Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Add tour pak to my street glide, now what antenna to use?  (Read 5808 times)

philgrocks

Add tour pak to my street glide, now what antenna to use?
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »

I got a detachable tour pak for my CVO street glide.   Great for when I need more space for the junk.

I tried a hidden antenna in the past and was not happy with the performance.  I was thinking perhaps a short antenna that fits under the tour pak would suffice.  Any suggestions?

phil

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Add tour pak to my street glide, now what antenna to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »

The new hd hidden is pretty good.  Better than the shorty that comes with the sg.  I would recommend that one. Easy to install too.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

I used this idea on my street glide (from Brian ufo-hog) it is "almost" hidden and seems to work just fine. AM was never great with the oem antenna and will not be better with this. Our local FM stations work great however. Was $20 with shipping from Am..zn. "Lund 81055 Billet Antenna and Adapter"  Screws right into the oem mount. 
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

Invert it down past the inside of the muffler.  While it's not 100 percent as effective, I can live with 90-95 percent.  :2vrolijk_21:

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »

My Street glide has a detachable tour pak. I just used the antenna mount on the pac with the shorty antenna... Don't see any difference when the pac is off and I run the tall antenna... Just had to use a kit to adapt a cable from the under fender mount up into the pac...

jb

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:11:29 AM »

That's the one I was talking about.  That one works pretty good.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:11:53 PM by cvostu »

shwnoff1

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »

My Street glide has a detachable tour pak. I just used the antenna mount on the pac with the shorty antenna... Don't see any difference when the pac is off and I run the tall antenna... Just had to use a kit to adapt a cable from the under fender mount up into the pac.

Could u send a pic of ur antenna connection? I have 2012 street glide with pak and the bracket that i have when all hooked up the antenna wire lays agains the shock.Trying to find a different way to hook up connection.  Thanks

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »

The new hd hidden is pretty good.  Better than the shorty that comes with the sg.  I would recommend that one. Easy to install too.
I concur....And nothing to fiddle with when putting on/off the TP.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

My Street glide has a detachable tour pak. I just used the antenna mount on the pac with the shorty antenna... Don't see any difference when the pac is off and I run the tall antenna... Just had to use a kit to adapt a cable from the under fender mount up into the pac.

Could u send a pic of ur antenna connection? I have 2012 street glide with pak and the bracket that i have when all hooked up the antenna wire lays agains the shock.Trying to find a different way to hook up connection.  Thanks

I've searched my photos for one that shows it and can't find a single clear picture. I'll do my best to discribe it. I'm nowhere near the bike for a while.

I don't know why, but I remember putting a different bracket in place of the stock Harley antenna mount. I think it came with the kit. Anyway, it moves the antenna out so it is a straight shot out the hole on that pannel between rear fender and saddlebag. Then an adapter screws onto the antenna treaded mount. Attached to that is a screw on antenna with with a 90 degree angle. I route that cable up behind my removable tour pac bracket and up under the tour pac. It's held in place by a zip tie. Then the cable goes up and out from under the tour pac to the front of the tour pac where in goes into the tour pack thru a hole with a gromet on it (behind the tour pacs passenger backrest). From inside the pac it goes to the shorty antenna mount on the left rear of the tour pac.

To remove the tour pack I just unscrew the wire at the mount adapter by fender, and pull everything off together. Then I remove the threaded adapter and put the stock antenna on the original mount.

Looks great but would be better if I could find some chrome zip ties, LOL...

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »

I'm running the newer HD hidden antenna on my bike. 85% of the regular antenna, but I use the ipod most of the time. Plus it's one less thing to deal with when swapping out the TP, and its a cleaner look.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.