Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Medal Of Honor Or Navy Cross  (Read 2770 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Medal Of Honor Or Navy Cross
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »

Sean, you'll get no debate from me.  Can only speculate on the reasons why the review went as it did and consider the reasons why.  Suggesting such doesn't mean one agrees with them.  Just recognizes what they might be.

I am glad such a review wasn't mine to do.  I have a hard time not bowing before heroes and would award too easily I fear.  Knowing only the public facts I can't fathom the decision in this case.  But such decisions are well well above my pay grade.

The First Sergeant (now Sgt Major) who shielded a wounded Marine with his body (made the news getting carried out by two Marines with his M9 still in his hand) from an insurgent grenade during the battle of Fallujah "only" got the Navy Cross.  Some believed he rated the Medal of Honor as well...guess that is the bar in some way.  Dunham wrestled an insurgent and then jumped on a grenade knocked from his hand, put his helmet over it and took the blast...not much different then Peralta. 

I hope there is not some stupid quota in place...but on the whole, my Corps is much more stringent then the other services about issuing any awards, valorous or not.  (and I have done joint tours, so have seen it from different aspects).

Sean

elvislee

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »

Sean, you'll get no debate from me.  Can only speculate on the reasons why the review went as it did and consider the reasons why.  Suggesting such doesn't mean one agrees with them.  Just recognizes what they might be.

I am glad such a review wasn't mine to do.  I have a hard time not bowing before heroes and would award too easily I fear.  Knowing only the public facts I can't fathom the decision in this case.  But such decisions are well well above my pay grade.

I agree completely with twolane ... To be taotally honest; when I FIRST read anything of this I felt ANGER.... I guess when a man gives the ultimate; it's hard for me to understand how he can not receive the same....GOD Bless them all...Salute
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:58:51 AM by elvislee »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »

This debate reminds me of the struggle to get a friend of mine the CMO for his actions in Vietnam. At first he didn't want an award since he was just doing his job but those who served with him and others like me tried for years to get him the CMO and we found resistance from the admin and we felt it was due to his status as a sniper.
Info about him here for those not familiar with his name : Carlos Hathcock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

elvislee

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »

This debate reminds me of the struggle to get a friend of mine the CMO for his actions in Vietnam. At first he didn't want an award since he was just doing his job but those who served with him and others like me tried for years to get him the CMO and we found resistance from the admin and we felt it was due to his status as a sniper.
Info about him here for those not familiar with his name : Carlos Hathcock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

Gy. Hathcock...What a Marine  :2vrolijk_21: I've read an excerpt or two from one of his books (Can't remember which one) where he zapped a NVA General from a thousand + yards or something to that effect. I gotta buy those books...Semper Fi
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:12:48 PM by elvislee »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

This a good book about Carlos Hathcock's life.
http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_products_detail.php?id=21

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

This a good book about Carlos Hathcock's life.
http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_products_detail.php?id=21

Man, what a name from the past.  Met him at Quantico and had the opportunity to shoot with him at the Camp Perry matches.  Certainly an outstanding Marine and one of the toughest I've ever seen in dealing with his illness the many years before his death. I don't think there's a doubt that his unequaled career as a sniper kept him from the CMO and public tribute so well deserved.  Not a popular subject among the anti-war crowd.   May he enjoy the best the Lord has to offer.....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:57:43 PM by BLM777 »

Sean M Cary

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

Man, what a name from the past.  Met him at Quantico and had the opportunity to shoot with him at the Camp Perry matches.  Certainly an outstanding Marine and one of the toughest I've ever seen in dealing with his illness the many years before his death. I don't think there's a doubt that his unequaled career as a sniper kept him from the CMO and public tribute so well deserved.  Not a popular subject among the anti-war crowd.   May he enjoy the best the Lord has to offer.....

his son was/is in the Marine Corps...  Was a shooter as well, had friends who used to shoot with him.

elvislee

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »

They ain't giving up...Sgt. Peralta's Mother from what I understand, refused the Silver Star...Sure would would like to know the details of the team that did the final review for Gates...

http://northmobile.mediacomtoday.com/community/news/story/index.php?source=National&id=D93A6FKG0&pd=20080920
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:00:08 AM by elvislee »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.