Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: back off module & center tour pack brake light  (Read 5677 times)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
back off module & center tour pack brake light
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »

Has anyone wired the back off light modulator to run just the center brake light on a LED tour pack. I have had some friends following me not realize that i put the brakes on with everything lite up on the backend. didn't cause and close calls just a couple ppl mentioned it. granted they should have been watching me and not day dreaming or what ever.  I have installed the kit to get the corner LED'S to flash as turn signals and work as brakelight also. was wondering if anyone knows if it will work or if there will be any glitchs. if you did wire it this way which wire is for the center brake light. wiring is not my strong area of knowledge hahaha. thanks for any input Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: back off module & center tour pack brake light
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »

I'm also interested in a reply on this. Been on the fence for one of these for about a week now.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »

Ohiobellboy it works. I ordered the back off XP module, and after turning the wiring diagram 6different ways and using a test light 12 times. I cut a wire.hahaha. on the factory wiring harness the center light which also has the plug for the luggage rack brake light its the red wire with a yellow stripe. On the kit that I got from one of the members here"his handle escapes me right" that makes the corner lights work as brake/turn signals it was the yellow wire from the box to the plug for the center light. Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »

I've been running this combo for almost three years now. I had the module on my '08 SERK and kept it when I traded in the bike on a new '09 SERG. I bought the chopped tourpak and added the spoiler right away. It works great and was easy to hook up. My tail/brake lights function correctly and the Backpoff gets me three flashes with a hold and then repeats. It's been so long now, but I do believe there are a few different patterns to choose from.

I also had a headlight modulator that gets lots of attention. I've had people on the freeway change lanes when they see me behind them. You can't be too visible...

Good luck with the Backoff' I would highly recommend any option to be better noticed.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

Ohiobellboy it works. I ordered the back off XP module, and after turning the wiring diagram 6different ways and using a test light 12 times. I cut a wire.hahaha. on the factory wiring harness the center light which also has the plug for the luggage rack brake light its the red wire with a yellow stripe. On the kit that I got from one of the members here"his handle escapes me right" that makes the corner lights work as brake/turn signals it was the yellow wire from the box to the plug for the center light. Smkblwr
Sounds good. I'll have to go shopping for one now.

codten

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »

why not just use something like this.  http://www.customdynamics.com/magic_led_flasher.htm   
Seems simple enough.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »

why not just use something like this.  http://www.customdynamics.com/magic_led_flasher.htm   
Seems simple enough.

That's interesting. Hadn't run across that one.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Re: Re: Re: back off module & center tour pack brake light
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

Seems simple enough.
So I checked it out since your last post and decided to go with it. Ordered it this morning and got a tracking number already. Great service so far. I'll try to do a write up on the install. NOTE* this unit is only for the tour pack LED lights.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:48:34 AM »

Ohiobellboy, when you get it would you take and post some install pics for those of us who have not done it yet, so we can learn from you? Also, what's an MB860? Thanks

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:57:51 AM »

Ohiobellboy, when you get it would you take and post some install pics for those of us who have not done it yet, so we can learn from you? Also, what's an MB860? Thanks
Sure will. I think I'm going to the local dealer today to see about buying some pigtails to make it a plug and play unit. If not, It's cut/solder/shrink wrap time.

MB860 is the At&t Atrix first generation. For some reason, this forum's version of TAT will not let me use my customized siggy from my phone.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking Mercedes Benz, but never heard of an 860. :)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »

Seems simple enough.

ok, installed it. Taking it back out. $18 down the tube but I've wasted more than that in bars. With  this unit the brakes look great,,,,, it's just that you lose your running lights on the middle bar and I'd really like to have that back. I tried a separate ground for the running lights but it just reverts the brake lights back to normal and I don't feel like wiring up a relay to get it all functioning the way I think it should.

codten

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »

Thank you for the info.

There are 3 wires going to the lisght assembly(middle) Im assuming 1 is ground 1 is running and 1 is brake.    Is that correct?  If so this module must control the flash by interupting the ground side.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

Thank you for the info.

There are 3 wires going to the lisght assembly(middle) Im assuming 1 is ground 1 is running and 1 is brake.    Is that correct?  If so this module must control the flash by interupting the ground side.
You're correct on the wiring. Not too hard to find the brake wire. It's the odd color AFTER the connector.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I didn't bother to run a test light to the output leads to confirm that though. What I did do was run a ground from the steel TP mounting plate (it's grounded) to the tail lights and it caused the flasher module to be useless. Brakes acted normal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:28:36 AM by Ohiobellboy »

codten

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »

I just ordered this module. 
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_brake_light_flasher.htm

I verified that it uses the brake lights positive connection.  I have not decided if I am gong to hook it up before the main connector to flash all of the tourpak lights or after, to only flash the center section.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Jeffrey

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »

I just ordered this module. 

I verified that it uses the brake lights positive connection.  I have not decided if I am gong to hook it up before the main connector to flash all of the tourpak lights or after, to only flash the center section.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Jeffrey
Yes, Please do. This is something I'd like to get done.
Thanks

codten

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

Just returned from vacation...

I ordered the magic strobe universal..

Directions are pretty straight forward.  I isolated the center tour pak led brake light feed.  There are 3 sets of wires going into a single connector.  The center light section is the larger of the three.   The blue wire the the break lead(verify before cutting).

Follow the directions red to input white to led light assembly side and black to ground.  for the ground I put a connector on the wire and connected it to the plate in the bottom of the tour pak assembly.

After verifying that it worked, I decided to add in the light from the luggage rack as well. Same process isolated the brake lead(red) cut and spliced into white wire out of module.  You really cant see it in the video.

There are several settings I chose number 8 which is a strobe for 5 seconds and then solid.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:30:52 PM by codten »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »

That's what I was looking for. Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

oldrider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »

So I have a 2013 Ultra Classic CVO.  To wirethe backoff xp so that the tour pac and the main brake light works, you have to deal with two different brake electrical circuits.  The main rear light, and since I have added the bumper and lower fender light, can be picked up  next to the battery and just coming up from the rear fender.  Find that harness and you can tap into it with the red, black and in my case the red and white wire at that point.  Now the center tour pac light is a little different as it runs from the main tour pac grommet (left bottom), and up a wiring sheath on the left hand frame.   What I did was put a small hole in that sheath and fished a red wire into the tour pac.  Since I did not want my luggage rack wing led lights to flash, I tapped into the Harley red/yellow light that runs into the tour pac center light. Not real hard, maybe one beer.  Now my tour pac light flashes along with the main stop light and my fender light.    If you want the tour pac wind led light to flash as well, just tap into the line as it comes out of the grommet and before it splits to the center and led light.  Pretty easy.  I put the actual model under the drivers backrest attachment point so nothing interferes.  Clean set up.   What would be really slick, if the the signal dynamics people made a plug and play harness.  Seems like it would be easy to do and I would pay the extra money for it.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 09:55:01 PM »

Gentlemen,

You guys may find this part shown below from CD interesting.  I've got the BCM module already for my CD LED turn signals and it works flawlessly.  I believe it's a pre-requisite for using the module pictured below.
I've been thinking about pulling the plug on this tour pak module for a while now, especially since my pulsing brake lights aren't visible when I'm pulling the Bushtec behind me.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »

I installed the custom dynamics module on the Street Glide thing works great. Cars coming up behind me now when I'm stopped at a light or sign slow way down and most times stop a couple car lengths back. Sorta funny really......
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.