Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1  (Read 8781 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »

This new code applies to Virginia residents who commit traffic violations. It adds civil fines on top of any fines and court costs given in Traffic Court. It could cost you up to an additional $3,000 dollars depending on the offense and the amount can't be reduced by the court.
Something like failure to signal a turn could cost you $1,000.
See attached file for a chart of offenses and fines.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:31:01 AM »

Sounds like something Bloomberg would do! I guess I'm safe for now when I blast thru. It's for VA residents only! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »

Well, just goes to show that the legislators can get creative in the way the collect taxes.

However, if it improves the driving habits of the public it may not be all bad.  Looks like most of it makes sense to me if you read the infractions it covers.

Seems like many drivers think the rules of the road are for everyone else and not them these days.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:52 PM »

Fortunately, the $1000 for failure to signal, comes under the "RD" or reckless driving category.  They're only going to hit you for a normal fine if you do "normal" misdemeanors.  It's a pretty extensive list, but it's only what I'd expect them to do for the categories of violations they're talking about in the legislation.  I don't have a problem with any, except the traveling in excess of 80 mph...which I never, ever, do...honest ::)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »

20 MPH over any Speed limit will get you reckless driving - RECKLESS DRIVING is a catch phrase making you have to go to court and have the fine set by a judge as we don't have a slide rule value of fine for your offense.

More farming for revenue

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »

Thanks Dave for posting this.  Heard about it on the news, but reading the listing brings it a lot closer to home. We are really going to have to watcht he way we drive.  More in the car than on the bikes, although we drive much faster on bikes then we ever do in the 4 wheeled vehicles.  I got a ticket a few years ago that won me the priviledge of not being able to drive for a few weeks.  Let me tell you, that scared me real bad.  Riding with Lugnut57 from this site a couple of years ago, he and I both got speeding tickets on our SEEGs.  He is from NY, so he would have just got the $55 ticket.  I'd have to pay the extra cause I am from VA.  If it is just a money raising venue, why pull over anyone with out of state tags? 

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »

20 MPH over any Speed limit will get you reckless driving - RECKLESS DRIVING is a catch phrase making you have to go to court and have the fine set by a judge as we don't have a slide rule value of fine for your offense.

Yep - got it once when I lived in VA, too.  I ended up hiring a lawyer to get it reduced to speeding.  Still cost a bundle, but less than the reckless driving charge would have cost, between fines and insurance going up.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »

See attached file for a chart of offenses and fines.

Good Lord, what a list!!!!!  What a revenue bonanza!!!!!  A*%*@#@s. 

bc

ps - I gotta watch that driving overweight offense ... 
'07 FXSTSSE

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »

Thanks....sent it to my boy, he was just about to get his license moved from MD to VA, I think this'll stop him.....

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »

Fortunately, the $1000 for failure to signal, comes under the "RD" or reckless driving category.  They're only going to hit you for a normal fine if you do "normal" misdemeanors. 

I understand what you're saying, but complete disagree with the sentiment.  What's going to happen is that, by making it SO financially attractive, they're going to start writing a whole lot more RD tickets.  All you need to trigger a RD ticket is a combination of things, like speeding in conjunction with a failure to signal.  Think the typical scenario where you gotta get out of the way of a developing situation - now - and you goose the throttle - something actually more common (and needed) on a bike than in a cage.  Presto, pal! just got yourself a RD ticket.  And in no time at all, when the $$ come rolling in, they'll start writing RD tickets in every crappy little speed trap in the state.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »

I think everyone is reading way too much into this bit of legislation.  There's extenuating circumstances to everything done, unless it's blatantly obvious that you're disregarding the law.  To be honest, you can get pegged for reckless driving now, by combining numerous offenses.  It could be a revenue stream...you just gotta watch what you do.   Like I always used to tell my troops in my previous life in the Navy:  "You can do or say anything you want, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions." 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

I think everyone is reading way too much into this bit of legislation.  ...

I don't think so - not when the stated purpose of the legislation, embedded right in the text itself, is revenue.  That actually amazed me.  It's a pretty bald-faced statement, especially since stuff like this is usually justified with appeals to safety.  Nope, it's we want more money, so we're sticking it to you.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »

I don't think so - not when the stated purpose of the legislation, embedded right in the text itself, is revenue.  That actually amazed me.  It's a pretty bald-faced statement, especially since stuff like this is usually justified with appeals to safety.  Nope, it's we want more money, so we're sticking it to you.

bc

I'd have to vote for those wankers just because of the honesty displayed in the document.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

I'll be watching my P's and Q's riding through Virginia next week.... :nervous: :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »

I'll be watching my P's and Q's riding through Virginia next week.... :nervous: :nervous:
The thing of it is Terry is that you are exempt for the extra charges. It is only the VA residents that will have to pay the premiums.  I think they will stop pulling over out of state drivers unless blatantly breaking the law, and only target the VA drivers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.