Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Are Harley-Davidsons Too Reliable?  (Read 9173 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Are Harley-Davidsons Too Reliable?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »

I almost spit coffee on the screen reading the last paragraph....the bolding is from me, not the article...

"The used-Harley market isn’t going anywhere, but if all goes as planned, it will have a whole new crop of customers by the time boomers take off their leather chaps and coast into the old-folks’ home."

I don't know about you guys/gals but my plan is to ride until the Lord calls me home.  I enjoy the blurb at the bottom of all the posts from our buddy from Augusta, 16HD110, which states:

"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy crap, what a Ride!"

Well said and phooey to Mr. Kyle Stock... ;D

mark

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »

So the HD spin is...that since Harleys are so reliable, that reliability has caused the used market to cut into new sales?  The poorly informer reporter that penned this article should have asked: If true, why wasn't this happening in the 1990s?  During that period, dealers couldn't keep bikes in stock and the used market was booming.  Why didn't those used bikes cut into your sales then?

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »

How about a new title?

Bikers find older Harley-Davidson motorcycles more reliable then the over-priced, failure-prone newer models that lack imagination

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »

How about a new title?

Bikers find older Harley-Davidson motorcycles more reliable then the over-priced, failure-prone newer models that lack imagination

:oops: :nixweiss:
Ding Ding Ding winner :drink:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: hd is to reliable for there own good!!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Bike has 13,000 miles on it, 9 months old and bent valves.  Having my mechanic bullet proof the motor.. Draw your own conclusions..

Sorry to hear that, my 15 SERGU has 31K trouble free on it.  A friends has more than that. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
Re: hd is to reliable for there own good!!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »

Sorry to hear that, my 15 SERGU has 31K trouble free on it.  A friends has more than that.

:2vrolijk_21:Thanks Dave. It's nice to hear both sides of the story. I only have 17k trouble free miles on my 15 SESG, but put 47k on my old SG with only paying $50 deductible for a new comp during those fun-loving miles! I do make sure and regularly maintain with synthetic oil.

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Bike has 13,000 miles on it, 9 months old and bent valves.  Having my mechanic bullet proof the motor.. Draw your own conclusions..
Please don't get me wrong when I posted this I was not jumping on the bandwagon bashing the MoCo)  as I have owned Harley's for years and I will continue to own them..The Moco fixed the bent valves without question and I appreciate that.  My issue is that in my heart I felt the parts they used originally and as replacements are of a substandard quality..it was my decision to have my mechanic yank the motor and replace what we feel are substandard parts.  I have voided the warranty by doing this and I am ok with that.  Every piece of mechanical equipment breaks and I understand that, it just seems the there flagship bikes (cvo's) break more than usual..
Hopefully this will be addressed by the new regime so  HD will reign supreme and the reliability will be once again be one of the main focuses of the company
Thanks,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »

Please don't get me wrong when I posted this I was not jumping on the bandwagon bashing the MoCo)  as I have owned Harley's for years and I will continue to own them..The Moco fixed the bent valves without question and I appreciate that.  My issue is that in my heart I felt the parts they used originally and as replacements are of a substandard quality..it was my decision to have my mechanic yank the motor and replace what we feel are substandard parts.  I have voided the warranty by doing this and I am ok with that.  Every piece of mechanical equipment breaks and I understand that, it just seems the there flagship bikes (cvo's) break more than usual..
Hopefully this will be addressed by the new regime so  HD will reign supreme and the reliability will be once again be one of the main focuses of the company
Thanks,
That seems to be true, the new motor sizes and upgrades are beta tested on the CVO bikes.  Also from what I see, most CVO owners tend to ride their bikes more miles per year.

Yes harley loosed tolerance which make the chance of a failure more likely.  They have used crappy lifters for years.

I did not think you were bashing HD.  I have had many HD's and in the future will get another new one.  Yet I have been pissed as heck about the head unit in the rushmore bikes. 

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not trying to discount anyone else’s experience with HD’s. I just feel there are two sides to it, and quite honestly I believe one side is underrepresented on this forum!
As far as blowing up engines go… I have blown up six engines in my SS396 69 Chevelle (five of those were small blocks after replacing the big-block), as well as untold numbers of motorcycle engines from various manufacturers. These were blown-up either racing or playing, but in none of these cases did I jump up and down and blame the manufacturer, or espouse how bad of a design the small block Chevy engine was, or any of the motorcycle engines.

I’m also NOT saying that everyone in this thread is bashing HD. Although I feel there are some on this website that have some sort of chip on their shoulders against HD. I’m just saying I can blow up any damn engine no matter how well it is designed!!!! That includes engines built and designed by anyone on this planet! Nothing is perfect. I’m happy with my bike.

I personally believe that HD’s head-unit is probably the best “factory” motorcycle unit offered at the moment. At least I love mine. Although I haven’t bothered researching any others being offered, mostly because I have no complaints of any consequence with mine. I appreciate riding my bike and those experience of the ride. The extra comforts of the electronics are just exactly that for me… extras that are nice on occasion, but it is all about the ride for me. The wind in my face, and the exploration and freedom and forced disconnection from all the other REAL issues in modern life. Even though those “disconnections” are just temporary, they are beneficial to my sanity, and contribute to my happiness. All this bashing is just an attempt by other’s to bring me down from my high. :P

Glock

• Junior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

Glad you are high. :P
Just responding to the OP.. Ride long enough things are bound to break..This is my second CVO and both have had motor issues in and around the same mileage.  This time I have decided to take matters into my own hands (well actually is the hands of my mechanic).  Both bikes were on regular maintenance schedules, fluids were Amsoil (20-50 motor, primary  & 75/140 severe gear oil transmission).  Ridden with care, but not babied.  This time bike broke 3/4 mi from house as I was heading down to Florida..
I hope you never have a motor issue on your ride, but for me the confidence level of the longevity of the motor is at an all time low..Maybe both of my bikes were built on the second Monday of the month? :D
With all the work I am having done on the motor there is a chance the first time I twist the throttle it could break...
Ride safe and far everyone..

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »

Glad you are high. :P
Just responding to the OP.. Ride long enough things are bound to break..This is my second CVO and both have had motor issues in and around the same mileage.  This time I have decided to take matters into my own hands (well actually is the hands of my mechanic).  Both bikes were on regular maintenance schedules, fluids were Amsoil (20-50 motor, primary  & 75/140 severe gear oil transmission).  Ridden with care, but not babied.  This time bike broke 3/4 mi from house as I was heading down to Florida..
I hope you never have a motor issue on your ride, but for me the confidence level of the longevity of the motor is at an all time low..Maybe both of my bikes were built on the second Monday of the month? :D
With all the work I am having done on the motor there is a chance the first time I twist the throttle it could break...
Ride safe and far everyone..
Well I just had dinner and a couple of stouts, and maybe more capable of feeling your pain. I really hope your new motor lasts longer and provides more fun. No doubt I would not be a happy camper if I started out on a fun expedition and had the bike die on me. I know I was pretty pissed when my wife's Honda Goldwing Trike broke shortly after we set off on a trip.  >:( You see it isn't only HD's that have issues. Fact is it is just part of life... sucks sometimes. Like you I just dealt with it as best as I could and quickly moved on to do what is most important... enjoyed the rest of the trip! Enjoy your hopefully improved bike and have a blast!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »

I personally believe that HD’s head-unit is probably the best “factory” motorcycle unit offered at the moment. At least I love mine. Although I haven’t bothered researching any others being offered, mostly because I have no complaints of any consequence with mine. I appreciate riding my bike and those experience of the ride. The extra comforts of the electronics are just exactly that for me… extras that are nice on occasion, but it is all about the ride for me. The wind in my face, and the exploration and freedom and forced disconnection from all the other REAL issues in modern life. Even though those “disconnections” are just temporary, they are beneficial to my sanity, and contribute to my happiness. All this bashing is just an attempt by other’s to bring me down from my high. :P

Curious as to how much you use the GPS, before the last update?  How many time zones have you crossed?  Dang GPS headunit thinks Part of SD is Pacific Time or Western KY is Mountain time, or East TN and GA are different time zones, when they are the same.  How many times has it told you to turn the opposite direction?  I have 31,xxx miles on my bike,  It has been from TN to CA, WA and OR, with another Trip To MT, WY SD, and a few trips to FL.

The turn issue was correct last software update, over two years in production.  Time zones are still wrong.  Many other issues but I will not go into them all. 

I enjoy the heck out of this bike, wouldn't have 31K on it if I didn't.  The head unit was a real sore spot until late fall this year when the biggest issues were finally fixed.

As for motor reliability, My 09 SERG had the lifters fail at 44K, the day after I traded it in.  Out wast last summer in WA, a friends 14 CVO limited with 20,400 miles on it had its lifers fail.  Yakima HD was awesome, got the bike in at 0900 and they had the new cams, lifers and oil pump in and the bike on the road by 1600.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »

As far as the HD bashing goes we must remember that in the early 110 days many had to have a new motor early on and several have had 2 and 3 motors replaced for a number of reasons on the same bike. So there are some members that truly have scars from the early days. :( I haven't seen any newer shop manuals lately but my 07 manual clearly stated three thousand maximum pinion runout only to be changed verbally a couple of months later that under 12 thousand is within tolerance.  :confused5:

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »

Curious as to how much you use the GPS, before the last update?  How many time zones have you crossed?  Dang GPS headunit thinks Part of SD is Pacific Time or Western KY is Mountain time, or East TN and GA are different time zones, when they are the same.  How many times has it told you to turn the opposite direction?  I have 31,xxx miles on my bike,  It has been from TN to CA, WA and OR, with another Trip To MT, WY SD, and a few trips to FL.

The turn issue was correct last software update, over two years in production.  Time zones are still wrong.  Many other issues but I will not go into them all. 

I enjoy the heck out of this bike, wouldn't have 31K on it if I didn't.  The head unit was a real sore spot until late fall this year when the biggest issues were finally fixed.

As for motor reliability, My 09 SERG had the lifters fail at 44K, the day after I traded it in.  Out wast last summer in WA, a friends 14 CVO limited with 20,400 miles on it had its lifers fail.  Yakima HD was awesome, got the bike in at 0900 and they had the new cams, lifers and oil pump in and the bike on the road by 1600.

Hi Dave. Yea I haven't retired yet and never ride my bike to work, but during one holiday I spent three days with my wife riding in the Mt. Rainier/White Pass hwy 12/Yakima Valley/along that Canyon and up to Leavenworth and then back to SW Washington where we live. The next day a buddy and I left and headed east out the gorge on hwy 14 and over to Lewiston. Then along the river over Lolo Pass and up to Kalispel, then over Going to the Sun Road and out Glacier east side and down to Helena, then over to Sturgis and rode Black Hills, Iron mountain (twice), Needles, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Vonacker Canyon etc. Then out to devils tower and across the Bighorn Mountains to Cody. Then Cody over Chief Joseph, Beartooth to Redbluff and back the same way to Cody, then into Yelowstone around the Grand Loop and back to Cody via Chief Joseph again. Then back through Yellowstone down through the Tetons to Jacksonhole and on to Idaho Falls I believe, and then out to Hells Canyon and west along the Gorge on 84 and back home.

The GPS always got us to the Best Western we were staying in without fail, and other destinations as I punched them in. Never did send me in the wrong direction (not saying it won't, but didn't in my case). I think the time zone may have gotten off once somewhere (don't remember) but you can bet it did't interfere with me having fun, or irritate me in the least. Just different expectations I suppose. There is no damn way I am going to let a GPS get in my way of enjoying rides like that. Just me I guess. I won't even put up with listening to "bitch judy" ordering me around in my via my car GPS either. Just the minimal required. I prefer listening to my music with minimal interruptions while enjoying the ride and the scenery.

Much of the ride mentioned above was planned in advance, and I can look at a map and say to myself "ok. take this road to that road and to that one." and I kind of remember a picture of the map in my head. Then when and only when necessary punch a destination into the gps.
I put over $50K in my last bike, and just figured I would get a head start with this one, plus I wanted the twin-cooled. I am completely satisfied with my bike and purchase. Sorry you are not.
I haven't bothered putting the latest update on yet and the ride mentioned above was a couple vers back. Have been in that Yskima dealer several times when riding that area. Always friendly but never needed their service. Nice to know.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »

As far as the HD bashing goes we must remember that in the early 110 days many had to have a new motor early on and several have had 2 and 3 motors replaced for a number of reasons on the same bike. So there are some members that truly have scars from the early days. :( I haven't seen any newer shop manuals lately but my 07 manual clearly stated three thousand maximum pinion runout only to be changed verbally a couple of months later that under 12 thousand is within tolerance.  :confused5:
Hi Rooster. All this typing on iPhone at lunch🙁
Anyway I will just keep repeating that when reading a lot of these threads it would give someone the impression that the bikes suck. I think the number of complaints registered on this website is a very small sampling of all the owners. I personally believe that the majority of owners are happy with their purchase like me. Otherwise they would not keep buying them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.