Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: CVO not to be seperate operation anymore  (Read 8756 times)

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: CVO not to be seperate operation anymore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 06:46:09 PM »

So what exactly makes a CVO a CVO if its not the fact that they're hand built one at a time?
 The paint? You can order all kinds of paint schemes now from the factory.
The motor? You can get that done too.
Chrome? Can get that.
So what is it? For you anyway.
Should I have started another thread?
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »

So what exactly makes a CVO a CVO if its not the fact that they're hand built one at a time?
 The paint? You can order all kinds of paint schemes now from the factory.
The motor? You can get that done too.
Chrome? Can get that.
So what is it? For you anyway.
Should I have started another thread?

It is simply a designation that is recognizable hung on a collection of parts different enough to be recognizable (that they know they can get people to extra for).  A Fire bike or a Cop bike or some military honorary model are what they are for what they are; not because of which line they came off of.  Why is ours any different?  If ours were CVO bikes only because of the separate line in the old un-air conditioned building at York then all the CVO models produced at Kansas City weren't CVO bikes either.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 02:35:15 AM »

I don't have one, but almost did.  To me it was/is about a special bike that Harley designed & built.  THEIR version of a factory hot rod.  That's cool enough.

CVO to Harley is what AMG is to Mercedes and what the M Series is to BMW.  I think they should/could have done better on the performance side though.  Not to offend, but I just think they could have done better.  My expectation anyway.  On the design side they WOW you!  :2vrolijk_21:

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »

CVO to Harley is what AMG is to Mercedes and what the M Series is to BMW.  I think they should/could have done better on the performance side though.  Not to offend, but I just think they could have done better.  My expectation anyway.  On the design side they WOW you!  :2vrolijk_21:

I hope a bunch of German's don't find your address and come over to beat you with a schnitzel.  No offense, but that is about the most ridiculous comparison I've seen yet for the CVO.  AMG, the M series, even Ford's SVO/SVT which was the inspiration for CVO, all have significant handling and power improvements over the lesser models.  CVO's get the same limp handling, the same brakes, an engine that is a step backward from the previous version, a bunch of Chinese chrome appearance items, several accessories that cause more grief than anything else (think heated handgrips, for instance), and poor quality.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes and BMW didn't sue you.

Jerry  ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boss Man

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only CVO owner who isn't as satisfied as they should be after spending $34K on a "custom" bike. I rate my satisfaction with my 09 CUSE4 as neutral... not particularly satisfied or dissatisfied.

I had considered two options prior to spending the cash on a CVO. Buy an older model Ultra, tear it down and build a real custom bagger or buy a CVO. If I had it to do all over again I would build my own. I figure the cost would be about the same but I would have a real custom bagger not a collection of HD accessories added to a stock FLHT.   

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone but the truth is the MoCo doesn't build a custom bike at all. The CVO bikes are really value added bikes by virtue of the additional accessories. I doubt you could buy a stock FLHT, add the CVO accessories and be under the CVO price.   

Like all of us I made the decision to buy a CVO and I make the best of it. They are real nice bikes for sure but hanging a custom name on them is going a bit too far. If MoCo wants to call the them custom they can begin by asking the people who own them what they can do to make them more of a custom bike. I'll take some bets on that one! 

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »

I hope a bunch of German's don't find your address and come over to beat you with a schnitzel.  No offense, but that is about the most ridiculous comparison I've seen yet for the CVO.  AMG, the M series, even Ford's SVO/SVT which was the inspiration for CVO, all have significant handling and power improvements over the lesser models.  CVO's get the same limp handling, the same brakes, an engine that is a step backward from the previous version, a bunch of Chinese chrome appearance items, several accessories that cause more grief than anything else (think heated handgrips, for instance), and poor quality.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes and BMW didn't sue you.

Jerry  ;)

I'm with you!!!!  My post was poorly worded.  I was walking on eggshells a bit, not wanting to offend.  After all.... this IS a CVO site, and I don't ride one.  You know it's like your wife can say she's fat but you can't.  

To the point, my wording, "that's what I expected", translate that's what I think Harley should make CVO.  An overall performance AND chrome do-dads bike.  

They definitely DID make an effort at adding performance!  With exception of the very early models (correct me here), CVO's have always had a larger displacement engine.  To my way of looking at things, that gives the buyer the impression that a CVO is a PERFORMANCE bike (and it's billed as such from the sales force).  But it's far from their greatest effort in that department.  CVO's would really be something if they upgraded brakes, suspension, and engine.  THEN, yes, they would (as they should be) be to Harley what AMG and M are to Benz & BMW.  Had they been, I'd probably be riding one. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:51:03 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only CVO owner who isn't as satisfied as they should be after spending $34K on a "custom" bike. I rate my satisfaction with my 09 CUSE4 as neutral... not particularly satisfied or dissatisfied.

I had considered two options prior to spending the cash on a CVO. Buy an older model Ultra, tear it down and build a real custom bagger or buy a CVO. If I had it to do all over again I would build my own. I figure the cost would be about the same but I would have a real custom bagger not a collection of HD accessories added to a stock FLHT.   

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone but the truth is the MoCo doesn't build a custom bike at all. The CVO bikes are really value added bikes by virtue of the additional accessories. I doubt you could buy a stock FLHT, add the CVO accessories and be under the CVO price.   

Like all of us I made the decision to buy a CVO and I make the best of it. They are real nice bikes for sure but hanging a custom name on them is going a bit too far. If MoCo wants to call the them custom they can begin by asking the people who own them what they can do to make them more of a custom bike. I'll take some bets on that one! 

Well said   All Ican say is I am glad I own my 04 SEEG an cosider it a CVO

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »

I could not have said that one better either......HELLO MOCO!!!!!!!! ARE YOU THERE???????WE CARE, DO YOU???????
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »

Notice:  Joking but entirely sexist comment upcoming.  Only intended as coarse humor.  Please proceed to your regularly scheduled post.

Y'know what Brian?  I think Harley has it all wrong.  It's not the current status of any one line that's the problem.  It's all the lines.  If they want to ramp up sales the staff all the lines with workers with safety glasses, hard hats and bikinis and hire workers appropriate to the attire.  Then webcam the whole thing.  Along with that have the girls occasionally hold up a sign over a bike like "Bob from Phoenix, this one's for you!" 

They'd sell all the could build.

thats some funny chit. but guess what, it'd work!!
refer back to this post when it becomes a reality. :D

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »

I hope a bunch of German's don't find your address and come over to beat you with a schnitzel. 

Yummm.  Schnitzel :drink: .

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »

I think the performance is severly hampered by the EPA, however if you do the right things to your bike like tuner, a/c and exhaust work you will be pleased. However many are too cheap to spend the money on the DYNO, because you cant see it like flashey chrome, I did mine from day one and dont have any complaints about heat or many other issues like a lot of others. However the Valve noise concerns me but no real problem so far. I priced building a 110 or 113 on a regular Ultra, was at 33K, and didn't have the chrome front end, wheels, anti lock brakes, GPS, I know its not the best, but I dont need something hanging on my handlebars looking nerdy either, heated grips, heated seats, garage door opener, cover,  and anything else I forgot.

I know I enjoy it and may have spent too much on it but I am Happy with it, and it dont make any sense to complain here and guess what all that are built are SOLD.

Go Ahead blast me

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »

I think the performance is severly hampered by the EPA, however if you do the right things to your bike like tuner, a/c and exhaust work you will be pleased. However many are too cheap to spend the money on the DYNO, because you cant see it like flashey chrome, I did mine from day one and dont have any complaints about heat or many other issues like a lot of others. However the Valve noise concerns me but no real problem so far. I priced building a 110 or 113 on a regular Ultra, was at 33K, and didn't have the chrome front end, wheels, anti lock brakes, GPS, I know its not the best, but I dont need something hanging on my handlebars looking nerdy either, heated grips, heated seats, garage door opener, cover,  and anything else I forgot.

I know I enjoy it and may have spent too much on it but I am Happy with it, and it dont make any sense to complain here and guess what all that are built are SOLD.

Go Ahead blast me

Casper, the EPA doesn't build motorcycles (or any other vehicle).  Honda manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate, BMW manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate, Briggs & Stratton manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate (lawnmowers, etc. also have to meet emission rules now), the auto industry can sell you 600 plus horsepower that is EPA legal, but Harley-Davidson can't give you more than 80 horsepower for your $35k and it runs like crap, overheats, and requires you the owner to violate the law and tamper with the emission system in order to make it run right and last for a decent amount of time.  I personally get real tired of folks blaming it all on the EPA.  Put the blame exactly where it belongs, on the MoCo.

BTW, your answer is to trash the emission system.  What happens when states start requiring annual emission testing like California has proposed?  Do you move to another state?  Or do you pay to put the bike back to stock for the test, then pay to switch it back, then pay again in another year to put it back to stock, etc.?  The real answer is for the folks taking your $35k to build a bike that doesn't require breaking the law and investing thousands of dollars just to make it run decently.  Oh, and while they're at it, they could try making all the other parts reliable as well.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:30:52 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boss Man

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »

I think the performance is severly hampered by the EPA, however if you do the right things to your bike like tuner, a/c and exhaust work you will be pleased. However many are too cheap to spend the money on the DYNO, because you cant see it like flashey chrome, I did mine from day one and dont have any complaints about heat or many other issues like a lot of others. However the Valve noise concerns me but no real problem so far. I priced building a 110 or 113 on a regular Ultra, was at 33K, and didn't have the chrome front end, wheels, anti lock brakes, GPS, I know its not the best, but I dont need something hanging on my handlebars looking nerdy either, heated grips, heated seats, garage door opener, cover,  and anything else I forgot.

Go Ahead blast me

Another MoCo Kool Aid drinker!

Zekester

• CVO1: 2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King Black Ice PCIII Rineharts
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »

Don't mean to offend anyone, but....

Sounds like we'll be seein' some of you on what - a Jap cruiser bike? A Beemer?  Look, I agree these are not "performance" bikes, (go get a H'Busa), not "custom" (OCC will build you one for $150k), and they are not "perfect". BUT, they DO perform better that their stock sibling, and they are more "customized" than their stock sibling. In fact, that IS what CVO's are all about - Inspiration for someone with a basic model. Every part on your CVO is available through HD to anyone.

Regarding quality: We all want and expect better quality. But I have to say, fit and finish and quality of materials is superior on a CVO as compared to their stock siblings.

Regarding performance: If we were ready to accept a  liquid cooled .....

So, ride it and enjoy it for what it is. Don't like it anymore, try a Vespa or something!

Just my .02   Zeke

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
CVO no longer to be separate assembly operation
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »

This information was posted on HDF:

"Hello, I just wanted to pass some useful info to all CVO owners out there. Since the founding of CVO many years ago the Touring and Softail models have been built in a separate building in York,PA. I am one of the lucky few who build them. Today they announced that they were no longer going to be built by a few (12 on Softail, 28 on Touring) caring and diligent workers. They are going to be intergrated onto the main assembly lines where 75 people at the least put parts on these bikes. We in CVO work in teams of 2 on Softail and 4 on Touring. These 2-4 people built the whole bike not just put a few parts on. We take pride in what we do and try to build the best bike possible and have always beleived that CVO owners really appreciated the idea that the are built this way. When we questioned them on this they stated "The people who buy CVO don't care if they are built indivdually or on the main lines" I have a hard time beleiving this. I would rather have a bike built by 2 people rather than 75 who don't care if the person before them put the right parts on. If you think the same please let your voice be heard. Send letters, email the company, Tell your local dealer to pass your dismay along. Mail letters to Harley Davidson, 1425 Eden Rd, York PA 17403 or Harley Davidson Motor Co,3800 W. Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203. If you could please pass this along to any and all CVO owners and Owners Groups it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

Here's the link:

http://hdforums.com/forum/screamin-eagle-cvo-models/360593-cvo-no-longer-to-be-seperate-operation.html

Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of what's reported.  If it's been posted elsewhere previously, apologies for duplicating it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.