Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Garrison Keillor Rips Rolling Thunder...........D!ckhead!!!  (Read 4895 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Garrison Keillor Rips Rolling Thunder...........D!ckhead!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »

Frankly do not know enough about Danforth - so not sure there but will take your word on it since I cannot think of a single Repub.  statesman.  Richardson would have been my pick for Dem prez candidate, but not sure I would give him "statesman" chops.  McCain was closer to it 10 years ago than now - he is better than the average pol no doubt.

Sam Nunn was the last statesman serving that I can remember, honestly.  And yep I'm cynical as well as jaded politically. 

Richardson has been out there in the boonies, literally.  Meeting with very bad people in very quiet places with very little backup and requesting very little mention of it for doing so.  Did the deed for both Democratic and Republican administrations.

I'd never have put Nunn in that category though.  Was also a creature of the Senate and those tangential things close to it.  His "thing" was always "defense policy expert."  But while he was no dunce I always thought him a bit overrated there.  Sometimes more than a bit.  He was of the mold of Scoop Jackson before him in the Senate but without Jackson's personality or his superior defense policy instincts.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »

Richardson has been out there in the boonies, literally.  Meeting with very bad people in very quiet places with very little backup and requesting very little mention of it for doing so.  Did the deed for both Democratic and Republican administrations.

I'd never have put Nunn in that category though.  Was also a creature of the Senate and those tangential things close to it.  His "thing" was always "defense policy expert."  But while he was no dunce I always thought him a bit overrated there.  Sometimes more than a bit.  He was of the mold of Scoop Jackson before him in the Senate but without Jackson's personality or his superior defense policy instincts.

That's why I did not name any names in my DISertation on the sorry state of tv news today.  My "semi-journalist" names would be anathema to those who do not share my views.

Since you don't like Nunn, I change my opinion on Danforth, which really wasn't my opinion, it was yours.   ;D

Suppose we could argue the statesmanlike merits of Clay, Webster, and Calhoun vs Kennedy, Lott, and Lieberman.......nah......
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »

William Cohen of Maine was a former Republican Senator from Maine who served as SECDEF in the Clinton Administration. He is married to Janet Langhart a black woman who was a TV journalist in DC. Senator/Secretary Cohen now writes spy novels and the occasional op-ed piece such as his recent one on race relations in America.  He grew up solid middle class in Maine and represented my home state well in the opinion of the vast majority of people in Maine. I am sure his name will get ripped, but I as do many of my fellow Mainuhs respect and admire him. 

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »

That's why I did not name any names in my DISertation on the sorry state of tv news today.  My "semi-journalist" names would be anathema to those who do not share my views.

Since you don't like Nunn, I change my opinion on Danforth, which really wasn't my opinion, it was yours.   ;D

Suppose we could argue the statesmanlike merits of Clay, Webster, and Calhoun vs Kennedy, Lott, and Lieberman.......nah......

To say I didn't like Senator Nunn would be overstating it. Considerably.  He was competent, interested, involved, effective and much better at just doing his job than most of his colleagues.  I always just thought the whole defense policy savant thing he so often got hung with was a bit of an overstatement.

To his credit he didn't cultivate it.  Though he didn't run away from it either.  Of the same generation of legislators a couple that do come to mind that I couldn't stand because the same type of laurels were cast their way and they did cultivate them were Les Aspin and Lee Hamilton.  Especially Hamilton.  What a pinhead.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »

William Cohen of Maine was a former Republican Senator from Maine who served as SECDEF in the Clinton Administration. He is married to Janet Langhart a black woman who was a TV journalist in DC. Senator/Secretary Cohen now writes spy novels and the occasional op-ed piece such as his recent one on race relations in America.  He grew up solid middle class in Maine and represented my home state well in the opinion of the vast majority of people in Maine. I am sure his name will get ripped, but I as do many of my fellow Mainuhs respect and admire him. 

B B

B B, I know a lot of people who really dis'd Cohen for sleeping with the enemy when he became SecDef under Clinton.  I don't.  I strongly believe in that whole "serving at the pleasure of the President" thing.  If he got the call it was a duty and a responsibility to serve unless something other partisanship could keep him from it.

I always had very few reservations with Cohen's career.  He was a competent Senator whose views reflected his consituency.  You can't ask for a lot more than that. 

My only beefs with his service were that as SecDef I thought he was often far too deferential to Clinton's other Cabinet posts at the expense of his own department and I thought he did a surprisingly poor job during his time on the Select Committee for Iran/Contra.

As for not liking Mainers generally, at least not here.  Margaret Chase Smith had bigger balls than anyone of her day.  And thank god for it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »

To say I didn't like Senator Nunn would be overstating it. Considerably.  He was competent, interested, involved, effective and much better at just doing his job than most of his colleagues.  I always just thought the whole defense policy savant thing he so often got hung with was a bit of an overstatement.

To his credit he didn't cultivate it.  Though he didn't run away from it either.  Of the same generation of legislators a couple that do come to mind that I couldn't stand because the same type of laurels were cast their way and they did cultivate them were Les Aspin and Lee Hamilton.  Especially Hamilton.  What a pinhead.

Senators, for the most part, think they are destined to become president.  At least after they get re-elected a couple of times. Always figured Nunn would run, but he did not, and did not seek a VP nod (heard Gore had interest in him for the spot).  Hamilton as pinhead - sure.  Comparatively the Senate these days is an irregular pincushion.

As to Cohen - a bit weak in his role as SecDef, but considering how weak Clinton was on matters military, Cohen did the best he could.  Good guy overall, IMHO. 

Maybe one reason I'm so jaded is we have interchangeable Senator/turkeys currently in Florida - Nelson & Martinez.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »

Senators, for the most part, think they are destined to become president.  At least after they get re-elected a couple of times. Always figured Nunn would run, but he did not, and did not seek a VP nod (heard Gore had interest in him for the spot).  Hamilton as pinhead - sure.  Comparatively the Senate these days is an irregular pincushion.

As to Cohen - a bit weak in his role as SecDef, but considering how weak Clinton was on matters military, Cohen did the best he could.  Good guy overall, IMHO. 

Maybe one reason I'm so jaded is we have interchangeable Senator/turkeys currently in Florida - Nelson & Martinez.

For years I've always said that my regard for the common electoral class was that I did not ask a great deal of them.  I only asked that they did no real harm and they occasionally amused me.  The current Florida Senatorial contingent has never been even a little bit amusing....  How can a state with Disneyland and gators have such a boring pair of Senators?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »

For years I've always said that my regard for the common electoral class was that I did not ask a great deal of them.  I only asked that they did no real harm and they occasionally amused me.  The current Florida Senatorial contingent has never been even a little bit amusing....  How can a state with Disneyland and gators have such a boring pair of Senators?

The easiest answer is that voters who vote in Florida have had their brains baked into jello by the sun.  So we elect jello-flavored Senators.  Remember Bob Grahaham?  He kept a complete list of EVERYTHING he did each & every day.  Including what he had for breakfast.  He was one of the most boring public officials I have heard speak, and that is either a high compliment or an extreme complaint, considering the rubber chicken I have devoured while listening to.... well let's just call them "Obamaisms for the easily put to sleep".

Missouri is a regular hotbed of angst in comparison I suppose.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »

The easiest answer is that voters who vote in Florida have had their brains baked into jello by the sun.  So we elect jello-flavored Senators.  Remember Bob Grahaham?  He kept a complete list of EVERYTHING he did each & every day.  Including what he had for breakfast.  He was one of the most boring public officials I have heard speak, and that is either a high compliment or an extreme complaint, considering the rubber chicken I have devoured while listening to.... well let's just call them "Obamaisms for the easily put to sleep".

Missouri is a regular hotbed of angst in comparison I suppose.

I sometimes wondered if Bob Graham was dead.  Missouri has its moments.  We gave the nation John Ashcroft and it wasn't that long ago that we (knowingly and intentionally) elected a dead guy to the US Senate. 

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »

B B, I know a lot of people who really dis'd Cohen for sleeping with the enemy when he became SecDef under Clinton.  I don't.  I strongly believe in that whole "serving at the pleasure of the President" thing.  If he got the call it was a duty and a responsibility to serve unless something other partisanship could keep him from it.

I always had very few reservations with Cohen's career.  He was a competent Senator whose views reflected his consituency.  You can't ask for a lot more than that. 

My only beefs with his service were that as SecDef I thought he was often far too deferential to Clinton's other Cabinet posts at the expense of his own department and I thought he did a surprisingly poor job during his time on the Select Committee for Iran/Contra.

As for not liking Mainers generally, at least not here.  Margaret Chase Smith had bigger balls than anyone of her day.  And thank god for it.

Ah yes, Maggie Smith was near and dear to all of our hearts as a woman of great honor, ability and courage. It is my admittedly biased opinion that the Great State of Maine has been blessed for many years with honest competant hardworking politicians who while in office represented the state with dignity, grace and a sense of fair play. We are quite picky in who we send off to Washington and proud of them for the most part. The biggest knock on our folks seems to be that they are moderates. Senators Snow and Collins have been a part of John McCain's aisle crossing group on several occasions in the past 8 years. Not to say though that once out of office a case couldn't be made for some cashing in on the reputation. Senator Mitchell for one has tarnished his reputation greatly since leaving office.

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

I sometimes wondered if Bob Graham was dead.  Missouri has its moments.  We gave the nation John Ashcroft and it wasn't that long ago that we (knowingly and intentionally) elected a dead guy to the US Senate. 

We should elect dead folks to be our Senators from Florida.  Considering the boneyard deal here & all.

Ashcroft was great - a very unintentionally funny fellow.  Plus the far lefties foamed at the mouth whenever he opened his.  Foaming far lefties are quite amusing.  MO gets props from me for that!

FL Guv Crist is on McCain's VP list (supposedly).  He has a great tan, and moderate Dems like him.  Not a chance in hell, IMHO, as VP for Mc. Fringer Dems hate him since he is not a Dem.  That holds true in both parties - the fringers hate those who are not of their political persuasion, because they are not of their political persuasion.  And they don't see it, and that makes it funny.  To me, at least.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »

What a prick!!!! :sauer005: It's people like that you'd like see die a slow death by broom straws. Tie them up somewhere and let everyone that wants to come by and stick as many broom straws in them they want until he dies a slow death.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I agree...............or better yet, "Buckwheats."  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.802 seconds with 22 queries.