Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Garage Door opener - not compatible!  (Read 5723 times)

J B

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG CC
HD Garage Door opener - not compatible!
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »

Emailed Chamberlain's support after much frustration - apparently there are new encryption guidelines that limit compatibility on newer openers.
Symptoms were:
When I wired the HD receiver unit to the wall panel it would just reset the clock on the wall panel
When I wired it to the opener itself nothing happened at all.

Not sure how to find out if different brands are using these parameters or what, but I'm fairly convinced my HD unit will not work with this one-year old Chamberlain opener (model HD920EV - even has HD in the model number  ???

try this first:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66441.0

but if that fails you'll probably have to do this:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66187.0
(grc's reply)

2010 SESG CC
Feuling Reaper Cams
Fullsac Cores
Wild 1 Bagger Apes
CycleSmiths Banana Boards
Walter's Workshop Extended Levers
Kuryakyn Plate Frame
LED Light Show by Metal Dragon
Seating by Corbin
Sound by Hawg Wired

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: HD Garage Door opener - not compatible!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

Emailed Chamberlain's support after much frustration - apparently there are new encryption guidelines that limit compatibility on newer openers.
Symptoms were:
When I wired the HD receiver unit to the wall panel it would just reset the clock on the wall panel
When I wired it to the opener itself nothing happened at all.

Not sure how to find out if different brands are using these parameters or what, but I'm fairly convinced my HD unit will not work with this one-year old Chamberlain opener (model HD920EV - even has HD in the model number  ???

try this first:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66441.0

but if that fails you'll probably have to do this:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66187.0
(grc's reply)

You can make it work if you ditch the "smart" wall panel and just use a simple button to operate the opener.  I didn't care to give up all the features that come with that fancy wall panel (time/temp/battery state of charge/programming optional features/motion detector to turn on lights/ etc.), so I just did away with the Harley system, mounted a Chamberlain remote inside my fairing, and ran a wire to a switch mounted next to my spot light switch.

If I had wanted to really keep both the Harley system and the fancy wall panel, I suppose a little detective work would have revealed the nature of the actual signal the wall panel supplies to the opener to open the door and then we could come up with a way to modify the output of the Harley receiver to supply that same signal.  But I didn't bother because I've never been terribly happy with the Harley system in the first place.  Poor range was my biggest complaint, sometimes having to get within 50 feet to trigger the door and sometimes having a dead spot even within a few feet of the door.  With my "Chamberlain remote in the fairing" system, I can open the door from 300 feet away consistently.

Maybe Harley should just try easing into the 21st century and install Homelink in the bikes.  Comes standard on a lot of $25k and up automobiles and pickup trucks, can't imagine why Harley couldn't put it on a $38k motorcycle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

IsItFast?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »

Sorry for bringing an old topic back to life but I ran into the same problem.  There is a simple solution if you have a soldering iron and a spare remote for the garage door. 

All the Harley receiver is doing is shorting the two wires to trigger the door. 

1 - open the chamberland remote
2 - pop out the board
3 - solder the ends of the Harley wire to sw1 pins. 
4 - snap it all back together, plug in the Harley receiver anywhere (literally should work from anywhere in the house now :)

Enjoy using all the new features of your new garage door and still get to use the Harley opener!

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »

Definitely going to give this one a try thanks.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

I like uour solution!  I'm doing that! i've wanted to use my opener but issues with the operation have stopped me.

RussG69

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 #216
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »

I did the same and opened up my Chamberlin opener and soldered the wire to it then mounted it in the fairing. Then attached it to a trip reset switch.

RussG69

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 #216
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »

Pic in the fairing

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

Got home tonight and decided to try what "Isitfast?" said with a remote. Worked like a charm. Thank you so much for making this work for us. Just added a little more solder on the wire then held the wire and soldering iron on the contacts that were indicated in the picture.  :orange: :pepper: :pineapple: :cucumber: :jalapeno:

lynyrd1959

• CVO1: '13 Anniversary CVO Screamin'Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »

Sorry for bringing an old topic back to life but I ran into the same problem.  There is a simple solution if you have a soldering iron and a spare remote for the garage door. 

All the Harley receiver is doing is shorting the two wires to trigger the door. 

1 - open the chamberland remote
2 - pop out the board
3 - solder the ends of the Harley wire to sw1 pins. 
4 - snap it all back together, plug in the Harley receiver anywhere (literally should work from anywhere in the house now :)

Enjoy using all the new features of your new garage door and still get to use the Harley opener!

Thank you very much for helping with this.  I was so frustrated with the one on my 03 Road King that I gave up.  Now the one on my CVO works perfectly!
I REALLY appreciate all the help.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.