Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Are You part of the 67% of Americans Who???  (Read 9069 times)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
Re: Are You part of the 67% of Americans Who???
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »

Do I think George W. is the right man? Of course I do, who else could take us into the Apocalypse better?

(Heard that from a comic, late night on Comedy channel  :2vrolijk_21: )
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »

I don't care, I'm still not voting for Hillary Clintoris!  :P

Only quoting the post above for illustration.  Not to point out the individual in any way.  It is the common sentiment of who "I'm not going to vote for" that is my pet peeve.

It is easy to pick someone with as much history and as high a set of negatives as her history brings with her and say "I'm not voting for X."  I'm not voting for McGovern because he's soft on the war.  I'm not voting for Nixon because he's for the war.  I'm not voting for Ford because he pardoned Nixon.  I'm not voting for Carter because of....   Well, you get the idea.

Folks, that kind of simple (yeah, simple) lack of full reasoning and knee jerk response makes you meat for the type of people that operate campaigns.  They rarely write or promote to truly inform.  They write or perform to deny an opinion.  Your opinion. 

Sure, that's the easy, lazier and less meaningful way to mount a campaign message.  But if that's all you make them do it's your fault and not their fault.

"I'm not going to vote for X" is also irrelevant to anyone but you.  It does nothing to convince anyone who is worthy of a vote.  And that's what really matters.  So, if you want to be a teenager in cheerleader's garb on the sideline doing "sis, boom, bahs" against the other team just because they are the other team then continue bopping around like ditzy little girls in costume saying only how bad the other players are.

If, instead, your goal is entering the field to be an informed member of the electorate for everyone's good (including your own) work on it a little differently.  The goal should be concern and interest in who the next person in office will be (and why).  If that is in place than who won't be in office and "why I hate Hillary in 99 words I less" becomes secondary. 

As someone who has worked around a few campaigns I can tell you that an audience that only wants to hate the other guy, and doesn't care why your guy is better, is an easy audience.  A target rich environment that you don't have to work for at all.  Whomever your particlar bastard is make the bastard work for you.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »

Could not agree more, Don.

Knee jerk reactions to people just because of who they are and not because of what they are REALLY saying/not saying, just pisses me off.  We face some REALLY serious chit in this country for the next several years, and need to consider carefully who we choose to place in charge of things.  There is some bad stuff happening, both in this country and in other parts of the world.  We cannot do it alone, in spite of what some may think.  Try and sift through the rhetoric and get to the meat of who somebody really is, regardless of what the extremeists might say.  They are all flawed, just like each one of us. Try and keep an open mind (by the way, whatever happened to that concept?).  Choose carefully, as your children's future may very well depend on it.  There are NO simple solutions to the complex problems the world is facing, so beware those who offer them up, or regurgitate statements meant to appeal only to emotions and not rational thought.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:24:52 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »

The problem is that none of them represent my views (except maybe for some of the Libertarians, which will never win anything) AND they all SUCK!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »

Could not agree more, Don.

Knee jerk reactions to people just because of who they are and not because of what they are REALLY saying/not saying, just pisses me off.  We face some REALLY

I get to be more cynical than that Terry.  One part of me isn't bothered by simple knee jerk reactions at all.  If I'm writing for someone speaking before a canned audience all of whom are supporters I only have to make the candidate be intelligent and thoughtful enough to effectively say, "Give me a D, Give me an I, Give me a C....   until D I C K H E A D is spelled out talking about the other guy.  And the crowd goes wild and summarily wets itself.

If it's an open audience, however, the guy actually has to be smart.  It's easier writing to the crowd that wets itself.  I personally prefer to be part of the other crowd though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »

The problem is that none of them represent my views (except maybe for some of the Libertarians, which will never win anything) AND they all SUCK!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

That's too lazy Howie.  So what if they all suck?  Some will suck in worse ways than others or in areas more important than others. 

Pick the areas of the job being run for that to you are most important.  Then do the legwork to find the guy that sucks least in those areas.

That kind of process is a big part of my presidential choice.  I know, for example, that the Congress exercises significantly greater control over the domestic agenda.  The White House significantly more control over international and security agendas. 

That being so in times of peace and lack of significant foreign threat I'll look for a presidential candidate with good ties to the Hill, that will likely bring staff that knows how to work with the Hill, etc etc etc.  In times of foreign threat, however, I'll pay attention to different backgrounds of the likely staff, what the candidate is likely to do internationally and how he'll work with (or not, depending on which might be necessary) foreign capitals. 

That's all too broad to be more than simply illustrative.  Much more to consider of course.  But just saying they all suck doesn't cut it.  Unless you're using that as an excuse not to vote at all.  And if you don't for them or against it you've forfeited the right to bitch about them without being a hypocrite.

All 110s (for purposes of illustration and not reality) may suck too.  That does not mean you haven't looked hard, researched more, studied diligently and taken the advice of those you believed to be even more well informed then yourself to pick the parts of the 110 worth using to make the best choice you could.  The choice of President of the United States is worth as much intellectual effort on our parts as is a bike motor.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »

That's too lazy Howie.  So what if they all suck?  Some will suck in worse ways than others or in areas more important than others. 

Pick the areas of the job being run for that to you are most important.  Then do the legwork to find the guy that sucks least in those areas.

That kind of process is a big part of my presidential choice.  I know, for example, that the Congress exercises significantly greater control over the domestic agenda.  The White House significantly more control over international and security agendas. 

That being so in times of peace and lack of significant foreign threat I'll look for a presidential candidate with good ties to the Hill, that will likely bring staff that knows how to work with the Hill, etc etc etc.  In times of foreign threat, however, I'll pay attention to different backgrounds of the likely staff, what the candidate is likely to do internationally and how he'll work with (or not, depending on which might be necessary) foreign capitals. 

That's all too broad to be more than simply illustrative.  Much more to consider of course.  But just saying they all suck doesn't cut it.  Unless you're using that as an excuse not to vote at all.  And if you don't for them or against it you've forfeited the right to bitch about them without being a hypocrite.

All 110s (for purposes of illustration and not reality) may suck too.  That does not mean you haven't looked hard, researched more, studied diligently and taken the advice of those you believed to be even more well informed then yourself to pick the parts of the 110 worth using to make the best choice you could.  The choice of President of the United States is worth as much intellectual effort on our parts as is a bike motor.

Yeap, but I've only told you what I've come up with over the years. After researching info on the list of available candidates each election, only one party usually aligns with my beliefs and ideals. That party unfortunately never gets elected to anything. I wish more people did as you said. I think you'd see more Libertarians in office then. But the major elections always go to the parties with the big bucks (R or D) and many times, they run the same person under other parties as well. Politics have become such a huge business, that a little guy with great ideas can't play anymore, unless he aligns himself with one of these 2 parties. He'd then be required to "toe the party line" to become a candidate. The system has become a scam. If no one represents your views, what are you really voting for? You're not. You're voting against someone else by voting for someone you don't agree with. Years of seeing this have resulted in my feeling that the system is made for the rich and big business, and that all politicians SUCK!

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »

Elect Hoist for president! WWIII will begin 1 week after election.

Of course the same could be said about me.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »

Elect Hoist for president! WWIII will begin 1 week after election.

Of course the same could be said about me.

Yeah Baby, and there'd be an American Flag on every oil well within a week and gas would be under a buck/gal again! And I'd put Israel in charge of the whole damn Middle East just to piss them off! Go ahead, F with America again! Damn politicians! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »

Years of seeing this have resulted in my feeling that the system is made for the rich and big business, and that all politicians SUCK!

Hoist! 8)

Howie, there is no doubt that the process is captured.  In ways large and subtle.  And the major actors/candidates are captured within it.

That doesn't mean that there still aren't differences between the options.  It might be sucks versus really sucks.  But it's still a difference.  Once in that particular office they can sometimes be a bit released from the capture they had to go through to get there too.

Few, for example, saw LBJ as a major force for civil rights legislation before he got in office.  He explained it himself by saying that being in office allows you to do some things you might not tell your friends about while you're trying to get in office.  Yet another reason to try to intuit from their past and their staffs where their inclinations rest.

It may not be, and often isn't, a good process.  That's partly the fault of those that throw the party.  It's also partly the fault of those of us who attend it; because we make them throw it no differently.

As a platform, for example, the Libertarians you like are both interesting and impressive in many ways.  Some of their candidates at various levels are impressive also.  Too many of their candidates, however, are nut jobs.  That could be changed if the interest was real rather than tertiary.

Suck or not, it is our process and our system.  And our choices.  It is far different now than it was 20 or 50 years ago.  The process of choice will continue to evolve.  How it does depends on the participation and interests of not just the elite but the choices made by the rest of us.  So, suck or not, it is our process.  I still like it better than everything else out there for a large Republic.  So I might as well saddle up and hit its road.  You don't really want to keep the bike in the garage just because there are potholes do you?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

Yeah Baby, and there'd be an American Flag on every oil well within a week and gas would be under a buck/gal again! And I'd put Israel in charge of the whole damn Middle East just to piss them off! Go ahead, F with America again! Damn politicians! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Ok pak, you snicker a bit as wind up like that.  But it's a way of making the choice. 

What are your goals?  Support for Israel.  There are some real differences in how Israel would be dealt with between Obama, Richardson, Clinton, Thompson, Rudy, et. al.  Differences that are in some ways subtle and some ways not.  But differences for sure.

Got to start somewhere.  That issue is as important as any to start working from.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 12:58:12 PM »

Howie, there is no doubt that the process is captured.  In ways large and subtle.  And the major actors/candidates are captured within it.

That doesn't mean that there still aren't differences between the options.  It might be sucks versus really sucks.  But it's still a difference.  Once in that particular office they can sometimes be a bit released from the capture they had to go through to get there too.

Few, for example, saw LBJ as a major force for civil rights legislation before he got in office.  He explained it himself by saying that being in office allows you to do some things you might not tell your friends about while you're trying to get in office.  Yet another reason to try to intuit from their past and their staffs where their inclinations rest.

It may not be, and often isn't, a good process.  That's partly the fault of those that throw the party.  It's also partly the fault of those of us who attend it; because we make them throw it no differently.

As a platform, for example, the Libertarians you like are both interesting and impressive in many ways.  Some of their candidates at various levels are impressive also.  Too many of their candidates, however, are nut jobs.  That could be changed if the interest was real rather than tertiary.

Suck or not, it is our process and our system.  And our choices.  It is far different now than it was 20 or 50 years ago.  The process of choice will continue to evolve.  How it does depends on the participation and interests of not just the elite but the choices made by the rest of us.  So, suck or not, it is our process.  I still like it better than everything else out there for a large Republic.  So I might as well saddle up and hit its road.  You don't really want to keep the bike in the garage just because there are potholes do you?

Prolly why I like them! ;D

And you got that right, even though it seems we never get who we want. It's still the greatest country in the world, and the system is still better than anything else out there.

Now just vote for me and this place will get even better! :o ::) :P :D

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »

Prolly why I like them! ;D

And you got that right, even though it seems we never get who we want. It's still the greatest country in the world, and the system is still better than anything else out there.

Now just vote for me and this place will get even better! :o ::) :P :D

Hoist! 8)

Done deal. But if you get the job I want to be Chief of Staff.  No freaking confirmation hearings for me, dammit!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »

Done deal. But if you get the job I want to be Chief of Staff.  No freaking confirmation hearings for me, dammit!

No problem Don! That's a done deal! Howieland gets better than that! Motorcycle only highways with no speed limits (all the best roads of course) for starters! Oh boy, don't get me going here. This could get ugly! :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »

No problem Don! That's a done deal! Howieland gets better than that! Motorcycle only highways with no speed limits (all the best roads of course) for starters! Oh boy, don't get me going here. This could get ugly! :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

And off ramps that are real ramps!!!

Very first order of business though.  I get to resubmit a bill whose language has never come out of committee before.  No bras on BSRs (except in cases of gravitational requirement) when riding on any Federally funded or supported highway!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.