Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: CVO not to be seperate operation anymore  (Read 8755 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: CVO not to be seperate operation anymore
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 12:40:39 AM »

But I have to say, fit and finish and quality of materials is superior on a CVO as compared to their stock siblings.

This community's history suggests otherwise.  System paint issues some years that didn't exist in the non-CVO cohort.  Two years worth of systemic engine issues that didn't exist there either.  All that along with relatively common assembly fit and finish errors that do seem less common on bikes from the standard lines.  I'd love (or hate, depending on your perspective) to see percentage of fleet warranty specs for CVO versus the "standard" fleet.  Our own internal history suggests we're more than a bit above the baseline.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Re: CVO no longer to be separate assembly operation
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 05:02:51 AM »

I'm really sad to here that, do you think there is going to be lack of QC? :soapbox:

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »

Don't mean to offend anyone, but....

Sounds like we'll be seein' some of you on what - a Jap cruiser bike? A Beemer?  Look, I agree these are not "performance" bikes, (go get a H'Busa), not "custom" (OCC will build you one for $150k), and they are not "perfect". BUT, they DO perform better that their stock sibling, and they are more "customized" than their stock sibling. In fact, that IS what CVO's are all about - Inspiration for someone with a basic model. Every part on your CVO is available through HD to anyone.

Regarding quality: We all want and expect better quality. But I have to say, fit and finish and quality of materials is superior on a CVO as compared to their stock siblings.

Regarding performance: If we were ready to accept a  liquid cooled .....

So, ride it and enjoy it for what it is. Don't like it anymore, try a Vespa or something!

Just my .02   Zeke

Not true.  You as a CVO owner cannot even buy painted parts without returning or proving theft, etc.

As I quickly learned, having a factory custom with production in the thousands is actually the opposite.  Because it is a "package", in reality you own the most duplicated bike.  Very few changes are made to a CVO, so nobody else even looks at them after they have seen their first one.  I've been to breakfast where there were three blue SERKs like I had.  It negates the whole idea to have a custom if they are all identical.  That's my opinion of course.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

It negates the whole idea to have a custom if they are all identical.  That's my opinion of course.

Try riding up on a black FLHX with Reinharts!!!  :-\
Big Lew
IBA #595

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »

I was at Williamsport, Maryland Bike Night this past Saturday...guess what...there were three 2008 CVO Ultras there in the Anniverary color!!!!  Three in this little Burg and the only built 1800!!

When you see a CVO Bike, really only CVO Owners tend to look at them and realize they are different than the stock scoots coming off the assemby line.

napalm
napalm

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »

When you see a CVO Bike, really only CVO Owners tend to look at them and realize they are different than the stock scoots coming off the assemby line.

napalm

Especially the last few years as the CVO paint schemes haven't been that much more dramatic than some of the stock two offerings.  With some models past the CVO paint schemes have been a more significant departure from base OE offerings.  They got noticed more when they were the new kids on the block.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »

Especially the last few years as the CVO paint schemes haven't been that much more dramatic than some of the stock two offerings.  With some models past the CVO paint schemes have been a more significant departure from base OE offerings.  They got noticed more when they were the new kids on the block.

Yes, like my new Orange/Black '09 SERG.....

Hi Don, I did it and now I've got a new '09 SERG.  The '08 SERK Annie was a great bike and as you know, I only had the old '76 FLH shovelhead as a comparison, so the SERK was a miracle in engineering compared to the old bike.  Now that I've been used to the '08 touring chassis, the '09 touring chassis is much firmer and seems to be smoother too.  I love the fixed fairing a lot.  I'm glad I bit the bullet and did it now.  In another couple weeks my trade would have been worth a lot less.  I ended up getting just about $24k out of it on trade and they discounted the new SERG to boot.  Good deal in my mind.

I got lots of looks this past weekend, even when I left the dealership with the wife on the back.  All the guys seemed to know about the bike and were jaw dropping over it.

I'm enjoying it so far very much.

My wife didn't like it as a SERG nor did she like the O/B, the Silver/Grey would have been her choice.  She'll get over it someday.

Ride on.....

;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »

Yes, like my new Orange/Black '09 SERG.....

Hi Don, I did it and now I've got a new '09 SERG.  The '08 SERK Annie was a great bike and as you know, I only had the old '76 FLH shovelhead as a comparison, so the SERK was a miracle in engineering compared to the old bike.  Now that I've been used to the '08 touring chassis, the '09 touring chassis is much firmer and seems to be smoother too.  I love the fixed fairing a lot.  I'm glad I bit the bullet and did it now.  In another couple weeks my trade would have been worth a lot less.  I ended up getting just about $24k out of it on trade and they discounted the new SERG to boot.  Good deal in my mind.

I got lots of looks this past weekend, even when I left the dealership with the wife on the back.  All the guys seemed to know about the bike and were jaw dropping over it.

I'm enjoying it so far very much.

My wife didn't like it as a SERG nor did she like the O/B, the Silver/Grey would have been her choice.  She'll get over it someday.

Ride on.....

;D  ;D  ;D

Have enjoyed watching your comments as the migration to the new SERG has taken place.  Even the old SERGs are nice bikes to ride.  The fixed fairing on the new chassis has to be a fun combination.  Keep having fun :drink: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

Many people see my B/B '04 SEEG and say:  Nice custom paint, who did it?  or Nice customized Harley, did you do it?  My pat answer is: It's all Harley 'custom' from the factory.  This is after years of riding customized choppers and questions about who did what and where'd you get that?  So......I consider it a 'factory custom' and it's as nicely done as most if not better and for much less $$$.  JMHO.  ??? spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »

Having purchased a CVO and seeing some flaws I would not expect of a "hand built" motorcycle, I say put it on the assembly line like the rest.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »

Many people see my B/B '04 SEEG and say:  Nice custom paint, who did it?  or Nice customized Harley, did you do it?  My pat answer is: It's all Harley 'custom' from the factory.  This is after years of riding customized choppers and questions about who did what and where'd you get that?  So......I consider it a 'factory custom' and it's as nicely done as most if not better and for much less $$$.  JMHO.  ??? spyder

You are dead on accurate.  I have experienced the same thing...  Even here in Sturgis this week

MD-Dave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

You are dead on accurate.  I have experienced the same thing...  Even here in Sturgis this week

Same thing here.  I had another rider at a rest stop tell me that he never liked the Road Glides but he really liked what I did with mine.  You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that is how it came.  I don't think he really believed me.   :confused5:

doubledown

• 2009 SERG Orange/Black
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »

Casper, the EPA doesn't build motorcycles (or any other vehicle).  Honda manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate, BMW manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate, Briggs & Stratton manages to build engines that run great right out of the crate (lawnmowers, etc. also have to meet emission rules now), the auto industry can sell you 600 plus horsepower that is EPA legal, but Harley-Davidson can't give you more than 80 horsepower for your $35k and it runs like crap, overheats, and requires you the owner to violate the law and tamper with the emission system in order to make it run right and last for a decent amount of time.  I personally get real tired of folks blaming it all on the EPA.  Put the blame exactly where it belongs, on the MoCo.

BTW, your answer is to trash the emission system.  What happens when states start requiring annual emission testing like California has proposed?  Do you move to another state?  Or do you pay to put the bike back to stock for the test, then pay to switch it back, then pay again in another year to put it back to stock, etc.?  The real answer is for the folks taking your $35k to build a bike that doesn't require breaking the law and investing thousands of dollars just to make it run decently.  Oh, and while they're at it, they could try making all the other parts reliable as well.

Jerry

All the engines you listed are water cooled.None are air cooled v-twins, Porsche had to make the jump in the mid 90s to meet emissions.
Fullsac x-pipe
2" power cores
tts master tuner
Fullsac map
30T primary
Works Perf.shocks
if it aint broke fix it till it is!

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »

well here we go again.....opinions are like butt holes  ! I love my bike, and the people that know what she is appreciate her and those that dont do also. I didnt buy it for anyone else  but me and Im happy ! If you dont like yours sell it and buy a Honda. :bananarock:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

Well.....just cruise'n through the site ,since I'm new here, and ran accross these posts.....in response to "Zekester"s quote "all parts are available to everyone"......gotta differ with you on that one ....alot of SE parts;medallions ;hardware , etc are VIN # SPECIFIC! in other words....some things you CAN'T buy without an SE Vin#....brother-in-law found that out the hard way with an 07 Ultra....made a lot'o mods, 113 kit , the whole works, tried trade'n as a Scream"n Eagle to several dealers for a newer CVO bike ....rude awakening!!  which I personally think is good that they won't sell certain things to non CVO owners, otherwise , everybody'd be trying to clone bikes and pass them off as CVO's  You can't even buy the "CVO" dust cover without a vin # for a CVO...........
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 21 queries.