPod/iPhone/etc. Not sure that was your issue but this is SOP for Apple.

I mount my iPhone on the handle bars myself not in the bag as HD does. For me, I like having it in front of me since it's my phone. Jim did say the cable that comes with these kits are REALLY tight if you want to locate in the bag or TP but he has made it work just fine.

Here's a few photos of my RAM Mount for my phone and Garmin.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

Closer shot of the phone location.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:28 AM »

Thanx Chuck ..  I am lookin  forward to havin the xtra functions on the handlebars as well as not losing its place after setting without power for awhile..  also.. mine will go back in the sbag , as I am jus using the nano . wish they already had the connection back so as to be able to detach as easily as the OEM for removal of sbag for cleaning and such .. oh well . word is ... its in the worx..  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:29:19 AM by barefoot3zk5 »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

I mounted my Nano with velcro inside the right hand lowers. Took lower apart to run cable thru next to chrome crash bar. Very clean install and barely noticeable where cable goes thru

dankwiz

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »

I purchased this unit for my 2009 CVO Ultra and was very impressed with the quality of it all.  Unfortunately, I elected to not install it as I am contemplating the purchase of a new bike.  I contacted Mark at HDPD and explained that I would like to return it.  He was more than willing to accommodate me.  Bottom line, he didn't have to take the return, he could have charged me a restock fee or he could have gave me the run around.  He did none of it.  I cannot tell you how impressed I am with him and his company.  He is the type of vendor we should all be supporting.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »

Does anyone know what happens when you run out of space for the complete list of devices on the HK?

Currently mine is full but I want to add the HDPDPLUS iPod Interface... Mine looks like this:

AM               WB
FM               AUX
CD               XM

I did the rear AUX mod so now AUX is always displayed. So now I'm wondering where the "iPod" selection will show up on my radio display?

Does anyone know???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.