Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crackdown efforts on Tail of the Dragon  (Read 1118 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Crackdown efforts on Tail of the Dragon
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »

Law Enforcement efforts have increased on Tail of the Dragon!
See the link;

http://tailofthedragon.com/

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Crackdown efforts on Tail of the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »

More info and photos here ;

http://killboy.blogspot.com/

I wonder if they ticket the flashers too? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »

Well I think everybody had to know it was coming.  To much negetive press coverage.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

Holly Slowdown Batman!
These guys drink way too much coffee.  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
I think the speed limit is 30 mph! The horror of it all!!!  :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:16:36 PM by Mr. WeCVO »
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:02:05 AM »

The squids on sport bikes have brought down the heavy hand of the man.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

THis was in the morning paper. If your going to be here for the Nat Hog rally and are heading for the Dragon have your Reg,Ins,and Motorcycle opperator edorsment or your lisc.

THP kicks up patrols on Dragon      :police: There acting like a bunch of  :joker:

The Daily Poll
Will tougher enforcement on the Dragon harm tourism? Go to The Daily Poll on the Opinion page and cast your vote today.

By Iva Butler
of The Daily Times Staff

Tennessee Highway Patrol officers wrote 142 tickets for motorcycle and car violations on the Dragon last weekend in a crackdown promised to extend through September.
The tickets, 92 for motorcycles and 50 for cars, included tickets for violations such as speeding, registration, driver’s licenses, helmet law, lane violations and riding standing up.
The Tennessee Governor’s Highway Safety Office provided $60,000 for overtime enforcement on the Dragon, where three motorcyclists have been killed in Blount County this year.
The Dragon refers to the 11.1-mile stretch of U.S. 129 which runs from Tabcat Creek to Deal’s Gap at the Tennessee and North Carolina line. Known worldwide as a premier ride for motorcyclists, the section of roadway has 318 curves.
Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Highway Patrol had 11 troopers enforcing traffic safety laws on the Dragon, said Trooper John Pedigo,
Today through Sunday, THP is expected to have two or three cars working that stretch of road. Pedigo said the increased enforcement will run every weekend through the end of September. Several Dragon motorcyclists complained and called the THP blitz harassment.
Herb Handly, executive vice president for tourism of Smoky Mountain Convention and Visitors Bureau, said “apparently bikers on the Dragon have taken a dim view of having increased enforcement.”
Handly said the governor has taken a dim view of having Lifestar helicopters called so often to transport injured motorcyclists off the Dragon.
“Some people are speeding and driving recklessly, so the governor had THP go in force over the weekend,” he said.
Apparently numerous people have e-mailed the governor, correspondence that was forwarded to Tennessee Commissioner of Tourism Susan Whittaker.
“People have canceled or been threatening cancellations of travel plans to this area,” Handly said.
“We certainly understand safety issues having to deal with that area. We think safety should be a high priority. We are encouraging people to use care and caution in that area and remind them we have a variety of rides besides the Dragon that are safe and enjoyable,” Handly said.
Smoky Mountain Convention and Visitors Bureau has a brochure, called Circle the Smokies, that lists a variety of routes from Townsend that motorcyclists might want to consider, he said.
“They might want to stay away from The Dragon until this enforcement blitz is over,” Handly said.

Last modified: August 10. 2007 8:23AM  www.thedailytimes.com    http://www.thedailytimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070810/NEWS/70810008

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »

Great tip. Good to know where the cops are so I can be somewhere else.  ;) Now if they could only pull the rangers off of the BRPkwy we'd be good to go.

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:10:35 PM »

The creackdown really bites, although when I went through there over a year ago, the crotch rockets were running me off the road. I guess I'll just have to plan around the dragon from now on.......

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:10 PM »

Was in the area last weekend and all I can suggest is what out...with the price of overtime and the cost of tickets there is money to be had for the state.

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.